SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Muzzle brake on 7mm question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle brake on 7mm question Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I am working on a lightweight Tikka project in 7mm RM.
I am considering a muzzle brake for it. Shoot with and without so I am familiar with them. The up and down side. So plz spare me the typical "shooting next to someone with one at the range" comments.

Because I want to keep this rifle as light as possible I am woondering about options on particular versions. My local gunsmith has his own which has worked well for me. But am wondering about other options and cost's. It is a stainless version.

I am not dead set on one.
Also a person I respect say's it enhances accuracy.
Which I have no idea if true or not but that will have little of no bearing on my decision. Thanks

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
All I can say is that there’s no guarantee that a muzzle brake will enhance the inherent accuracy of the rifle. It may improve practical accuracy because the shooter isn’t being subjected to the same degree of recoil and may be more comfortable shooting the gun, but that’s all.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
His comment was not related to that. It was as I said. He said it enhances the rifles accuracy. I am not saying it is true. But that is what he said.

And he said very minimally, but so.

But to stay on topic. Lets discuss different muzzle brakes you have or know of and the quality and cost.

Thx

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Sorry; thought the comment was about enhancing accuracy. Carry on.

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What muzzle thread?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know squat about muzzle brakes except to say they are banned in NRA competition. Beyond that, I fail to see how adding anything to a barrel "enhances accuracy." However, that said, there is a small group of yahoos in F-class that actually believes in barrel tuners, the idiots. I seriously doubt a muzzle brake would act as a barrel tuner as it's designed completely wrong to do that.

So, I would not dismiss what sigfreund said in such a cavalier fashion, because I think he may be more correct than you think. Beyond the inherent precision of a rifle and ammo, the 7-8 pounds of wet gray goo in a weird box on top of your shoulders has an inordinate amount of influence on the accuracy of your rifle and if it helps that goo to believe the brake helps it, so much the better.

Muzzle brakes should be banned. On the other hand, I'm really taking a liking to suppressors and will be pushing NRA to accept those in competition. They are so, civilized.

And yes, they are an addition to a barrel, but I can see where working with them could produce something phenomenal. A quieter tack driver, albeit too late for my hearing.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
No issue SF Cool

Barrel is not factory threaded.

posted Hide Post
PRS brake survey
There are many muzzle brake users in Precision Rifle Series competition. A have APA brakes for both my 6.5/308 and my 223 rifles. APA brakes are very effective on reducing recoil.

As Sigfreund stated, noticeable accuracy improvement is from reducing recoil to the shooter, not from a hunk of metal on the muzzle.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive always thought the Micro Bastard was the best brake for a Tikka.

https://www.americanprecisiona...rakes/micro-bastard/

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I've got the BOSS system on my Browning 7mm Mag. If you spend the time tuning it, you will see better accuracy or worse. The reason or one of them for better accuracy is also the reduced recoil. That part really does work. Brings it back to the level of a 7mm Mauser, not worse than a .30-06.

For me, the hardest part was letting the barrel cool off between shots and adjustments. The book that Browning provides suggests some starting settings. If you doubt the value of reduced recoil and vibrations, just take the brake and locknut off and shoot it a few times.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suggest a APA brake. Most effective brake I've used. Tried several others on my rifles, been behind friends braked rifles...

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My opinion is in no way a direct reflection on NikonUser.

NRA Competitions tend to lag behind the times with advancements. I do respect their shooting abilities but the tedium of that discipline is overwhelming....to me.

APA Lil Bastard Brakes are an excellent design. They are designed for recoil mitigation. This allows a shooter a better opportunity to see bullet trace, Impacts, or misses. The brake device is not designed as a barrel tuner or to affect accuracy.

With large caliber and magnum calibers, the addition of a brake is very helpful.

To those that complain about the "noise"...... I'd suggest an air rifle.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The JP Rifles "Recoil Eliminator" has a great reputation, but they are ugly. I have never used one.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php

I have shot an AR with one of JP Rifles' more conventional-looking compensators, and they are very effective. They make them for many bore diameters.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I had a Thompson Contender in 7mmBR, .308Win and .45-70, because I could. All three barrels multi-port muzzle brakes fitted that did totally zero, except spread the misery along the firing line. One wag asked me if they had been fitted back-to-front...

Sorry for thread drift.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Back in the day I had a Thompson Contender in 7mmBR, .308Win and .45-70, because I could. All three barrels multi-port muzzle brakes fitted that did totally zero, except spread the misery along the firing line. One wag asked me if they had been fitted back-to-front...

Sorry for thread drift.

tac

I've got single shot pistols in all those calibers. The 7 BR isn't braked, and doesn't need to be. The 308 I'll have to assume the brake is effective since I haven't considered shooting it without it mounted. I do have an unbraked 308 SSP without a brake, but it has a longer barrel that helps mitigate recoil.

I have an SSK Contender barrel in 45-70 that is magnaported I've never shot. My Contender frame is early and the later barrel won't unlock. I either need to get a later frame or have my early one modified for later barrels before I can shoot it.

Regarding the OPs rifle, even though its much easier to brake it as you are building, I'd wait until you've shot it some before deciding to brake it. 7MM Rem Mag isn't a real boomer as far as recoil, and you might never know if it was dead nuts accurate unbraked that might be altered with a brake.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post