SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Non "Assault Weapon", semiautomatic, magazine fed carbine/rifle for a 95lb girl?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non "Assault Weapon", semiautomatic, magazine fed carbine/rifle for a 95lb girl? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
As of right now, the Mini-14 and M1 Carbine are in the lead, with the Ruger PCC9 (or .40) a close second.

The Ruger PCC9 just might win because it'll be the cheapest, and honestly, the gun is likely just going to sit in the safe. $2000 for a Fulton Armory M1 is tempting, but only if I'm justifying it has a heirloom gun for the kids one day.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Actually it was my understanding that the CX4 is considered a thumbhole stock and not an actual traditional pistol grip since the pistol grip section is linked to the stock and not separate on its own but my bad if my impression was incorrect for CA. Even if it was not acceptable as is, I believe there is also a wrap available to cover the hole, but not sure if that currently works for California. What a PITA!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Kel-Tec RDB-S and RDB-C models fit your criteria.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Ruger Mini-14 223 / 556 would be my choice for the lil gal.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One last comment to consider - well two...

1 - If possible allow her to handle the Ruger PCC because as others here have said - it is heavier than most think and most of that weight is in the all steel receiver...I have one and it is my wife’s primary complaint when we pull it out to shoot the pistol carbines....I end up shooting the Ruger after she grabs my PSA - AR9...

2 - With the Shot Show less than two weeks away you might want to hold off to see if any companies announce a variant of a current offering in 40cal.....(like Ruger)

Just a couple of suggestions to consider...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't waste my time with a pistol caliber in a rifle. If it's come down to my wife fighting for her life, I would want a rifle caliber. I would go mini-14/mini 30.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
One last comment to consider - well two...

1 - If possible allow her to handle the Ruger PCC because as others here have said - it is heavier than most think and most of that weight is in the all steel receiver...I have one and it is my wife’s primary complaint when we pull it out to shoot the pistol carbines....I end up shooting the Ruger after she grabs my PSA - AR9...

2 - With the Shot Show less than two weeks away you might want to hold off to see if any companies announce a variant of a current offering in 40cal.....(like Ruger)

Just a couple of suggestions to consider...Mark

Probably a good idea to wait until the shot show is over. Thanks!

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
As of right now, the Mini-14 and M1 Carbine are in the lead, with the Ruger PCC9 (or .40) a close second.

The Ruger PCC9 just might win because it'll be the cheapest, and honestly, the gun is likely just going to sit in the safe. $2000 for a Fulton Armory M1 is tempting, but only if I'm justifying it has a heirloom gun for the kids one day.

a Fulton M1 Carbine will likely never be a collectable,

for that kind of money, you can get a mixmaster USGI one, and have a good gunsmith go thru it , and have cash left over for ammo/accessories

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigNull:

Good point -- I haven't actually had any experience with either, but the RFB of the family is on my to-be-seriously-considered list.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The only drawback with the M1 is that ammo is less common than .223 or 9mm.

I'd pick the Mini 14, myself.

And, is that how you introduce her? This is Jane, my little tactical liability?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, I like the idea of an M-1 Carbine or the new Ruger PC carbine. Another idea is a Winchester Model 73 in 357 Magnum. Its not semi-auto but it fits your other criteria. On the other end, how about a Beretta Cx4 Storm? It looks like something out of Battlestar Galactica but you can get it in 9mm and 40 S&W.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I am firmly in the Mini 14 camp. I love the M1 carbine, own a few. But for parts, ammo, everything else availability, the Mini wins hands down. The Mini is also easier to adapt to modern optics if you so choose. To me (5'4", 150lbs) recoil is the same. I wouldn't hesitste to use the M1 in the self defense role if it was all I had, but if I also had a Mini that would be my choice.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
This is Mini 14 all day everyday and twice on Sunday.

Parts check
Reliability check
Light and handy check
Non scary check
Rifle caliber check
Cheap to shoot check
MOA (minute of asshole) check
History check
Customer service check

Is it an AR15 or other combat derived rifle? No. Is it far more than adequate for ANY practical self defense need this side of war or invasion. Hell yes.

They shoulder and feel great too.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Parts check
Reliability check
Light and handy check
Non scary check
Rifle caliber check
Cheap to shoot check
MOA (minute of asshole) check
History check
Customer service check

Is it an AR15 or other combat derived rifle? No. Is it far more than adequate for ANY practical self defense need this side of war or invasion. Hell yes.

Parts are available for the mini-14?

I think a Fightlight SCR would be the best option. Easy to swap AR uppers. The most readily available spare parts and accessories. Best optic mounting options. Ubiquitous magazines.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Parts check

Yep. If something breaks on your Mini-14 during the societal collapse scenario the OP has posited, all you have to do is just ship it back to Ruger, and in 4-6 weeks they'll replace any broken parts and get it back to you. Big Grin

(Ruger won't sell you most spare/replacement parts for the Mini-14. They want it sent back to them if something breaks.)

quote:
History check

Does it really, though?

quote:

On that we can agree. Wink

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Mini-14 for the win

Second choice would be a ruger 44 mag carbine

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

And, is that how you introduce her? This is Jane, my little tactical liability?

Basically, yes Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holger Danske:
quote:
Originally posted by sigNull:

Good point -- I haven't actually had any experience with either, but the RFB of the family is on my to-be-seriously-considered list.

The RDB-C calls to me even though I don't live in a restricted state. If I did live in CA I'd have one for sure. Smile or is it "fer sure"

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Another consideration that perhaps escaped your sights is a featureless AR15, there are a large number of options on stocks, grip substitutes, muzzle brakes, etc. Pros- still uses the AR platform, magazines, parts, etc., making availability of parts almost endless. 5.56 ammo. More customization compared to the Mini 14. No bullet button needed. Can be converted back to "normal" if stuff really hits the fan. Cons- Still has a tactical aesthetic. More likely will have to built from scratch. Dirtier operating system than Mini 14. Will cost more than a used or even new Mini 14.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the M1 Carbine for this application, but ammo will be more readily available for the Mini-14 or the featureless AR-15. Parts are more readily available for the featureless AR. It can be fired by a twig of a girl (or a young lady; don’t let your young wife see the title to this thread!). It can also be easily converted to have some of those “evil” features in the event of need in the breakdown of all law and order.

If it were my choice, I’d go with the featureless AR-15.

Good luck with whatever you decide and pray that it never comes to the situation where you need to use it for the purpose outlined in the OP.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post