SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Non "Assault Weapon", semiautomatic, magazine fed carbine/rifle for a 95lb girl?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non "Assault Weapon", semiautomatic, magazine fed carbine/rifle for a 95lb girl? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ruger 9mm PCC

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A mini 14 is the closest looking and bears the most similarity to a 10/22 and is a good choice. I think the Ruger looks a little assault riflish and a used Marlin Camp 9, also bears a lot of resemblance to a 10/22 would be a great choice.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The Ares SCR looks pretty amazing. I'd really like to handle one of those. Be even better if it had a left side charging handle...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12764 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's step back for a moment.

Your wife has not yet shot a long gun of any kind.
You intend to have her shoot your 10/22.
You intend to have her attend an Appleseed shoot.

You seem to be choosing her type and caliber of center-fire rifle (her second rifle!), before she has even shot her first rifle.

You're getting the cart before the horse. Let time and events play out first.

You've been married.....how long now?

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
I'm in the M1 Carbine camp. Everyone who has shot mine loves it.

My only hesitation would be the 10-round magazine criteria. It looks like there are after-market 10-round mags, but I don't know how reliable they are. The mags seem to be the weak point for M1 carbines -- I have decent luck with the Korean mags, but of course those are fifteen rounders. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can give you the scoop.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holger Danske:
I'm in the M1 Carbine camp. Everyone who has shot mine loves it.

My only hesitation would be the 10-round magazine criteria. It looks like there are after-market 10-round mags, but I don't know how reliable they are. The mags seem to be the weak point for M1 carbines -- I have decent luck with the Korean mags, but of course those are fifteen rounders. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can give you the scoop.

KeepShooting.com's new production M1 Carbine magazines seem to get good reviews. And it looks like they offer 10 round magazines.

https://www.keepshooting.com/m...-round-magazine.html

Another option is to get USGI surplus or Korean 15 round magazines that have been blocked to only hold 10 rounds. I use USGI and Korean 15 and 30 rounders with my M1 Carbines.

http://www.country-spirit.com/...-md-ma-ny-legal.html

http://www.country-spirit.com/...-ma-nj-ny-legal.html

(I don't have any experience with the above retailer or the blocked magazines, but it's an example of something that I turned up with a quick Google.)

Don't bother with cheap aftermarket carbine mags. For example, I see ProMag offers a 10 round M1 Carbine magazine, but you'd just be wasting your money.

Posts: 32476 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Different line of through entirely but what about semi auto shotgun if you are worried about SD type functions. Simple, wide variety of loads. Good in CQB which is where she might need it most. (Vs shooting distance) Not saying this is a better idea just another idea for you. Get some low recoil stuff.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm also in California, so logging in to provide you with a less free perspective. The M1 Carbine is on my "covet" list, but is very difficult to find in California in decent condition and at a decent price. These days, it will be hard to buy out of state (Gunbroker) and find an FFL willing to deal with it. Then you'll need to find legal/functional 10 round magazines. While I really want one, it's a boutique item in CA so remains on my someday list.

The Ruger PCC looks nice, but I had its predecessor, PC40, and found recoil to be greater than an AR or Mini 14 while offering less effective range and power. I sold it.

The Mini 14 is a great choice in California now that AWB 2.0 is in effect. I find it very handy, minimal recoil, reliable factory 10 round magazines are abundant, it hasn't been targeted by a ban yet (although with the new leg and Newsom, all semi autos are at risk), and looks pretty benign with a wood stock. I find the safety very intuitive and the bolt on the right side where it should be. The mag release is a little funky.

The SCR is also very nice. I actually prefer (gasp) the traditional stock over the AR15 pistol grip. It's a super soft shooter, upper can be built to spec, optics are an easy add and magazines are available and cheap (Magpul 10 rounders). Drawbacks are its AR15 upper may/will subject it to ban BS and you're stuck with the trigger (mine's perfectly adequate but not exciting) and traditional 1100 safety (which works well) and you'll need to spring for a bolt hold open. The lower also has proprietary parts and bolt carrier, so not as easily modified as a standard AR.

The Mini and SCR are my go to California friendly rifles. If I had to hand one to a novice, it would be the Mini. Especially if that novice had only used a 10/22.

Posts: 89 | Registered: November 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
The Ares SCR looks pretty amazing. I'd really like to handle one of those. Be even better if it had a left side charging handle...

Since they take and AR upper, you could use a side charging upper from Gibbs or others and have exactly what you want.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Any recommendations for spiffy lever action .357's?

Marlin .357 lever actions aren't quite as well finished as they once were, but I think it's a viable option. Loading through the loading gate can be a bit difficult at first, it takes a certain touch to do well. Hand strength might be an issue if Mrs. Aeteocles is so petite.

Henry rifles are in a similar class, but they load differently. Instead of a loading gate, you draw the rod and follower out of the magazine tube until the loading port near the muzzle is open, drop in rounds until full, and then re-seat the tube - this operation doesn't require any special hand strength or dexterity.

I find .357 lever guns to be light and handy, with very manageable recoil. And a .357 magnum round that's had 16" of barrel or so to build speed is formidable.

Most of the .357 lever guns will also shoot .38 special, too.

I think there's dovetail mounts on the top of Marlin and Henry receivers, so you could pretty easily attach a red dot or optic if you desired.

I thought about a .357 lever shooting 38 special JHP. Should have decent energy.

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8845 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Let's step back for a moment.

Your wife has not yet shot a long gun of any kind.
You intend to have her shoot your 10/22.
You intend to have her attend an Appleseed shoot.

You seem to be choosing her type and caliber of center-fire rifle (her second rifle!), before she has even shot her first rifle.

You're getting the cart before the horse. Let time and events play out first.

You've been married.....how long now?

About a year and a half =)

I get what you are saying, but it's like a company vehicle or police issued equipment. She's gonna use what she's issued. Neither she nor I have any desire to turn this into a hobby for her. I need her to have a weapon to fill a specific role and her (uninformed, unresearched) "preferences" won't change the fact that the weapon she ends up with is going to be the one that was selected because it is objectively the best suited for the task given our needs and constraints.

If she "wanted" a gun, then this conversation would go entirely differently. But this isn't that situation. So long as she can demonstrate that she can adhere to the 4 firearms safety rules, the cart, the horse, and all of it's passengers are getting loaded onto a freight train for delivery.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M1 Carbine, it's Mrs. 94Hokie's zombie apocalypse gun. She can handle it easily, isn't too heavy, holds "enough" rounds and has an adequate caliber. I understand it might be more difficult in CA to acquire one, but that would get my vote.

Posts: 1623 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
Different line of through entirely but what about semi auto shotgun if you are worried about SD type functions. Simple, wide variety of loads. Good in CQB which is where she might need it most. (Vs shooting distance) Not saying this is a better idea just another idea for you. Get some low recoil stuff.

Amurr, thanks for the input.

We've got a Remington 870 with an 18.5" barrel and a Magpul stock and foreend, and it's actually very handy--for me, at least.

But, a shotgun with with 7 or 8 shells loaded in a tube is actually too unwieldy for the wife. It's a balance issue with too much of the weight slung out too far from the body. Imagine like a 7 or 8 year old girl leaning way back to lift a shotgun up. That's my wife.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

This SCR is really intriguing.

The Cobalt Kinetics is similar, uses all AR parts so I don't have to worry about different lowers/lower parts, and has a buffer tube height comb so I don't have to worry about adapting AR optics and iron sights to the lower stock height of the SCR.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...t-kinetics-model-27/

This is high up on the list as well, especially if I am committed to going with a tactical look firearm.

The SCR is compelling because it'll likely be about half the cost of the Cobolt Model 27.

A new Fulton Armory M1 is going to be about $2000, before I throw in mags, slings, and cheapish red dot an tools. More if I immediately consider keeping spare parts on hand.

An AR patterned rifle will just be the rifle and the optic, as I have mags, slings and all the tools and spares to support my current AR.

Oh, and ammo. I'll have to buy enough .30 carbine ammo to train and fight with. I'd add more 5.56 to support two shooters, but I wouldn't need to double what I have.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
How do we feel about Inland for a new M1? About half the cost of a Fulton Armory M1.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
.30 carbine ammo isn't available just anywhere. For that reason I'd recommend the Ruger PC9. Or, if they ever come out with it in .40, then that gun. Light, accurate, easy to work on, and takes Glock Mags.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
She's gonna use what she's issued. Neither she nor I have any desire to turn this into a hobby for her. I need her to have a weapon to fill a specific role and her (uninformed, unresearched) "preferences" won't change the fact that the weapon she ends up with is going to be the one that was selected because it is objectively the best suited for the task given our needs and constraints.

If she "wanted" a gun, then this conversation would go entirely differently. But this isn't that situation. So long as she can demonstrate that she can adhere to the 4 firearms safety rules, the cart, the horse, and all of it's passengers are getting loaded onto a freight train for delivery.

Well that sounds like a great way to introduce the significant other to a new activity.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
She's gonna use what she's issued. Neither she nor I have any desire to turn this into a hobby for her. I need her to have a weapon to fill a specific role and her (uninformed, unresearched) "preferences" won't change the fact that the weapon she ends up with is going to be the one that was selected because it is objectively the best suited for the task given our needs and constraints.

Well that sounds like a great way to introduce the significant other to a new activity.

What he's saying is, she will never see it as a hobby. He just wants something to keep her and the family safe from intruders when he's not there.

A short barreled shotgun with a rifle stock would be a very good choice also, something semi auto and 20 gauge would be a better choice for home defense in many houses over .223 IMO.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I would say consider the Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm. My wife and teenage daughters shoot mine. Plenty of access to Beretta 10 round mags, easy to handle, reliable, is an incredibly accurate 9mm carbine for me and from what I have seen most others that have owned/shot them, short overall length (30"), relatively light weight (about 5.5 to 5.75 lbs), and works well with iron sights or optics since it has a rail. It also has reversible controls and stock spacers that allow for adjusting the length of pull.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
I would say consider the Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm. My wife and teenage daughters shoot mine. Plenty of access to Beretta 10 round mags, easy to handle, reliable, is an incredibly accurate 9mm carbine for me and from what I have seen most others that have owned/shot them, short overall length (30"), relatively light weight (about 5.5 to 5.75 lbs), and works well with iron sights or optics since it has a rail. It also has reversible controls and stock spacers that allow for adjusting the length of pull.

While I don't doubt that the CX4 would fit the bill nicely in Florida, in California a detachable mag plus a pistol grip makes the CX4 a prohibited assault weapon. Same goes with the Keltec Sub2000 or a traditional AR patterned pistol caliber carbine. I mentioned the Kriss Vector because I can convert the pistol grip with a fin that prevents you from wrapping your hand around the grip, but was only going to consider it if the recoil reduction from the Vector's proprietary downward sliding bolt and buffer was worth it.

My AR-15 is grandfathered in, but still wears a bullet button to be CA compliant (fixed magazine, uses a tool to manipulate the mag release). I can quickly convert my AR into "felony mode" in dire emergencies, but I have an M1A Socom that I use as my California compliant defense weapon in all other situations.