SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "Special ops snipers will soon shoot this new rifle that can fire three different calibers"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Special ops snipers will soon shoot this new rifle that can fire three different calibers" Login/Join 
posted
The link has a still and two videos of the new rifle.

https://www.militarytimes.com/...-different-calibers/

Special ops snipers will soon shoot this new rifle that can fire three different calibers

by Todd South 4 hours ago

Special operators will soon have the Advanced Sniper Rifle with three different calibers to choose from on the same platform built by Barrett Firearms Manufacturing, a company well known for its .50 caliber sniper rifles.

U.S. Special Operations Command announced this week that they have awarded a nearly $50 million contract to Barrett to produce their Multi-Role Adaptive Design for the ASR over the next five years.

The ASR replaces the Precision Sniper Rifle for special ops snipers. It is a bolt action rifle that can be converted to fire .338 Norma Mag, .300 NM and 7.62 mm calibers.

“The United States Department of Defense announced today that Barrett has been selected to provide their MRAD as the U.S. Special Operations Command Advanced Sniper Rifle system, designated as Mk21,” the company said in a statement.

“This marks the first time in history that a father and son have had rifle designs adopted by the US military: Ronnie Barrett with M107 and Chris Barrett with Mk21.”

The company also makes the M107, designated as the M82A3, using the .50 caliber round for busting barriers and penetrating vehicle protection.

In February the Defense Department also announced the purchase of the MRAD in .300 PRC, a different caliber than what was requested for the ASR.

Last year SOCOM officials announced that they would replace their 7.62 mm sniper rifles with the 6.5 mm Creedmoor. That round, according to officials, doubles their hit probability at the 1,000-meter range, increases the effective range by half, reduces wind drift and has less recoil.

That rifle is expected to be fielded by 2022.

In 2017, SOCOM took eight to 10 shooters from three of the special operations components to fire three sniper platforms over a three-day period, Patrick Fisher, the acquisition program manager for ammunition for Special Operations Command, said at an armaments systems forum last year.

Shooters fired Knight’s Armament’s SR-25, the M110A1 Semi-Automatic Sniper System (based on Heckler & Koch’s G28) and the Mk20 Sniper Support Rifle, made by Fabrique Nationale or FN, in three cartridges — 7.62mm NATO, .260 Remington and 6.5mm Creedmoor.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this stuff!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Good for the Barrett family.
quote:
It is a bolt action rifle that can be converted to fire .338 Norma Mag, .300 NM and 7.62 mm calibers.
Page 7 of the MRAD manual has 5 additional calibers listed (338 Lapua, 300 Win, 7mm, 260 Rem, and 6.5 Creedmoor).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'll wait for the conversion to Phase Plasma in the 40 watt range. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I'll wait for the conversion to Phase Plasma in the 40 watt range. Big Grin

But an effective flash hider would be counter productive.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I know it’s been around for years, but until very recently I had never heard of the 300 Norma Magnum. Now it’s everywhere, it seems. I even went to the EuroOptic site to see what rifles they had chambered for the cartridge. I could probably talk them down to maybe $6500 for an AI; what a deal. A $200 savings would buy me almost two full boxes of ammo. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I know it’s been around for years, but until very recently I had never heard of the 300 Norma Magnum. Now it’s everywhere, it seems. I even went to the EuroOptic site to see what rifles they had chambered for the cartridge. I could probably talk them down to maybe $6500 for an AI; what a deal. A $200 savings would buy me almost two full boxes of ammo. Wink

Im thinking "Wait a little while".

Whatever SOCOM chooses, 6.5, 300WM, 300NM, .260... Im thinking that companies will saturate the market with those rounds. It could only drive the price down a little bit.

That $200 for two boxes might be $200 for 4 boxes soon enough.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
That $200 for two boxes might be $200 for 4 boxes soon enough.

Yay! Wink

6.4/93.6

— Plato