SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone seen the Walther WA 2000 for sale by someone on GB?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone seen the Walther WA 2000 for sale by someone on GB? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I have no idea who the seller is but the rifle is so rare, I thought it would be of interest. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/697899753

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
That is one ugly rifle. For 75k I'd buy a lot of different stuff

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My birthday is coming up soon, so if anyone was wondering what to get me. This will do just fine. I'll even let you shoot it, after I get a couple of groups down range.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to fight off the temptation to bid on this - or figure out how to make buying it fit within the budget.

www.gunbroker.com/item/695400100

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:

You can get a transferable full auto M60 cheaper than that ugly gun.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:

You can get a transferable full auto M60 cheaper than that ugly gun.

That was what came to my mind too

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
pretty amazing,

amazing price too

wish folks would us the break (<br>Wink instead of having a big run on paragraph

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, they are super rare, as in less than 200 ever made, most were in 308, and only nine made it to the US, and one was confirmed as destroyed in the late 1990's, meaning this is one of only eight I the Country. Given that they are highly accurate, over engineered, and supremely rare, I'd say the price is about right. Last one I saw was in 2009, and I remember having a conversation on that topic on this board. IIRC, the sale price was roughly $28,000, and this was during the depths of the depression.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I dunno, that rifle would have to perform at a level that is unobtainable by other rifles. Or have a damned unique provenance such as being the rifle that took out OBL or SH. Which it does not.

Otherwise $25,000 ~ $30,000 seems appropriate. Less if other rifles perform for a lower price.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
I dunno, that rifle would have to perform at a level that is unobtainable by other rifles. Or have a damned unique provenance such as being the rifle that took out OBL or SH. Which it does not.

Otherwise $25,000 ~ $30,000 seems appropriate. Less if other rifles perform for a lower price.

thing is, with that type of rarity, it will likely never be put thru the paces to see how it will preform,
other than maybe a round or 2, or maybe a magazine, then cleaned and put in a safe or hung on the wall or display case in a protected mancave somewhere,

I would bet it will not ever sell at that price, a deal will be done via email or FTF and it will eventually sell,
that's the way a lot of those small niche market stuff is sold,

dude is likely fishing at that price

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
And for the win - what 1980s movie featured the WA2000, and who was the shooter?

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
^^^Dalton as Bond.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
^^^Dalton as Bond.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
^^^Dalton as Bond.

Bingo.. 1987s "The Living Daylights".. Bond uses the WA2000 to perform as a counter-sniper

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding the rifle's rarity is due to an almost complete failure as a viable commercial product. In other words, the majority of agencies for which it was designed gave it thumbs down -- too expensive and too heavy.

$75k is ludicrous. Sure, it looks interesting, but it won't do anything a modern high-end AR-10 won't do. Think a GA Precision GAP-10, mount a high end scope, buy a bunch of magazines, a case or three of ammo -- out the door for 1/10 of the asking price of the Walther.

Someone has the money to waste it on this rifle, but it ain't gonna be me.

Posts: 7872 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cas -- interesting video. I also viewed his second video, where they compare the WA2000 to a Dragunov. Granted, I haven't shot a WA2000, so I'm just winging it compared to the AR-10s I've shot. Which off the top of my head include models from GAP, Larue, DPMS, KAC, Black Rain Ordnance, NEMO -- possibly a couple more. I don't think the Walther would fare all that well against today's AR-10s and their variants.

Honestly, the accuracy shown by the WA2000 was uninspiring, both on paper and steel. They made a few good runs on the speed drill on steel, however I wouldn't call them all that quick. I know steel match competitors who would be faster on that course of fire with a bolt action rifle. Give them a semiauto and the steel would be ringing like church bells.

The WA2000 is an interesting rifle. It likely laid some groundwork for future semiauto precision rifles. I'd describe it is evolutionary branch that didn't work out. Today's ARs are pretty much superior in almost every functional way, and at a significantly lower cost.

I get why some people might enjoy collecting and owning pieces of history. The wood on that rifle is just awesome. But for my limited financial resources, I choose rifles with function over form.

Posts: 7872 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yes, a 2017 Accord is faster than a 1972 Pinto.

But no one goes to a car auction and bids on a mint condition Pinto because they want a fast affordable car. Wink

I'd go as high as $800 on the Walther.
I wouldn't pay that much for an AR-10.
I have no interest or real use for either.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nsagnell
posted Hide Post
Wow, that video shows for that price you get an ugly rifle that probably won't group better than a budget AR10!

Sometimes its a rare gun because it was ugly and not very functional...

That being said, it is one of the "unicorn" guns that you just don't see very often. If money was no object I'd still get it.

--------------------------------
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Posts: 1774 | Location: Miami | Registered: June 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I'd go as high as $800 on the Walther.

I don't think you'll win that auction with an $800 bid. Just sayin' Wink