SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Might be getting M1 turned into got an M1 Garand
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Might be getting M1 turned into got an M1 Garand Login/Join 
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted
So it finally happened. Bought the M1 Garand I have been talking about. Need to figure out how I get it from Florida to Illinois. Suppose I can always ship it to my ffl. Can't ship it to myself can I?

Anyhow, plan on inviting some buddies to shoot and then putting it away for a while. My uncle-in-law took good care of it and shot it occasionally. He seemed really happy it was going to a good home. Found some other goodies he has that I am considering. One is a 357 Umberto lever rifle I know nothing about but intrigues me.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are toes allowed in open cqrry in Chicago? Roll Eyes

Sorry just in a funny mood this morning?
Nice looking M-1 and a start on the ammo and 'clips'! Wink

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
you can legally ship a firearm to yourself.

take it to Fedex or UPS and ship from a hub, the "stores" usually wont accept weapons.

I shipped an M1 once to myself from Portsmouth VA to western NC..I broke the rifle down so it wouldn't look like a gun, bubble wrapped it and boxed it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my Garand. 1953 IH model with the action redone. Opted to keep the original wood on it.
You're gonna love shooting it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Are toes allowed in open cqrry in Chicago? Roll Eyes

Sorry just in a funny mood this morning?
Nice looking M-1 and a start on the ammo and 'clips'! Wink

Funny I was thinking I would get a comment when I looked at that pic Smile I was in beach mode. At least my toenails are trimmed haha.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I think, based on what you are saying, that you may be getting some bad advice.

If you live in Illinois, and your uncle lives in Florida, and you're getting the gun from him, then it's an interstate transfer and has to go through an FFL using a 4473.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I think, based on what you are saying, that you may be getting some bad advice.

If you live in Illinois, and your uncle lives in Florida, and you're getting the gun from him, then it's an interstate transfer and has to go through an FFL using a 4473.

I have a residence in both Florida and Illinois at this time. The Garand is in my residence in Florida. Obviously I would rather ship the proper way than risk breaking one of the many rules.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Ah. Interesting.

I have no idea how multiple residences interact with firearms laws.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would residency for firearm transfers really be determined by state drivers license?

Posts: 1748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
Would residency for firearm transfers really be determined by state drivers license?

No.

See https://www.atf.gov/questions-...other-state-purchase

and https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...utes-residency-state

Posts: 32434 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may legally ship a firearm to yourself.
You may even mail a rifle.

Getting a hysterical shipping clerk to accept it without a FFL is another problem.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
You may legally ship a firearm to yourself.
You may even mail a rifle.

Getting a hysterical shipping clerk to accept it without a FFL is another problem.

yep,

box securely,
label,
go to post office,
ship priority insured, with delivery confirmation,

when asked, shipping stuff to my house,
by the definition, nothing is perishable, hazardous, or lithium, and move on,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10411 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I believe you will need to have your uncle ship it to a dealer in Illinois that will take a long gun from a non-FFL (or get an FFL involved on each end), then you will pick it up from the Illinois dealer after doing a 4473 and 24hr wait. Otherwise it's an interstate transfer (resident of Florida to resident of Illinois) without FFL involved. I wouldn't tempt fate... especially since you posted the question on the internet!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don't know about any special Illinois state laws, but under federal law you can ship a gun to yourself. The problem in this case is that you cannot legally receive it from your uncle. Being a long gun, however, you can go through an FFL in Florida, and once it is legally transferred to you in Florida, then you can ship it to yourself in Illinois. Or your uncle can ship it to an FFL in Illinois.

Posts: 3426 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Enjoy, and welcome to the club! I don't know how close to the beach it was living, but mine benefited from getting detail stripped and getting white lithium grease massaged into the parkerizing about once or twice a year to help keep the rust away, but we were in Merritt Island. So I was constantly fighting the rust on everything. Grease! Grease is your friend with an M1. Get it, use it, and it will love you for it.

Oh, and half your clips are loaded with the first round starting one side and half on the other. Some rifles like to feed better with the top round starting on one side or the other better. Some don't. Some M1's, like my '43 Winchester, will load the top round without an oprod tap when it's on the left, but require the tap when it's on the right. The 50's IHC my college girlfriend used to borrow from the club for High Power matches used to close on almost every clip, whichever round was on top. My '44 Springfield needs a tap whichever side is on top, but seems to load smoother from the left, so it's how I do it. Anyway, just something to observe. It's one of the neat little eccentricities of the Garand.

Posts: 17062 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Id make sure it was transferred to you in Florida and then ship it to yourself or if you drive put it in your trunk, unloaded separate from ammunition. If you are going to ship I've had better luck at HUBS for UPS and FEDEX then say a UPS store.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments. It appears to be as clear as mud Smile

Leaning towards driving home with it at this point as I am in no rush. Wish the rules were more clear Smile