SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SKS Lubrication Guidlines.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SKS Lubrication Guidlines..... Login/Join 
posted
You guys with SKS experience, tell me how you lube your SKS. What places on the gun need lube, what places don't and how much do you use? Recommendations on different types are lubes would be appreciated too. Ballistol has been my go to lube for awhile and I'm open to suggestions. Thanks very much in advance.

Any sane person should be instinctively skeptical when all the smart people agree. Mark Steyn

Posts: 165 | Location: WNC | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wipe mine down metal with CLP while cleaning. After wiping away all the excess I used cleaning I apply a bit more to the bolt.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Don't oil the gas piston.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I just wipe down all metal surfaces with Breakfree CLP, Ballistol, Militech-1, Automatic Transmission Fluid, Motor Oil...you can't really go wrong.

A little grease on wear surfaces doesn't hurt.

Oil the gas piston.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Which is it for the gas piston?

SgtGold says DON'T oil the gas piston
Jager says oil the gas piston

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason I put this post up is because I took the gun to the range and ran a couple of boxes of ammo through without a hiccup. I took it home and gave it a good clean up and part of that clean up involved oiling the gas piston. Next time out, the gun wouldn't cycle and I was using the exact same ammo I used first time out. Then I read something about not oiling the gas piston, so I'm thinking that may be the problem........

Any sane person should be instinctively skeptical when all the smart people agree. Mark Steyn

Posts: 165 | Location: WNC | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, you definitely shouldn't not oil the gas piston, each and never time.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Never put oil on your AR-15 gas rings, either. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't oil the gas piston.

I put grease on the first four inches of it, piston and all. I do the same with my Garands. When cleaning time comes, all carbon easily wipes off with the grease. If this is detrimental, I'd love to hear an explanation why.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
your SKS does not give a damn how you oil her.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
your SKS does not give a damn how you oil her.

This.

Dunk it in a 55 gallon of oil! Let it drain in the corner for ten and it should be GTG.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post