SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a Virtus...Something I said I'd never do.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Virtus...Something I said I'd never do. Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
Since the Sig 556 was discontinued, I've avoided all Sig rifles. Their reputation for changing a rifle and dropping support for the old one is just too obvious to ignore.

I've always like the MCX rifle for the slim folding stock. For reasons that I can't explain, I picked up a Virtus yesterday.

As much as I can't stand Sig's BS marketing group, I have been impressed with their engineers. They continue to innovate and I must tip my hat them. That they don't keep products around and their production lines keep screwing up is a sad but separate issue.

I shot the rifle last night and while cleaning really gained an appreciation for the design. It shoots great and seems like a really quality design to me.

I popped the barrel off for cleaning and just to see how easy/difficult it was. It was a breeze. I've gotta say, I really, really like the design. I woke up this morning checking my inbox for a note from Sig announcing some new rifle, and I fully expect the Virtus to be dropped soon-ish, but I hope I'm wrong.

As for the Virtus vs a DI gun...look, this isn't rocket science, the DI AR is a great gun and I love them. There is no part of me that thinks I need a piston over DI. I don't feel the Virtus is better than AR. I just like different things.

I will say, having a slim stock that folds is a great addition as is the quick change barrel. I wish this gun came from a company I had more long term faith in, but I still really like it so far.

So I wanted to confess...I've done something I've said I'd never do on this board several times and bought a Sig rifle. If you want a great rifle and aren't concerned about how long support for it will be around, I'd say this is well worth a look.

I'm surprised how few reviews there are about this gun on the internet. Sure, tons of gun rag articles, but I don't read that shill crap anyways. Id guess there is not a lot on the boards about it because of Sig's history of dumping models. Too bad, I think they got this one right.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Buy some spare parts for it, while they are still around.

The Virtus is a very nice looking rifle, but I've resisted so far.

Enjoy you new rifle.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Since the Sig 556 was discontinued, I've avoided all Sig rifles. Their reputation for changing a rifle and dropping support for the old one is just too obvious to ignore.

I've always like the MCX rifle for the slim folding stock. For reasons that I can't explain, I picked up a Virtus yesterday.

As much as I can't stand Sig's BS marketing group, I have been impressed with their engineers. They continue to innovate and I must tip my hat them. That they don't keep products around and their production lines keep screwing up is a sad but separate issue.

I shot the rifle last night and while cleaning really gained an appreciation for the design. It shoots great and seems like a really quality design to me.

I popped the barrel off for cleaning and just to see how easy/difficult it was. It was a breeze. I've gotta say, I really, really like the design. I woke up this morning checking my inbox for a note from Sig announcing some new rifle, and I fully expect the Virtus to be dropped soon-ish, but I hope I'm wrong.

As for the Virtus vs a DI gun...look, this isn't rocket science, the DI AR is a great gun and I love them. There is no part of me that thinks I need a piston over DI. I don't feel the Virtus is better than AR. I just like different things.

I will say, having a slim stock that folds is a great addition as is the quick change barrel. I wish this gun came from a company I had more long term faith in, but I still really like it so far.

So I wanted to confess...I've done something I've said I'd never do on this board several times and bought a Sig rifle. If you want a great rifle and aren't concerned about how long support for it will be around, I'd say this is well worth a look.

I'm surprised how few reviews there are about this gun on the internet. Sure, tons of gun rag articles, but I don't read that shill crap anyways. Id guess there is not a lot on the boards about it because of Sig's history of dumping models. Too bad, I think they got this one right.

One of the flavors of Virtus - if it's still around - will be my foray into .300BLK.

If I like it I'll buy a spare and a stack of spare parts. I tend to invest in platforms that way.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
One of the flavors of Virtus - if it's still around - will be my foray into .300BLK.

I like mine:

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’m looking at the Rattler at the moment. I’m a big 300blk fan. I’m seeing Barnes supers getting 1,900 FPS on YouTube vids. That’s not bad out of a 5” barrel.

I’m kind of ashamed of myself for liking this platform. Big Grin

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Don’t sweat it. I had a SBR’d Virtus for awhile and liked it quite a bit. Never had any issues with it. I got very luke warm results when I posted a pic of mine here some time ago... folks are starting to like them more as time goes by. Hopefully they won’t drop an MCX 3.0 ! Enjoy it!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I’m looking at the Rattler at the moment. I’m a big 300blk fan. I’m seeing Barnes supers getting 1,900 FPS on YouTube vids. That’s not bad out of a 5” barrel.

I’m kind of ashamed of myself for liking this platform. Big Grin

I have a Rattler. It’s a great little package and easily packable. I throw mine in a sling bag but as others have said, I worry about the long term support.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good and seems like it’s getting great feedback. Been looking for one in stock so I my hands on it in person

Posts: 20 | Registered: October 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post