SIGforum
Bought a Virtus...Something I said I'd never do.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/7060034164

September 27, 2019, 12:46 PM
esdunbar
Bought a Virtus...Something I said I'd never do.
Since the Sig 556 was discontinued, I've avoided all Sig rifles. Their reputation for changing a rifle and dropping support for the old one is just too obvious to ignore.

I've always like the MCX rifle for the slim folding stock. For reasons that I can't explain, I picked up a Virtus yesterday.

As much as I can't stand Sig's BS marketing group, I have been impressed with their engineers. They continue to innovate and I must tip my hat them. That they don't keep products around and their production lines keep screwing up is a sad but separate issue.

I shot the rifle last night and while cleaning really gained an appreciation for the design. It shoots great and seems like a really quality design to me.

I popped the barrel off for cleaning and just to see how easy/difficult it was. It was a breeze. I've gotta say, I really, really like the design. I woke up this morning checking my inbox for a note from Sig announcing some new rifle, and I fully expect the Virtus to be dropped soon-ish, but I hope I'm wrong.

As for the Virtus vs a DI gun...look, this isn't rocket science, the DI AR is a great gun and I love them. There is no part of me that thinks I need a piston over DI. I don't feel the Virtus is better than AR. I just like different things.

I will say, having a slim stock that folds is a great addition as is the quick change barrel. I wish this gun came from a company I had more long term faith in, but I still really like it so far.

So I wanted to confess...I've done something I've said I'd never do on this board several times and bought a Sig rifle. If you want a great rifle and aren't concerned about how long support for it will be around, I'd say this is well worth a look.

I'm surprised how few reviews there are about this gun on the internet. Sure, tons of gun rag articles, but I don't read that shill crap anyways. Id guess there is not a lot on the boards about it because of Sig's history of dumping models. Too bad, I think they got this one right.
September 27, 2019, 02:17 PM
2Adefender
Buy some spare parts for it, while they are still around.

The Virtus is a very nice looking rifle, but I've resisted so far.

Enjoy you new rifle.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.
September 27, 2019, 02:51 PM
Rob Decker
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Since the Sig 556 was discontinued, I've avoided all Sig rifles. Their reputation for changing a rifle and dropping support for the old one is just too obvious to ignore.

I've always like the MCX rifle for the slim folding stock. For reasons that I can't explain, I picked up a Virtus yesterday.

As much as I can't stand Sig's BS marketing group, I have been impressed with their engineers. They continue to innovate and I must tip my hat them. That they don't keep products around and their production lines keep screwing up is a sad but separate issue.

I shot the rifle last night and while cleaning really gained an appreciation for the design. It shoots great and seems like a really quality design to me.

I popped the barrel off for cleaning and just to see how easy/difficult it was. It was a breeze. I've gotta say, I really, really like the design. I woke up this morning checking my inbox for a note from Sig announcing some new rifle, and I fully expect the Virtus to be dropped soon-ish, but I hope I'm wrong.

As for the Virtus vs a DI gun...look, this isn't rocket science, the DI AR is a great gun and I love them. There is no part of me that thinks I need a piston over DI. I don't feel the Virtus is better than AR. I just like different things.

I will say, having a slim stock that folds is a great addition as is the quick change barrel. I wish this gun came from a company I had more long term faith in, but I still really like it so far.

So I wanted to confess...I've done something I've said I'd never do on this board several times and bought a Sig rifle. If you want a great rifle and aren't concerned about how long support for it will be around, I'd say this is well worth a look.

I'm surprised how few reviews there are about this gun on the internet. Sure, tons of gun rag articles, but I don't read that shill crap anyways. Id guess there is not a lot on the boards about it because of Sig's history of dumping models. Too bad, I think they got this one right.

One of the flavors of Virtus - if it's still around - will be my foray into .300BLK.

If I like it I'll buy a spare and a stack of spare parts. I tend to invest in platforms that way.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.
September 27, 2019, 07:27 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
One of the flavors of Virtus - if it's still around - will be my foray into .300BLK.

I like mine:

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
September 29, 2019, 07:35 AM
esdunbar
I’m looking at the Rattler at the moment. I’m a big 300blk fan. I’m seeing Barnes supers getting 1,900 FPS on YouTube vids. That’s not bad out of a 5” barrel.

I’m kind of ashamed of myself for liking this platform. Big Grin
September 29, 2019, 09:56 PM
dry-fly
Don’t sweat it. I had a SBR’d Virtus for awhile and liked it quite a bit. Never had any issues with it. I got very luke warm results when I posted a pic of mine here some time ago... folks are starting to like them more as time goes by. Hopefully they won’t drop an MCX 3.0 ! Enjoy it!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
October 03, 2019, 12:22 PM
gibby29
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I’m looking at the Rattler at the moment. I’m a big 300blk fan. I’m seeing Barnes supers getting 1,900 FPS on YouTube vids. That’s not bad out of a 5” barrel.

I’m kind of ashamed of myself for liking this platform. Big Grin

I have a Rattler. It’s a great little package and easily packable. I throw mine in a sling bag but as others have said, I worry about the long term support.
October 03, 2019, 02:35 PM
Azmadmaxx
Looks good and seems like it’s getting great feedback. Been looking for one in stock so I my hands on it in person