SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    716 DMR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

716 DMR Login/Join 
Picture of ksss
posted
I wanted to pass this info on. I had been looking for real world accuracy reports from the 716. Sig came out and did a demo for us. Myself and a couple others snipers snatched up the 716. The trigger is bad for a precision rifle. However even with the shitty trigger it was a .75 MOA gun. No BS. We shot the Sig 168's and 175's. I shot the Sig Ammo through my SSG 3000 and the performance was identical to the Gmm 168's from an accuracy standpoint. I think with a better trigger it would be easier to shoot and tighten up the group. Overall very impressed with the rifle and the ammo. Impressed enough I am buying an DMR for myself. The scope of the rifle was a Whiskey 3 I believe, glass was not bad, not a fan of the reticle on the model we had a the demo. Compared to the ATACR with the MOAR-T on my SSG it was not in that league, but not bad.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Is Sig no longer using ht Geisselle on the DMR? Mine had one. Never an issue getting sub moa groups from it. Ive had 2 SSG 3000s and both could do .5 or better, sometimes much better if the stars aligned. For what I paid for them, I should have never sold them.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
No this was a standard mil spec trigger. It was pretty bad, but the fact it would shoot like it did anyway said a lot. We had a FN semi auto and it was a 1.5-2 MOA gun, sent it back 4 times. They finally just took and gave us a FN bolt gun which isn't that impressive either. It is no more accurate than the 716.

I would never let my SSG go, like you say .5 all day. I have some 5 shot groups that I cover with a dime. The rifle is amazing, especially for $1400. Dollar for dollar I don't think it there was a better buy in a bolt action rifle.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got a Gen 1, bought it when they first came out and the prices were still pretty low, I won it on GunBroker, after shipping & transfer was $1750 ... I shot it and the Geisselle trigger was horriable, it was something like 6 pounds ... I had an extra RRA 3.5 Varmint trigger that I'd bought on sale and it's still in it ... I've shot a few 5-round .5" groups with it but typically it averages closer to .7-.75" but it's the closest AR10 I've had that comes close to either of my SR25 Match rifles

I shoot Sierra 168 handloads which I developed with my first Stoner SR25 match because it was designed around the Federal 168 Gold Medal Match and when I was getting .5" to .7" groups consistently I quit tinkering with it. This same round shoots sub-MOA in my SiG SSG-3000 & Steyr SSG 69 P1 ...

I haven't shot it for a couple years but the DMR is the only AR10/308 I've still got because it's got a factory threaded barrel and I can use my suppressor ... It's funny, no one ever talks about what a great recoil reducer suppressors are! After 3 years my bone density is getting within a few points of being "normal" and with my suppressor I'll probably shoot it this summer

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ksss:
The rifle is amazing, especially for $1400. Dollar for dollar I don't think it there was a better buy in a bolt action rifle.

Agreed I think I paid 1200 and 1300 for the 2 I had. I actually replaced one of them with an FN SPR.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got a Gen 1, bought it when they first came out and the prices were still pretty low, I won it on GunBroker, after shipping & transfer was $1750 ... I shot it and the Geisselle trigger was horriable, it was something like 6 pounds ... I had an extra RRA 3.5 Varmint trigger that I'd bought on sale and it's still in it ...

I shoot Sierra 168 handloads which I developed with my Stoner SR25 match because it was designed around that bullet and when I was getting .5" to .7" groups consistently I quit tinkering with it and this same round shoots sub-MOA in my SiG SSG-3000 & Steyr SSG 69 P1 ...

I haven't shot it for a couple years but the DMR is the only AR10/308 I've still got because it's got a factory threaded barrel and I can use my suppressor ... It's funny, no one ever talks about what a great recoil reducer suppressors are! After 3 years of 2400 mg of calcium a day and daily shots, my bone density is getting within a few points of being "normal" and with my suppressor I'll probably shoot it this summer

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
It's funny, no one ever talks about what a great recoil reducer suppressors are!

Actually, it does get discussed. I've gone into a number of comparisons between the felt recoil of brakes versus cans, especially after I transitioned away from brakes a few years ago. Offgrid has mentioned it too, as he recently transitioned to suppressors.

The recoil pulses from brakes and cans are noticeable different, but the best models of both decrease recoil dramatically. This is one reason few steel/precision/tactical competitors shoot with bare muzzles.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post