SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scout rifle - which caliber?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Scout rifle - which caliber? Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
I think the 243 would be ideal. It bridges the gap between the 223 and 308. Its available for cheap anywhere that 308 would be sold but does have the recoil of 308 while still being able to put down anything in north America short of perhaps Moose or Grizzly. Its cheap, accurate and when there are ammo shortages and 308 disappears....243 is still there.


.243 is hard on barrels, though. I have been told good accuracy goes away in about 500 rounds, and the barrel is toast after about 2,500 rounds. A .260 would go at least 2,000 rounds before match grade accuracy is gone. However the 6.5 Creedmoor barrels last much longer.


My experience has been different and I suppose load/barrel selection would play a role in that. That being said, my primary hunting .243 has probably accumulated only 400 rounds fired over 10 years. Ive owned a few .243s with rounds counts much higher than that and all were acceptably accurate. Im sure there are guiys out there who can burn out a 6.5CM rather quickly if they wanted to. A barrel being toast is subjective as well. For someone who demands .2 groups im sure a barrel that shoots .5 is toast, where as a hunter would be happy to get that accuracy out of the box.

.260 is nowhere near as popular as .243 and not nearly as available by comparison. I also wouldnt expect match grade accuaracy out of Scout rifle.


________________________________
 
Posts: 7172 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Greetings all. Now that everyone is talking about lever rifles, I'm thinking of a scout rifle. I simply like the concept. What I'm looking is the Ruger Scout rifle . My dilemma is what caliber. Pros for the 223/5.56 include already have the caliber, easy recoil. Pros of the .308 include better caliber for larger game hunting. Both are suitable for hd which is the main purpose. I'm leaning to the 223/5.56, but want those with more experience to tell me what I'm missing Confused. Thanks.

Also, I do have a 223 suppressor, so, there's that.

Have you considered the new for 2018 Ruger American Rifle Ranch, Model 26965 Caliber 223/5.56?

It uses AR style mags and has a threaded barrel.

https://ruger.com/products/ame...pecSheets/26965.html
 
Posts: 1235 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about entering this thread with some comments as I have been a devotee of stubby rifles for a long time {6.5x55, 9.3x62, .30-30 & .44 Trappers} but when I read that the OP owns AR and AK rifles but nevertheless wants a .223 or .308 Scout rifle for HD my head started to throb a little...


**********************
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

Read Quod Apostolici Muneris (1878) LEO XIII. This Pope warned us about the Socialists before most folks knew what a Socialist was...
 
Posts: 4972 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
I was thinking about entering this thread with some comments as I have been a devotee of stubby rifles for a long time {6.5x55, 9.3x62, .30-30 & .44 Trappers} but when I read that the OP owns AR and AK rifles but nevertheless wants a .223 or .308 Scout rifle for HD my head started to throb a little...


Where I do have multiple AR's and, now, only one AK, my chosen initial hd weapon is my CX9. My statement of "hd" may be misleading, as the more probable purpose would be to dispatch coyote or other small predators at my house. Hence, "hd."

Further, the use of a bolt gun would also lend itself more favorably to my wife and kids who are less inclined to grab a rifle, instead choosing a pistol which, as described, may not be the best weapon for the job.


==========================================
Just my 2¢
____________________________

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫
 
Posts: 6992 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
The Steyr Scout Rifle really has my interest as does the Elite. I think they'd be the ticket for hunting or some quick precision work (Elite). I wonder if they are worth 2x the cost of the Ruger?
I have a Steyr Stainless Hunter in 300 Win Mag and it does 1/2 MOA...which is more than enough for hunting. Just too bad there isn't great big game hunting in North Carolina to utilize it.


 
Posts: 1598 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have a Steyr and I like it, but you're paying for features you my not need/use. I've said if I were doing it over (if I didn't have anything at all and needed a general purpose bolt gun...) I might think about just buying a Pro Hunter or similar model and putting a low power scope on it.

I love the back end of the Scout stock. The shape, the extra mag.
The front end... I'll probably never use the bipod and I seriously doubt I'll even use the backup sights. So for a $600 saving I could live with a standard scope and no spare mag. Smile


_____________________________________________________
Sliced bread, the greatest thing since the 1911.

 
Posts: 16006 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I have a Steyr and I like it, but you're paying for features you my not need/use. I've said if I were doing it over (if I didn't have anything at all and needed a general purpose bolt gun...) I might think about just buying a Pro Hunter or similar model and putting a low power scope on it.

I love the back end of the Scout stock. The shape, the extra mag.
The front end... I'll probably never use the bipod and I seriously doubt I'll even use the backup sights. So for a $600 saving I could live with a standard scope and no spare mag. Smile


I don't use the bipod much other than it being a convenient way to set the rifle down without laying the whole rifle in wet or mud but I really like the spare mag in the stock. I also love the storage compartment for tools and a cleaning kit and the three point sling harness for a ching sling. Like you said the $600 premium might be a bit much for just a pure hunting rifle but I find the Steyr Scout worth the extra for the sum of all it's neat bits. I have low powered variables on all mine..........dj


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 3667 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
I was thinking about entering this thread with some comments as I have been a devotee of stubby rifles for a long time {6.5x55, 9.3x62, .30-30 & .44 Trappers} but when I read that the OP owns AR and AK rifles but nevertheless wants a .223 or .308 Scout rifle for HD my head started to throb a little...


Where I do have multiple AR's and, now, only one AK, my chosen initial hd weapon is my CX9. My statement of "hd" may be misleading, as the more probable purpose would be to dispatch coyote or other small predators at my house. Hence, "hd."

Further, the use of a bolt gun would also lend itself more favorably to my wife and kids who are less inclined to grab a rifle, instead choosing a pistol which, as described, may not be the best weapon for the job.


Got it!!

Here on the ranch I have four long guns easy access; 2 RDS AR's, a shotgun with 2 bbls and a 4-12-scoped Ruger Predator .223. The bolt gun is for just what you mentioned; stock chasing dogs and whatnot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 3/4Flap,


**********************
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

Read Quod Apostolici Muneris (1878) LEO XIII. This Pope warned us about the Socialists before most folks knew what a Socialist was...
 
Posts: 4972 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit shocked you don't have something in a heavier caliber on hand.
 
Posts: 8176 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I'm a bit shocked you don't have something in a heavier caliber on hand.


There's always the 376 Steyr Scout........


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 3667 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I'm a bit shocked you don't have something in a heavier caliber on hand.


How come?


**********************
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

Read Quod Apostolici Muneris (1878) LEO XIII. This Pope warned us about the Socialists before most folks knew what a Socialist was...
 
Posts: 4972 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Is .223 enough for all your animal threats? A friend put down a strangely aggressive black bear that wouldn't be chased off, made me question is .223 is enough round for everything.
 
Posts: 8176 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Is .223 enough for all your animal threats? A friend put down a strangely aggressive black bear that wouldn't be chased off, made me question is .223 is enough round for everything.


Gotcha.

No.

Not concerned about bear in our open valley around the house. Coyotes, dogs, raccoons from the river, wolves are the only animal threats of concern. And other rifles are at hand of course.


**********************
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

Read Quod Apostolici Muneris (1878) LEO XIII. This Pope warned us about the Socialists before most folks knew what a Socialist was...
 
Posts: 4972 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thinking of scout rifles like the Steyr Scout or the Ruger GSR I think the .308 Win. is the most versatile, "do it all", caliber; ammo available everywhere; and because of their modern stocks the recoil is really manageable.
 
Posts: 705 | Location: South Germany | Registered: February 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I just saw today that Steyr is chambering their Scout in 6.5 Creedmoor......

......May be time for my 4th! LOL

Already have the Ruger in 6.5 Creed. It was ringing 8" steel plates at 600yds with reticle holdovers. The Steyr would just be even nicer......


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 3667 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
...but how else does one get Cooper cred but own a scout rifle Big Grin

Own a AR and get "Stoner cred".

Take said AR to Gunsite Academy for a week or two and get "Cooper cred".

Then train, practice, compete. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Real "cred".


Yep. I know guys who have a dozen+ rifles, and can't shoot for shit.
 
Posts: 3390 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scout rifle - which caliber?

© SIGforum 2018