SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ares/Fightlite rifle opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ares/Fightlite rifle opinions Login/Join 
posted
Do you Forum members behind enemy lines have Ares/Fightlight rifles, second generation? If so, please share your opinions/reviews. Based on googling, sounds like a good option for us in MA/CA/NY. Are they reliable/accurate? i think I can get one for around $850 and it is going to be my only semi-auto rifle. I have had AR-15's in the past, but moving behind the iron curtain stripped me of this option.
Thanks

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Never seen one but I like the traditional stock. I wouldn’t mind that part of it at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the monte carlo stock last year and built my own upper. I am very happy with it. The added weight of the stock makes it pleasing to shoot. Only minor complaint is that it is a little long for the mag release but there is a fix that I have not looked into.

Posts: 710 | Registered: November 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I always thought it would be fun to use their stock to build a 458 bush gun. Something that would look more like a traditional rifle. But take box fed mag.

I don't have a single need for one. But want one any way. LOL

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coming out of lurk mode for a moment. I have a SCR, back when it was Ares but second gen trigger. The trigger is fine for a duty/HD gun but you may not be satisfied if you're a trigger snob (I'm not). It's not a standard AR trigger, so you're generally stuck with it.

I picked up the lower and built my own upper. Sacrilege, I know, but I prefer it to a standard AR configuration. It shoots just like any old standard stocked rifle with most controls being those of the AR.

The safety is essentially an 1100 style. As mentioned, the magazine release is a stretch (can be solved with an ambi but I haven't bothered). Putting the upper on the lower can be a bit fiddly with the proprietary bolt carrier rat tail, but gets easier after a few attempts. It would be a wonderful platform for a side charger but you'd need to find someone to mill the bolt carrier.

You'll want either low irons or a rail mounted red dot/scope with no riser. Standard AR optics are too high unless you like a chin weld.

It's spendy, but the best solution I've tried for a restricted state. (I like my FRS15 stocks as well, just prefer the traditional stock of the SCR).

Posts: 89 | Registered: November 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you ritter. Would buying a full SCR rifle and swapping barrel for a better one improve accuracy? I do not want to change the factory upper much. I think the trigger could be smoothed out by a gunsmith.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hessy2000:
Thank you ritter. Would buying a full SCR rifle and swapping barrel for a better one improve accuracy? I do not want to change the factory upper much. I think the trigger could be smoothed out by a gunsmith.

Rereading my post, it may have come off as me being dissatisfied with the trigger. It's fine for my purposes and skill level--someone looking for a long range or glassy trigger might be disappointed without the gun smith work.

I'm sure changing the barrel could increase accuracy but the stock barrel is likely fine for all but the most demanding shooters (mine had an 18" Odin on it but that has been swapped for a mostly stock M&P15 upper). The SCR is now the go to home defense rifle since the SCR stock is completely and unambiguously not a grip. The shit we go through for compliance in some states...

I heartily recommend it.

Posts: 89 | Registered: November 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I do not own one, though I have handled many.

They are nice rifles, I don't particularly like the light barrel profile, I'd use a different upper.

Issue is, the lowers have been selling for 3/4 the price of a complete rifle in my area.

The only thing holding me back from a purchase.

I would swap the stock furniture out for wood, it' d be awful nice IMO.

This may be my next project... however, the Howa barrelled actions on sale at Brownells may distract me.

All the best
Billy

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2nd generation lower. It's a good rifle in it's own right and will be as accurate as any comparable AR. The trigger is actually quite good, although AFAIK there are no aftermarket triggers available. The only real drawback is stock AR iron sights as too tall for a good cheek weld, even with the Monte Carlo stock. A cheek riser is a necessity and any truly low profile sights will have severely limited elevation adjustments. Recoil feels like a Mini-14.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Bought a SCR lower. Pricey for $525 shipped, but I think it will make me a good project. Darn these MA laws.