SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Pistol brace question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol brace question Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I'm looking to build my first AR pistol. I've only handled the SB brace.

Which one works best, not flimsy, looks best and has the longest length of pull?

I like the look of the KAK shock wave but it looks really short.

PSA has the SB SOB and KAK shockwave on sale. Which of those two are better?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The KAK Blade has dimples in the buffer tube for a set screw adjustment the allow it to be short as well as long and anywhere in between...it is my favorite brace.

As to extending the brace outward...KAK added this small caveat to adjustment length...going past 13.5" LOP...I would imagine this is the ATF's stand no matter the brace manufacturer...

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3524

By “permanent affixing,” ATF considers that to be adding permanent Loctite to the large set screw that secures the Blade into the dimples in the KAK tube. As long as you don’t red Loctite the set screw in place, ATF considers it to be “temporarily placed” and “perfectly okay to shoulder.” (He didn’t beat around the bush on this topic.)
“Length of pull”—for lack of a better word regarding pistol braces—begins to enter a “gray area” above 13.5″. Above 13.5″ begins “to enter shoulder stock area.” (His words. I believe this has to do with the “comfortableness” aspect.) On an AR-15, the “length of pull” for the Blade is approximately 13.13″, so no issues there. But if you use the Blade on a firearm that requires a large adapter of some sort, please make sure that you only use the dimples up to the point that you remain below the 13.5″ length. Stay below 13.5″ and according to ATF, it’s okay to shoulder a Shockwave Blade.

If you decide on the KAK brace, Grumpy Biker posted a link in another thread for the brace and buffer tube at a good price...under $60...

http://npfreedom.com/shockwave...k-buffer-tube-combo/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have the Sig brace, the Shockwave, and the SB Tactical SOB. Of the three, I like the SB the most; it is sufficiently soft for comfort when "pistol shouldering", and rigid enough that it does not have the mushy feel of the Sig.

Also, the Sig wants to migrate easily (Odin adaptor helps a great deal in controlling), and the SB is rock solid. Finally, the SB has the most sensible size for aesthetic reasons.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'll be doing a little research.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post