SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recent production Sako rifles: anyone with one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent production Sako rifles: anyone with one? Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
A Sako 85, preferably a Black Bear in .30-06, is on my list of all time wants and I may be able to pull it off here shortly. Naturally, at just the time I'm able to start thinking about pulling the trigger on a Sako, I'm reading about QC problems cropping up on lately produced rifles. Principally straight-up ejection that is hitting the scope and jamming the action. And not-so-level dovetails for scope bases that can cause a scope to use up all its elevation adjustment.

I'd hate to spend what a Sako costs and get a rifle that isn't up to the price I paid for it.

Does anyone have a Sako 85? Any issues with it?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a Sako 85, but I just purchased a new TRG from Eurooptic

So far I have about 80 rounds through it. Haven't noticed any QC issues and the rifle is a tack driver. After doing the cleaning thing, siting in and shooting some steel at 200 yards I fired 8 five shot groups at 100 yards. These are true five shot groups. No excluding shots because a bee flew up my shorts or my shoe laces came untied. My WORST 5 shot group was just under 1 MOA. Best 5 shot group .3 MOA. Others ranged between .4 and .8. I honestly feel this rifle will expose any flaws in my shooting since anything over .5 MOA is probably because I did something wrong.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply.

It doesn't appear the ejection issues seen in the 85 are possible on the TRG due to the different receivers. It looks like the problems I'm seeing is specific to the 85. Straight up ejection, or very high angle ejection, where the case is striking the scope adjustment housing or adjustment knob covers. To make matters worse, users are reporting that Sako is pretty much unresponsive to the problems with the 85.

There are other premium rifles out there. Mauser still makes phenomenal rifles. But Sako has always been on my bucket list.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Thanks for the reply.

It doesn't appear the ejection issues seen in the 85 are possible on the TRG due to the different receivers. It looks like the problems I'm seeing is specific to the 85. Straight up ejection, or very high angle ejection, where the case is striking the scope adjustment housing or adjustment knob covers. To make matters worse, users are reporting that Sako is pretty much unresponsive to the problems with the 85.

There are other premium rifles out there. Mauser still makes phenomenal rifles. But Sako has always been on my bucket list.

This is most disheartening. I don't currently own any Sako rifles, but I had planned to get one or more one day.

I hope they resolve their issues ASAP!

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 75 Synthetic Stainless in .308. Great rifle, fine trigger, accurate. Detachable magazine - which will cost you $99.00 to replace or supplement.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 85 Arctos in 30-06. It has been around the world and never skipped a beat. When I play that horrible "keep just one" game. This rifle is the winner.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 85 Gray Wolf in 300WM. It has a fixed blade ejector situated at 6 o'clock. Unlike a Rem 700 which has a spring loaded plunger in the bolt face, the 85 is totally dependent on the operator getting the bolt fully retracted with some authority. If you open it slowly, the empty will fall straight down on top of the magazine. With a good firm bolt stroke, it will sling them across the room. I wouldn't say it is a QC problem, just a design element you need to be aware of.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I had a Sako 85 Finnlight in 300WM a couple years ago. It's a controlled round feed action that as MNSIG described does not have a spring loaded ejector. It would occasionally drop the case back on top of the mag if I operated the bolt too slowly. Otherwise it worked as expected and was a great rifle. Not a single quality issue with any of the other Sako and Tikka rifles that I still have.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
A Sako 85, preferably a Black Bear in .30-06, is on my list of all time wants and I may be able to pull it off here shortly. Naturally, at just the time I'm able to start thinking about pulling the trigger on a Sako, I'm reading about QC problems cropping up on lately produced rifles. Principally straight-up ejection that is hitting the scope and jamming the action. And not-so-level dovetails for scope bases that can cause a scope to use up all its elevation adjustment.

I'd hate to spend what a Sako costs and get a rifle that isn't up to the price I paid for it.

Does anyone have a Sako 85? Any issues with it?

Go five threads down the section page to see a review of a SAKO rifle...

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako A7 300wsm that is a tack driver
It has had a little work done, but even stock they shoot great

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2916 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

Go five threads down the section page to see a review of a SAKO rifle...

I'm interested specifically in the M85 action with the open top, not their other action types with the more enclosed receivers.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I have an 85 Gray Wolf in 300WM. It has a fixed blade ejector situated at 6 o'clock. Unlike a Rem 700 which has a spring loaded plunger in the bolt face, the 85 is totally dependent on the operator getting the bolt fully retracted with some authority. If you open it slowly, the empty will fall straight down on top of the magazine. With a good firm bolt stroke, it will sling them across the room. I wouldn't say it is a QC problem, just a design element you need to be aware of.

And that is sort of what I am seeing in demonstration videos. People are opening the actions slowly to show that the spent case is popping straight up. But that's not typical cycling. One can make just about any manually operated rifle malfunction cycling it too slowly. I want to know what happens when you cycle it as you would in the field. Thanks for the comment.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I've heard of the issue you describe, if I recall it reay only affected 1 of the 5 action sizes on the 85. Ive had 7 85 rifles

4 Finnlights-300wm,300wsm,243 and 6.5x55. 2 varmin models in 308 and 204......never experienced the ejection issue with any of them.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Finnlight in .25-06, and I have never had an ejection issue of any kind. It's a smooth action and a great rifle.

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
IIRC what I've read, ring height and knob/turret size play a role in how bad the issue is (kind of obvious).

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
IIRC what I've read, ring height and knob/turret size play a role in how bad the issue is (kind of obvious).

What I've seen as well.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post