SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Why do scar 17 prices seem to be dropping?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do scar 17 prices seem to be dropping? Login/Join 
posted
Just started looking again today and some black 17 are listed at 2850.00 and 2900.00 from reputable dealers. I thought the cost was right around 3,000.00 now do to the price hike. Did I miss something?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gambit123,

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Supply and demand. There were none for several months, I guess some came in? IDK.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
That’s a lot of Moolah for a service type 308. How much are the 16s now?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven’t looked at the 16. But I believe the msrp is 3000.00 or so while the 17 is 3500.00

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well you didn't buy one so the supply went up and demand went down, which all economic theories will say will result in lower prices. Till you do buy one and then supply will go down and prices will go up. See...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Because all the military contracts are going to HK and now po' ol' outbid FNH has all this time on their hands and ample production capacity for us SCAR-starved 'Mericans...

Or somthun' like dat.

This seems to be the typical cycle for the SCARs. FNH gets busy with the contract work, the rifles disappear from our civilian market. They get caught up or there's a lull in new contract awards, and they start up on satisfying the orders from the American commercial side until the next round of agency and military contracts are won. But once the guns start showing up in quantity, prices are bound to drop as dealers can't afford to have $3000ish guns just loitering around, collecting nothing but dust.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lemme know when I can get one for a thousand bucks

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Lemme know when I can get one for a thousand bucks

Good luck, more for us.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
The black ones sit around, at least around here. The FDE ones go very quickly. A friend at RSR says the FDEs are going to be dry for a while.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Well they apparently are releasing the SCAR Mk20S...for $5499! Maybe production temporarily shifted to these high mark up rifles.

https://fnamerica.com/wp-conte..._with_order_form.pdf

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
Well they apparently are releasing the SCAR Mk20S...for $5499! Maybe production temporarily shifted to these high mark up rifles.

For me that would be pointless. The basic scar fits a roll for me cause of the weight.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
quote:

For me that would be pointless. The basic scar fits a roll for me cause of the weight.

Indeed. If I want a 20" barrel in a SCAR, I probably want a different gun. But that's just me.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is FN finally making good on bringing the 20 to market - they said they were going to do it years ago, so I think it will satisfy the couple hundred fanboys who will pay the premium for one.

I’d more than likely get another rifle as well, but you never know.

posted Hide Post
The best aspect of the scar 17 is the combination of light weight, reliability, and very good accuracy out of a thin profile barrel. I am sure the 20s is an awesome piece of kit. But at more than 11 lbs, it negates the light weight that makes the scar stand out. Also, at 5400, you are more than 1k over what it would cost for a KAC SR25 APC. I would rather have an SR25 APC for that kind of cheddar.

Posts: 706 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed on the SR-25 assessment or any of the other precision ARs (GAP, etc). But I think the real reason they released these MK20 SSRs is for FN SCAR enthusiasts.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why are scar 17 prices seem to be dropping?

Can we use some basic grammar please?

"Why are scar 17 prices dropping?"

Or

"Why do scar 17 prices seem to be dropping?"

Please TRY to keep it close to English.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:

WOO-FREAKING-HOO!!! Mutiny, you really made my day with that link! Big Grin

I have put off a number of purchases in the hopes this would some day come to fruition! Needless to say, I am VERY excited to get one!!

Its too bad I just found out about this offer yesterday or I would have made arrangements earlier. Therein lies the rub. I'm not fond of the idea of emailing my CC info. So, I sent an email to FNH to see if they would take my CC info. over the phone. I'd feel a lot better about that. We'll see how it goes. I may get a call from FN, maybe not.

Anyway, My name is Belgian Blue, and I am a SCARaholic. Yes, it's spendy. But I look at it a little different than the other SCAR Limited Edition packages years ago. They were essentially a civilian version of a next generation service/combat rifle, whereas I consider the 20S more akin to HK's PSG-1. (which retailed for $10K back in the day) In that respect, I sort of want the extra goodies that come along with it. Personally, I think they included a pretty decent set of accessories to offer with it. I wonder if the tool kit it comes with will include the torque wrench in the SCAR tool kit that costs over $300? That would be nice to have included in the package as well.

Anyway, if I miss out on this deal, I'm hopeful that FN will make these a part of their regular product line. I really hope they offer a 6.5 Creedmore option as well. If this pans out and they don't give me any flack over not wanting to email my CC info, it will make my 5th SCAR, which would be the highlight of my SCAR collection. I'm really excited to see these on the market and I wholeheartedly thank FNH for offering these to the civilian market.

Edited to add: another WOO-FREAKING-HOO!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:

Belgian Blue-
Glad I could help feed your addiction... good luck with FNH, keep us updated.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:

I have put off a number of purchases in the hopes this would some day come to fruition! Needless to say, I am VERY excited to get one!!

Its too bad I just found out about this offer yesterday or I would have made arrangements earlier. Therein lies the rub. I'm not fond of the idea of emailing my CC info. So, I sent an email to FNH to see if they would take my CC info. over the phone. I'd feel a lot better about that. We'll see how it goes. I may get a call from FN, maybe not.

Anyway, My name is Belgian Blue, and I am a SCARaholic. Yes, it's spendy. But I look at it a little different than the other SCAR Limited Edition packages years ago. They were essentially a civilian version of a next generation service/combat rifle, whereas I consider the 20S more akin to HK's PSG-1. (which retailed for $10K back in the day) In that respect, I sort of want the extra goodies that come along with it. Personally, I think they included a pretty decent set of accessories to offer with it. I wonder if the tool kit it comes with will include the torque wrench in the SCAR tool kit that costs over $300? That would be nice to have included in the package as well.

Anyway, if I miss out on this deal, I'm hopeful that FN will make these a part of their regular product line. I really hope they offer a 6.5 Creedmore option as well. If this pans out and they don't give me any flack over not wanting to email my CC info, it will make my 5th SCAR, which would be the highlight of my SCAR collection. I'm really excited to see these on the market and I wholeheartedly thank FNH for offering these to the civilian market.

Edited to add: another WOO-FREAKING-HOO!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Assuming that this they're going with the same trend as they did with the M249S, the standard edition without all the doodad will be available shortly after, which will be cheaper. That'll what I'd personally get since the special case and all that stuff plus the high price doesn't really do anything for me.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post