SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    slug barrel questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

slug barrel questions Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scooter and everyone else. Shotguns 101 is just what I needed. Some of my questions were so basic I could not even find answers online but I knew I would get them here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kho,

Posts: 549 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
If you have to shoot, make sure you kill it.

A wounded bear is either a danger to you or will die slowly... or both. Shot is not going to penetrate a bear enough to reliably stop it.

A standard 1oz 12g rifled slug will do fine.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:

A wounded bear is either a danger to you or will die slowly... or both. Shot is not going to penetrate a bear enough to reliably stop it.

Normally I would agree with you 100%. Unfortunately these are not normal times the only place you will find available 12 gauge Slug loads is in your closet. So, if the OP had the foresight to stash some slug loads that is the best option. However if all he can find are bird loads then that is the only option.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me be clear. The only time I would shoot a bear or any other living thing is if it presented a clear and immediate threat. At a distance I would just appreciate one of God's creations. And about the only (highly unlikely) scenario I envision that happening where I could have time to access the shotgun from my safe (which would already have slugs in the tube but not chamber because that is how I choose to store guns in the safe) is if it got in the house and couldn't be scared back out from a distance. That would give me four rounds at uncomfortably close range. I think even I could manage that. But then highly unlikely scenarios are pretty much what all us non LEOs try to plan and prepare for.

Posts: 549 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
After starting this post I did some further internet research and I am now more confused than ever. Some say a non rifled slug is fine to shoot through a smooth bore barrel but it should be a with a modified or improved choke. Whatever that is. I also read that a rifled slug should not be fired through a rifled barrel because the competing riflings will degrade accuracy. And that a regular slug should not be shot in a rifled barrel because it will foul the rifling grooves, And only a sabot slug should be used with a rifled barrel.

I don't even know what choke came with my gun, I bought it more than 40 yers ago when I was invited to go duck hunting in North Florida. Took it out of the box, loaded it and shot it.

Jeez I thought this was going to be simple, get a rifled barrel, get slugs, done. Not so much.

And before it gets suggested I already have bear spray. I just want this as another option.

Just tell me what to do. In words of one syllable or less.

Don't make a science project out of it. Buy some of these and be done with it. You will not damage your gun, your gun will fire them, and the sun will still come up tomorrow.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:

Normally I would agree with you 100%. Unfortunately these are not normal times the only place you will find available 12 gauge Slug loads is in your closet. So, if the OP had the foresight to stash some slug loads that is the best option. However if all he can find are bird loads then that is the only option.

A 357 out of a carbine barrel is better than 12g bird loads... and shotgun slug ammo is still widely available from online sources.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the guns avaliable are fine in this situation .
On the 1100, match any slug,or even buckshot to the chamber length, dont worry
about the barrel length or full choke. The slugs work fine with full choke.
As for the 223, Barns X bullets have a Thor's hammer kill effect wild pigs and big Mule deer . I am sure they would be fine on black bear. I would have no problem with a 357 rifle either, common sence doctates a heavy bullet, not a 110 grain JHP screaming at 2200 fps out of a rifle. At my friends cabin we just bang pans and yell obscenities

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so, for a .20 gauge slug gun,
what would you recommend ?
to put five 2 3/4 inch slugs
0n an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper
at 150 feet .

type of barrel: __________
type of slug: ___________. Or would a guy be better off just getting a lever 45-70 ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post