SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger 77/44 w/ Threaded Barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77/44 w/ Threaded Barrel Login/Join 
Picture of Browndrake
posted
My LGS had one of these and I scooped it up and put it on layaway.

In doing some research, it seems like these big thumper carbines are a great match for a suppressor.

My question is, what kind of luck have you guys had with these in the past? I keep reading about accuracy issues. It seems pretty hit and miss with the prior run of these (minus threaded barrels of course). I don't expect 1 MOA, but I would expect 2 to 2.5 MOA at 100yards at least.

I already have a Ruger 44 Carbine made in 1976. It did a dandy job on a little buck at about 80 yards a week ago. It would be nice to have something similar for my step son here in Southern MI.

Thoughts and experiences?

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a guess: If you are using the OEM iron sights, that may be the cause of accuracy problems. They are quite possibly the same ones used on the 10-22, and although serviceable, are not made for real accuracy.
I would go red dot or low power scope.
My Henry .44M lever gun with Skinner Sights will hold about 1.5 MOA all day long at 100 yards. If I do my part, of course!
The Ruger should do that or better.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I'm under the impression that most of the reported accuracy issues were from scoped guns. I do think that the sights could very well be the same as what come on the 10/22. If and when I get the one that I have on layaway I plan on putting a Trijicon 1-6 power Accupoint on it.

It would seem to me that some of these accuracy issues might be more related to the barrel not being free floated. One person thought that the wildly varying accuracy reports over the years could be due to where, and how tight people were gripping the forearm of the stock.

Others thought I was due to a heavy / gritty trigger pull,

These guns are not cheap (upper $900 range) and the sporadic accuracy claims on the past generations of these rifles is giving me some hesitation.

A light, quick handling carbine in .44, coupled with a suppressor, is awfully tempting though.

I was just hoping that some folks here might have some real world experience that could help me decide whether or not to spend the money. My other option is a Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308. I cannot afford both right now unfortunately.....I'm leaning towards the 44 carbine.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post