SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Preferred AR grip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred AR grip Login/Join 
Picture of MrToad
posted
I suppose it largely comes down to personal preference, but I'm curious what our illustrious rifle brain trust prefers with regard to a rifle grip in terms of equipment/style. Broomstick-style verical grip? C-Clamp grip? Holding foregrip with thumb at 11 o'clock position?

Just curious.

Quick second question: Have any of you tried something like the chevron sight replacement on your forward sight like this one from Blitzkrieg Components?

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:
I suppose it largely comes down to personal preference, but I'm curious what our illustrious rifle brain trust prefers with regard to a rifle grip in terms of equipment/style. Broomstick-style verical grip? C-Clamp grip? Holding foregrip with thumb at 11 o'clock position?

Just curious.

Quick second question: Have any of you tried something like the chevron sight replacement on your forward sight like this one from Blitzkrieg Components?

I have tried a bunch of different front sight posts as I used to shoot limited division in 3-gun before they allowed red dots.

The Sightlink fiber optic front sight was the best that I found. A white front sight isn't great if you are shooting at a white target. And if you are shooting at small targets you don't want a huge blob of a front sight. You want a skinny black post, either alone or with a fiber optic dot on top.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I like the so-called "thumb break" grip. Uses a vertical grip as sort of a hand stop for the lower part of the hand, and the rest of the hand is wrapped around the handguard, with the thumb resting at 11 or 12 on top.

Best of all worlds. Thumb on top helps control muzzle climb. C-clampish grip allows for better horizontal control when transitioning targets. And rearward pressure on the foregrip helps further minimize recoil and keep the rifle butt firmly seated in the pocket.

Similar to this:

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think the answer is more than personal preference, it's determined by what I'm shooting at, from where and how.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I like the so-called "thumb break" grip. Uses a vertical grip as sort of a hand stop for the lower part of the hand, and the rest of the hand is wrapped around the handguard, with the thumb resting at 11 or 12 on top.

Best of all worlds. Thumb on top helps control muzzle climb. C-clampish grip allows for better horizontal control when transitioning targets. And rearward pressure on the foregrip helps further minimize recoil and keep the rifle butt firmly seated in the pocket.

This is exactly what I do also. Great description.

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I don't personally care for forward grips. They get in my way if I am shooting off of a flat surface. Roof of a car, hood of a car, etc.

I generally just hold the handguard, thumb over the top, left index finger pointing at the target.

I don't do the exaggerated, super straight arm thing.

I can't think of a lot of people who know more about shooting a rifle than this guy:

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I like to look at what the best do, try to understand why, and try to emulate that within reason. Same rationale on gripping a handgun properly.

posted Hide Post
+1 to IndianaBoy's post.

That's pretty much how I shoot.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is what I do as well. I use a BCM stubby vertical grip. Works great and is comfortable even with my fucked up hand/wrist.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1 I shoot the same way with rifles and SBRs but without the forward grip I shoot like IndianaBoy's post below.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
This is what I do as well. I use a BCM stubby vertical grip.

Same here.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
quote:

This is exactly what I do also. Great description.

Same here....I have gone as far as just using the small hand stops....especially on hunting ARs and SBRs

For the actual grip...plain ol'MagPul or their K2

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Similar to this:
Pretty much this as well.

I like BCM VFG and pistol grips, very comfortable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for all the great insight here, gentlemen. This will give me plenty to mull over and an excuse to maybe do some research shopping. Wink

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
For firing hand I prefer the BCM. As far as support had I use what was the Lanco Tactical Gripstop. B5 Systems bought the design and are now still producing them as the Gripstop. It’s a radiused hand stop and allows for a comfortable grip with a high thumb hold. Also works great on barriers.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
quote:

This is what I do as well. I use a BCM stubby vertical grip. Works great and is comfortable even with my fucked up hand/wrist.

I do as well, but I prefer a slanted forward grip like the Fortis. I have the full size Fortis on my DDM4V7 16" and the smaller Fortis hand stop on my 9" BCM .300 Black.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:

RogueJSK: What rail and light are you running on this one?

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the rail, but the light is an Inforce. I have the Gen. 2 and it throws a wide beam, 400 lumens.

Some consider them fragile, but I've had no issues with mine; I'm not super rough on gear.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:
RogueJSK: What rail and light are you running on this one?

That's a Troy Delta VTAC rail. It's a drop-in free float replacement for standard carbines with delta ring and fixed front sight base.

The light is a HSP edition Inforce WML light on a Impact Weapons Components Thorntail 1913 offset mount.

Inforce also has the WMLx, which is larger and brighter, as seen on the pic of my Thin Blue Line AR.

They're a great option for long gun lights. And Inforce just came out with Gen 2 versions of their WML and WMLx lights, which have some tweaks and improvements, and are supposed to be even better.