SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How/where is your AR-15 2pt sling mounted?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How/where is your AR-15 2pt sling mounted? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Adding a sling to my AR soon. Going with QD attachment on a MOE handguard & have a generic stock.

Probably ordering the MAG528 QD attachments for it.
Where do you guys have yours attached, F&R?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I like mine attached to the side of the rear of the buttstock, and on the side of the handguard about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up the handguard (or about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way up the entire rifle).

This allows the side of the rifle to lay flat against my torso when slung, and keeps the sling out of the way of my support hand, which is placed at the front of the handguard.

For example:

I use a similar setup on other rifles too, such as this AK. There's no sling shown, but you can see where the QD sling attachments are located on the handguard and rear of the buttstock:

(Ideally, the front sling attachment on this AK would be located a couple inches further forward, but it's not possible with this particular handguard without putting it so far forward that it interferes with my support hand.)

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've opted for a slightly different approach. I have the forward QD swivel mounted just forward of the receiver on the quad rail but the rear QD swivel on the opposite side of the buttstock. I'm finding I like it better than the more conventional same sided mounting others have posted here thus far.

As an aside I'm using a Bonnie-Packer Safari Sling I had on hand. Obviously NOT a tactical sling or the norm for a black rifle. But for now, it works fine for me. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mount mine like RogueJSK. At first I had them closer together, QD mount on the backplate and as far to the rear on the rail as possible. This doesn't hold the rifle very stable.

Sling mounted further out on either end holds it in a very stable position.

Edit: Like bald1, I also have the rear attached on the opposite side coming over the stock. Makes switching shoulders to shoot offhand side easier.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really depends on the rifle and intended use. However, I generally have my BFG VCAS sling QD attached on the front handguard just forward of the upper receiver. The rear is attached on the strong side of the stock so transitions to weak side shooting doesnt choke me with the sling.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I like my slings about where RogueJSK has his attached but, like some of the others I like the sling attached to the opposite side of buttstock. Having it mounted on the opposite side keeps the attachment point out of your chest when carrying it and aids in transition to left shoulder imo.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rear of the stock and just ahead of the barrel nut. One trick I picked up was mounting the rear point on the opposite side of the stock. It seems goofy at first, but when you tighten the sling down, it pulls the rifle tighter in the shoulder.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Rear of the castle nut, front of the barrel nut:

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Mine is rigged up very much like DennisM and this one that Para shared:

I find that having the rearmost attachment near the castle nut keeps the rifle at the proper height when I take my hands off.

Attaching the sling at the rear of the stock allows the rifle to sag way too much.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Detail on the above

GG&G Sling Thing on an M4 stock.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is almost identical to Rogue’s up front. On the back I put the QD swivel I. The opposite side. It doesn’t hang as flat, but gets out of my way better when shouldering. That was a recommendation in a class I was in, and it really worked.

-shooter

Posts: 342 | Location: VA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shooter220:
Mine is almost identical to Rogue’s up front. On the back I put the QD swivel I. The opposite side. It doesn’t hang as flat, but gets out of my way better when shouldering. That was a recommendation in a class I was in, and it really worked.

-shooter
Same. Front 1/3 up the handguard, rear on the opposite side of the stock.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

QD slings on two of my competition rifles. The top one is an 18" barrel, rifle-length gas, precision rifle. The lower one is a 16" barrel, mid-length gas, short & mid-distance carbine.

I prefer rear sling attachment at the end of the stock, with the attachment being just behind my right ear with the gun mounted for shooting. I prefer the front sling attachment just forward of my support hand's position on the rail. These two attachment positions optimize the sling use for rifle support in standing, kneeling, and sitting positions. Furthermore, it allows me better options for using a sling from barrier or alternative positions.

With these attachment points and with the slings at the length ready for supported shooting, these rifles hang a little lower than what some other shooters prefer. But this slung position works for me. The upper (18") rifle has been used in multiple precision rifle/carbine matches & training, and the lower (16") rifle has been used in carbine courses & training. One precision match has been very strenuous -- requiring running & jogging across a couple of miles of rough terrain with a pack and slung rifle.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
You right handed shooters really have the rear of the sling attached on the left side of the stock? Interesting. I've always found it more comfortable and out of the way to attach on the right side of the stock.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have the forward point on a QD socket up on the front sight base (Midwest Industries adapter), mostly because I haven't found a good way to attach a QD socket to the handguard. I'm experimenting with the rear placement (butt vs. end plate).

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
You right handed shooters really have the rear of the sling attached on the left side of the stock? Interesting. I've always found it more comfortable and out of the way to attach on the right side of the stock.

Yep. I've briefly experimented with the sling attached to the far side of the stock, but it makes the rifle want to roll/twist more when slung. And with adjustable two-point slings like the VCAS, I can adjust it to where there's enough slack to not choke me when I transition to the off side. If you need even more room, or your two point sling isn't rapidly adjustable, you can even quickly drop your offside arm out of the sling when transitioning to the offside shoulder.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post