SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    On the AR, Front Sight Blade or Not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the AR, Front Sight Blade or Not? Login/Join 
Family Man
posted
Happy Independence Day, SIGforum!

I'm in the process of building an AR. I don't have a lot of experience with the platform, although I have shot a few. This rifle has the intended uses of home defense, a carbine class (or two), and shooting at the range. I imagine most of the time I will shoot at ranges 100m or less. This will be my only AR for the foreseeable future.

I've decided on a 16" lightweight barrel with a mid-length gas system. I'm planning to put an Aimpoint PRO, sling, MBUS rear sight and light on the rifle. I already have a complete lower and now it's time to select an upper. I will not be building this upper.

Here is where I am torn:

I love the look of ARs with the front sight blade. It just seems to belong there. If I go this route, I plan on running a Magpul MOE SL handguard with a QD socket. I seem to remember reading about POI shift due to sling tension on the barrel when not free floated, but that issue may be overblown (or not, I have no idea).

On the other hand, I understand the advantages of the longer rail with a free floated barrel. I don't like the look as much, but this appears to be the trend in recent years. In this case, the rail is 13" long with M-LOK slots and two QD sockets. I will put an MBUS front sight on it.

Based on what I've outlined above, which direction would you go? I would love the input of those who have more experience with the platform than I do. There is a $5 difference in the price of the two options I am looking at. If you've switch from one preference to another, I'd love to hear why.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Of your two options, I'd go with the free-floated M-Lok handguard.

I like my support hand to be out front as far as possible.| My preference is no front sight base, with the longest free-floated handguard available for that barrel length. (Minimum 13", and preferably 15" handguard.) For example:

But if you want to keep the fixed FSB, there are a few options out there that will give you the best of both worlds. For example, I still have one lone remaining AR with a fixed FSB, but it too has an extended free-float handguard:

That handguard is a carbine-length Troy Delta rail. They also have a mid-length version that you could use on your build: https://troyind.com/products/delta-mid-length-blk There may be a few other options out there for free-floated midlength handguards that work around the fixed FSB.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love the look of ARs with the front sight blade. It just seems to belong there. If I go this route, I plan on running a Magpul MOE SL handguard with a QD socket. I seem to remember reading about POI shift due to sling tension on the barrel when not free floated, but that issue may be overblown (or not, I have no idea).

If you like the look of an AR with the FSB, go for it. It is your rifle, after all.
I predict that after you get the first one, there will be another one in your future.
With AR prices as low as they are now, that won't be too difficult.

Sling tension without a free float handguard will change the point of impact. Its not that big a deal at close ranges but further out, you will notice it.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett257:
H but this appears to be the trend in recent years.

And thats all it is. In fact I see 20in AR's coming bac into fad.

I personally prefer no FSB but I have a pair of 16s and a pair of 20s I built for my sons all have FSB as well. For a simple gun they have merit. If I only had one AR it would likely have one.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at ARMS 41b front sight.
FSB profile but folds.
I have one on my MK18ish sbr because I don't like a sight in the way of my optics.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

And thats all it is. In fact I see 20in AR's coming bac into fad.

Yup, just built one last month.

With any kind of magnified optic, you do not see the FSB at all.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post