SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Browning BAR sporting rifles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BAR sporting rifles Login/Join 
Picture of Kuisis
posted
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Browning BAR sporting rifles? There are a few around here for sale and I was thinking of getting one. This one is in .338 Winchester. Any info would be appreciated.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Love mine in 30.06 .I bought used about thirty years ago,was a premium price back then but has served me well on many hunts.
The crown was dinged up and I think that is why the owner ditched it.
I put an 11 degree crown and it shoots fantastic.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
if you want a traditional-looking semi-auto hunting rifle, they're just about impossible to beat.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot 4 hogs with my .338 this morning. The great thing about the BAR, particularly in the magnum calibers, is that the stiff spring really absorbs a ton of recoil, making the .338 very manageable. Plus the magnums have a nice rubber pad on them. You won't be disappointed if you grab one in good condition.
bb

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Very accurate and reliable rifles. Beneli makes one that is also a good option.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Very accurate and reliable rifles. Beneli makes one that is also a good option.

I have a Benelli R1 in 30.06. It was my response to Cuomo's unSAFE Act. I really wanted a BAR, but they were $300 more and a really long wait time. The Benelli has run flawlessly, but it is ammo sensitive from an accuracy perspective. I found that Federal Fusion 165 grain was best for accuracy at ~ 1.25 MOA. I tried other brands and weights, but nothing else grouped as well. Winchester & Remington 180 grain would not group, period.

I believe the BAR may be a better choice from an accuracy and overall build quality perspective. YMMV

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I think I will get it tomorrow.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For a semi-auto rifle in the mid to larger chamberings, it’s hard to beat a BAR. I have one in 243 and 308. I have had no adverse issues.

When it comes to the average hunt though I about always take one of my bolt actions. I’m picky about triggers and most of the deal is sealed with that 1st shot. There could be some applications where I would take the BAR. I do like a semi for coyote hunting.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dumb question...

is it legal to hunt in your state with a semi-auto?

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I know two friends who had BARs in either 7mm or 300win mag and both had miss fires in extremely cold conditions. Otherwise they were happy with the accuracy and how they worked in milder conditions. Missed some meat on the table thou. Afterwards they pulled the firing pin and made sure the bolt and pin were clean. But they never used them again when they knew it was going to be frigid out again.

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I thought PA recently opened up to legally hunt deer or bear with a semi-auto? With the 338 maybe he’s looking to out of State hunting, Elk or bears, whatever.

When hunting in adverse weather I normally favor a simpler action to keep clean and functional. I do realize one can keep the semi running fine in cold, snow and sleet, it just takes more attention than the average bolt gun.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Actually I just always have wanted one. I hunt with deer with a .243 Steyr Mannlicher. You've always been able to hunt with a Semi auto shotgun and rimfire, but I'm not really sure about centerfire.

posted Hide Post
After ditching my fairly new lightly used problematic Remington 7400 about 30 years ago (no internet..... Wasn't aware of all the problems with Remington semi-autos) I bought a BAR II Safari in 30.06. Very satisfied with it. Never had a problem with it although I don't shoot it very much. It is my go-to deer rifle.

Fast forward to just a few years ago when it became time to buy a hunting rifle for my son I decided on the Benelli R1 in 30.06. Available and quite a bit cheaper. Found a load it shoots well and have been very happy with it. One very nice feature of the Benelli is that you can take it apart completely, including the bolt with absolutely no tools! If you buy used be sure to get a newer one that has the updated gas piston.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
IIRC, they come in several different grades, so just be aware of which you're buying and which have the most/least value when you go to pick it up.

I once had a Safari grade BAR in .300 Win Mag, and foolishly sold it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot them and handled them, they seem well built and shoot well, for what I do though I have no use for one. I’m not hauling one of those things up a mountain or through the tundra looking for moose.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was first stationed in Germany the K-Town rod and gun had a BAR in .270. I wanted one in .308 so I passed on it thinking I could pick up a .308 a little later. The club never got any more in. Kind of regret not picking it up now. If you see a good one grab it.

Posts: 78 | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not experienced any cold weather cycling issues with the Benelli. It ran well to -5 F, but my experience is very limited.

Lubricant type & volume can easily get you in trouble in cold temperatures. Less is more and synthetic oil better than grease.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post