SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sometimes you have to check the basics...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes you have to check the basics... Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It was here I learned that the precision shooters valued dry firing practice, and that prompted me to start my own regular sessions. I believe it’s been a significant help to my own progress.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
I am a fan of dry fire practice, I never considered it for long range shooting.

(Of course long range for me is anything beyond 100 yards!)

It's critical for long range precision shooting.

I started a tread here some time back on how to practice and get ready for LR competition shooting. Dry firing is key as you build your muscle memory. When you get to the point where you can press the trigger while focusing on a dot on a wall and the crosshair or dot or whatever stays put on the dot, you are doing excellent dry firing. This means you are not thinking about the mechanics of breathing and holding still, that's all on automatic; now you're totally focused on pressing the trigger at the exact moment you want and you are not surprised by it.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
Also, if you are holding quite a ways into the wind, you usually put in a little elevation on a left wind and take away a little bit on a right wind hold.

Can you explain why you do this?

It has to do with the spin of the bullet. With a right hand twist, that's what you expect. I found a diagram from Benchrest.com, I think it's even from my friend Speedy. (I'll ask him the next time I see him at a match.)

So, as you can see in the picture, if the wind is coming from the right (#3 arrow) the bullet will be pushed up and left, so that's why an astute wind coach or shooter will hold a little low when holding quite a ways right. This is where your waterline is critical and also you need to have a reticle that is level, very level.

If you have a left-hand twist, you reverse it. You can also read up on the Magnus Effect. And you need to account for spindrift also.

Is the vertical element of that what is sometimes referred to as 'climb drift'?

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Climb drift"? That's a new one on me. I've never heard the term before. Then again, I don't know a whole lot about ballistics, still lots to learn.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post