SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger American or Savage Axis II...Deer Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger American or Savage Axis II...Deer Rifle Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
Looking to pick up a relatively inexpensive rifle for my daughter to deer hunt with, but we are limited to straight-walled cartridges. I was considering the new .350 Legend. There are plenty of Ruger American rifles in that chamber around and I just started seeing the Savage Axis II, but have not handled one yet. Any thoughts on either?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
If you never plan to change the gun, outside of an optic, and maybe even sell it or trade it at a later date; it is my opinion that Savage makes the more accurate rifle, but we're talking about very minor differences in between the two.

However, I would probably buy the Ruger simply because the aftermarket has been more kind to Ruger than Savage. I think you'd be able to modify and upgrade the American easier than the Axis II, if you decided it was a keeper.

I would buy multiples of either one before I bought anything made by Remington. Wink

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad bought an Axis (not Axis II & non-Accutrigger) in 243 for my sister & step-mom. Trigger kit added & it's a good shooter.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the Ruger American is a very nice rifle for the money. That being said, I’m not a savage fan at all (I own one). I see quite a few Ruger Americans here in AK, I almost grabbed one in 270 awhile back.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Then there’s also the “new” 38-55 Henry Lever Action or Single Shot.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster and I love that little gun. I looked at the ruger and savage before picking up the ruger. To me the trigger was better, it has more after market support, and it was cheaper.

The 350 Legend was not an option this time last year when I bought my 450 bushmaster. It looks to be an impressive round with light recoil.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Marlin 1894 in .44 mag.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post