SIGforum
Ruger American or Savage Axis II...Deer Rifle

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6980065954

August 03, 2019, 06:41 AM
jcsabolt2
Ruger American or Savage Axis II...Deer Rifle
Looking to pick up a relatively inexpensive rifle for my daughter to deer hunt with, but we are limited to straight-walled cartridges. I was considering the new .350 Legend. There are plenty of Ruger American rifles in that chamber around and I just started seeing the Savage Axis II, but have not handled one yet. Any thoughts on either?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf
August 03, 2019, 08:12 AM
bionic218
If you never plan to change the gun, outside of an optic, and maybe even sell it or trade it at a later date; it is my opinion that Savage makes the more accurate rifle, but we're talking about very minor differences in between the two.

However, I would probably buy the Ruger simply because the aftermarket has been more kind to Ruger than Savage. I think you'd be able to modify and upgrade the American easier than the Axis II, if you decided it was a keeper.

I would buy multiples of either one before I bought anything made by Remington. Wink
August 03, 2019, 10:59 AM
P250UA5
My dad bought an Axis (not Axis II & non-Accutrigger) in 243 for my sister & step-mom. Trigger kit added & it's a good shooter.

The Enemy's gate is down.
August 03, 2019, 03:21 PM
newmexican
I think the Ruger American is a very nice rifle for the money. That being said, I’m not a savage fan at all (I own one). I see quite a few Ruger Americans here in AK, I almost grabbed one in 270 awhile back.
August 03, 2019, 03:51 PM
x0225095
Then there’s also the “new” 38-55 Henry Lever Action or Single Shot.

0:01
August 03, 2019, 07:01 PM
Factor8
I have a Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster and I love that little gun. I looked at the ruger and savage before picking up the ruger. To me the trigger was better, it has more after market support, and it was cheaper.

The 350 Legend was not an option this time last year when I bought my 450 bushmaster. It looks to be an impressive round with light recoil.
August 03, 2019, 07:47 PM
LS1 GTO
Marlin 1894 in .44 mag.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime