SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The Cowboy Assault Rifle Pistol Caliber
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cowboy Assault Rifle Pistol Caliber Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted
Notice a couple new pistol caliber "tactical" lever action rifles that have come out:

The Henry Big Boy X Model:

and

The Marlin 1894 Dark .357 (of course Marlin doesn't have it list on their website yet):

I am leaning toward the Henry right now but waiting on further reviews/range testing. The Henry has the both the tube load and side loading gate. Oh what the hell, I will probably eventually end up with both. Big Grin

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness Henry finally added a side gate; that was a deal killer for a lot of people. Personally, I'd rather have a straight stock- makes for a leaner package.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
While going down the Youtube rabbit hole, I found this video:

"It was designed as a fighting weapon, and it's still around because it did it's job."

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I would also prefer a standard loop lever vs a large lever. I don't shoot in gloves, ever.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Henry for two reasons....Love the threaded barrel on both also....

1 - Henry Lever Rifles are known for having a much smoother action

And

2 - The Henry holds 7 rounds to the Marlin’s 5 round capacity......

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucas McCain had the right idea....(YouTube is giving me error messages, can't link or embed somehow, nor play the opening scene).

Posts: 3214 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lever guns outnumber the semi rifles in my safe and I consider them a valid option for defensive use. They were the ARs of the 1880s. The real drawback (IMHO) is the admin handling of the gun. Unloading it requires the cartridges to be cycled through the action and this requires an extra level of care and attention. The tube feed Henrys have the ability to unload by emptying the tube so some may consider that a safer way to unload.
Another plus for the lever gun is the availability of good, lightly used (prior to our latest apocalypse) ones.
Make a simple change to the OEM sights and you have an accurate, handy defensive rifle.
Some will say that common lever gun calibers limit the gun to under 150 yards and under. If you want more distance, the Browning BLR is chambered in long distance calibers.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I would also prefer a standard loop lever vs a large lever. I don't shoot in gloves, ever.

Move up north, say the UP of Michigan or Montana for example. You might start wearing gloves.
LOL

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Lever guns outnumber the semi rifles in my safe and

Let me help you even the odds

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Going to go with the Henry, probably late April or early May. Talked with a guy who has the Henry and has handled the Marlin before making his purchase. Per him, the current Marlin's fit and finish is better than it recently has been but not as good as what it was. He said the fit and finish on the Henry was much better and more refined. Also per him, the the side loading gate on the Marlin actively tries to cut the tips of your fingers off while loading. Eek

Been doing the .357 revolver carry for the most part as my EDC lately. I have a Chiappa take down .357 lever rifle that I like (great for outdoor stuff hiking, camping, kayaking, etc).

posted Hide Post
Warpig:
Just got a Marlin 336BL with the laminate stock. Now if the range would open, I can try it out along with the Henry.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted about it back in jan,
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5400088564

I have since seen a rifle in 357 and 44 mag. I just havent seen one yet in 45 lc.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The day before yesterday, I pulled my Henry Big Boy 45 Colt out of the safe. I went through about 500 rounds. The snow didn't stop my fun, I grinned the whole time! I do wish it had a gate loader. The new X has my attention along with a suppressor. Wonder if the wood furniture and old levers will fit?

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Also per him, the the side loading gate on the Marlin actively tries to cut the tips of your fingers off while loading.

That's been my experience.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester '94 lever-action rifle in .45 Colt to match my Colt SAA revolvers. I have one in .44 magnum to go with my S&W double-action and Ruger single-action revolvers. I also have one in .30-30.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Hmmm--got to thinking about knock down power for my AR vs my Lever 45-70.
Then I found this chart.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=...xegCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI

AR falls in the varmit category. Tactical Lever in either 444 Marlin or 45/70 has the knock down energy needed,

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Henry's a decent looking rifle. Just a bit ahead of the Marlin in aesthetics, IMO.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Wish the Henry had a rail section on top to mount optics. A red dot would be sweet on that rifle.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
The receiver is drilled and tapped. It shouldn't be hard to put a rail on there.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Wish the Henry had a rail section on top to mount optics. A red dot would be sweet on that rifle.

A bunch of them around like this one:

Henry Repeating Arms Receiver Scope Mount Fits Henry Big Boy