SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Found a $200 shotgun I had to buy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a $200 shotgun I had to buy Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Wandered into my local fun store, and found a police trade in Mossberg 500 that had been sitting for a while apparently.

Extended mag tube, ghost ring sights, bayonet lug, 590 barrel, and no one was interested. Perhaps because of the sun bleached pink/salmon/traffic cone colored "less than lethal" furniture on it.

Sold!

Of course, I don't have it yet, because I renewed my permit, and apparently it's in the mail because they've deactivated the old one. Called my local PD just now and yeah, approved on 1/02, but not "valid" until PD hands it to me. I feel safer....

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Screaming deal, man. You gonna replace the furniture?

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice find!

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Screaming deal, man. You gonna replace the furniture?

No, it's part of the charm.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Less than lethal my ass!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Now you can tell home invaders, "I swear by my pretty floral buttstock I'll end you".

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
No, it's part of the charm.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping you'd say that. Can we see a pic?

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, I don't have it yet, because I renewed my permit, and apparently it's in the mail because they've deactivated the old one. Called my local PD just now and yeah, approved on 1/02, but not "valid" until PD hands it to me. I feel safer....

Arc.

posted Hide Post
Less Lethal means it has almost no wear and tear. Those less lethal rounds are very light on the gun. Great buy!

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I would have bought it, nice find.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'm certain that it's just that the stock looks pink that someone didn't even ask on it.

Sort of a hidden gem, because "used police gun" doesn't sound good on its face, but if you look at it, and have a sense of what the stock means, you buy.

Arc.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Wish I'd found it, I've got the ammo but not the gun!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I was actually pondering getting some bean bag rounds.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
You certainly have lots of options if you do decide to mod the furniture. Tons of stock black furniture out there as well as the RIT dye option the AR guys sometimes use.

I remember when CDNN was blowing out the LL orange stocks dirt cheap.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There are other stocks you can buy for a Mossberg?

I'm so glad you told me that.

I had no idea.

Arc.

Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
Dragons Breath....Pink Surprise. Your house will burn down, but imagine the shock effect on the trouble maker!! Smile Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Going to have to post a pic when you get it. i have no idea what the colors look like.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had no idea.

Pardon me. It was just a comment. I've followed and owned these underrated guns for years. The aftermarket caught up to the 500 after getting the 870 squared away.

The LL guns are often the filthiest of the bunch with the least amount of wear.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
quote:

I had no idea.

Pardon me. It was just a comment. I've followed and owned these underrated guns for years. The aftermarket caught up to the 500 after getting the 870 squared away.

The LL guns are often the filthiest of the bunch with the least amount of wear.

Allow me to explain.

In the context of this thread, what might one infer about the OP's general knowledge? Then we'll take into account all of the features of the weapon described.

I've just picked out an inexpensive used gun that a casual observer might assume is a turd. One with a number of features people typically _add_ to a _new_ Mossberg.

I've just purchased the most perfectly polished sneaker. Why, why would I bother buying any parts for it, ever, aside from ones that break?

More simply, could you see that pointing out to almost anyone, that black furniture is available, isn't particularly helpful? Perhaps even could be construed as a condescension?

Of course there is an ocean of aftermarket, and even stock, stock options for this shotgun. Why would I spend any money on it beyond feeding it or repairing it, in the context of what we know about it, and me?

quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Going to have to post a pic when you get it. i have no idea what the colors look like.

It really is as I describe, somewhere in pink/orange/sunbleached/used. In the right light it might be flesh colored. Maybe I should paint some veins on it. Then the "beanbag" rounds would have a special meaning.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
You sure showed him for trying to be helpful.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post