SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Where and what for M1 carbine purchase?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where and what for M1 carbine purchase? Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
Well I failed with the CMP carbine purchase a year or so ago, have been looking no locally without much luck. I’d like to get a decent shooter in good mechanical shape, an actual WWII.

What should I look for and from whom? I have been leaning towards simpsons Ltd simply because they sell what is advertised, albeit at a premium. I don’t know enough for CMP auctions.

Looking for advice/guidance on gettIng got a good one, not looking for best “deal” but don’t want to be taken either. Locally it is a desert for M1 carbines. Much appreciated in advance.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Gunbroker and CMP forum, not the auction but the WTS ads. Patience is key. I've had success here in NC visiting local FFL's and building relationships with them. They know what I like and that I'm a serious buyer. M1 Carbines are and have been en vogue for years now so real deal carbines bring a premium as you've seen. Patience and buy when and where you find one.

IMO anything under $1k that is a war time production maker, don't hesitate, buy it. It's not going to depreciate in value.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I'm kicking myself for selling off the one I had a few years back. well, wishing I hadn't have had to sell. It was a Blue Sky import, but even those are right around $1k nowadays.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is to keep an eye on milsurp forums Classifieds sections. Places like Gunboards and the CMP Forum.

Carbines pop up for sale at reasonable prices not infrequently, but they tend to go quickly.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post