SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle transfer across state line
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle transfer across state line Login/Join 
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted
My brother lives in an adjoining state and it is legal for either of us to cross the state line to purchase a rifle or shotgun. If I wanted to gift him a rifle, would the transfer still have to go through an FFL?

I appreciate any helpful input.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
You can in most cases purchase long guns across adjoining state lines.

But, person to person transfers still have to go through FFL like a hand gun.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info smithnsig, I guess I will do it the hard way Big Grin.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Because you are both "non-licensees" the transfer will need to go through a "licensee."

https://www.atf.gov/questions-...-her-state-he-or-she
(while the FAQ uses the term "purchased," if you check the statute citations you will see it applies to all transfers)

https://www.atf.gov/questions-...-under-gca-any-state

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Thanks DMF, I checked and he has a LGS he does business with that can handle the transfer.

NRA
Georgia Carry