SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Savage 11 Scout?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 11 Scout? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Anyone have one of the newer Savage Scout rifles? What are your thoughts?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one?

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in 7.62x39, swapped to a Boyds laminate stock, EGW pic rail, and had it threaded. Shoots steel case Ammo in small groups at 100y all day.

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern Neck, Virginia | Registered: November 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The slow climb of the Scout Rifle is something that continues to intrigue me.

It seems to be all about price point, as people gave me crap for years for buying a Steyr.

The Ruger was the breakout.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
I heard it was a nice rifle but a little on the heavy side to be considered a “scout” by coopers defenition.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got the Ruger Scout in 450 Bushmaster a couple of days ago. Have the option of a polymer stock that shaves a pound off the weight. Still trying to decide what to do for an optic.

Posts: 203 | Registered: April 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There seems to be a relative dearth of long eye relief telescopic sights on the market.

An aimpoint or similar is always an option, but if I get one of these rifles, I'd want a low-powered variable scope.

Anyone know how easy it is to remove the factory Savage muzzle brake and what the threads are?

posted Hide Post
I have one in 7.62x39. Swapped the plastic stock for a Boyd’s laminate, removed the scout mount switched to EGW pic mount, and threaded. Has an accutrigger. Shoots Tula, Wolf, and Federal Ammo in quarter size groups at 100y.

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern Neck, Virginia | Registered: November 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have a model 11 Hog Hunter in 308 that is a close relative. It is a nice rifle.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
There seems to be a relative dearth of long eye relief telescopic sights on the market.

Check out Redfield for some scopes with a longer eye relief.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have the Vortex 2-7 x 32. Street price is around $145.00. I am very happy with this scope. Very clear, decent field of view, plenty or eye relief.

I have it on a Springfield M1A Scout Squad.

http://vortexoptics.com/produc...I-2-7x32-scout-scope

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post