SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for a sling for my work M4
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a sling for my work M4 Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Thank Para. I appreciate your review.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will swim upstream. I build my own slings from components I get from Strapworks.com

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Specter Gear makes some pretty good slings as well.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a military and LE career, I now work in counter piracy in the merchant marine.
In my experience a sling is good for only 2 and a half things.
1. Humping the weapon over a distance
2. Holding it in a ready position while on a stationary post-like a road block or the fantail of a low freeboard tug or other vessel-a single point seems to work best here.
The half is for accuracy, however the effective
use of the hasty sling seems a long ago proposition, and working a sling into the real brace position is a slow acting evolution.
SO I see work for two types of slings, the traditional military and the single point, depending on what one is doing, yes you can own two slings, its OK, really...........

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Ferro Concepts Slingster lately. I really like it. It adjusts faster for me than do the Vickers slings. I get mine at www.skdtac.com

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've been meaning to give the Slingster a try. Ferro Concepts make excellent quality gear.

However, I'm not sure I'll like it. It uses a similar adjustment mechanism to the VTAC and Specter Gear slings.

I've tried the VTAC and Specter Gear slings before, and don't their spring-loaded metal and cord adjustment method as well as the VCAS's more substantial adjustment mechanism.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Blue Force Gear for the win.

I have a VTAC as well but prefer the BFG VCAS setup better - specifically the padded 2-pt slings.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The Magpul MS1 is a solid sling but not as nice as the VCAS. For example, the adjustment slider on the Magpul sling doesn't have the hanging strap attached to it like the VCAS. Adjustment of the sling is slower because you have to firmly grasp the slider to move it. If you're wearing gloves and/or trying quickly to make an adjustment, the VCAS is superior to the MS1. Also, the quality of the webbing doesn't seem to be quite up to that of the VCAS. However, if a man told me he was on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the MS1.

I have the Magpul on my shotgun, Moss 590 and agree, it is a very nice sling.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blue Force Gear here too, I must have 10 or more. I have them on my ARs, Benelli M1, PTR, and 762 Galil.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Blue Force here too.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Viking Tactics bungee sling. I really like how it gives me quick adjustment and slings right for shooting and transition shooting.

https://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-bgs.htm

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Good point on the potential need for sling control, HCM. I keep my slings wrangled when stowed by using Blue Force Gear Sling Sleeves, but something as simple as a rubber band or piece of bike innertube will do the trick.

The BFG sling sleeve is good with standard slings but doesn’t really work with padded slings IME.

Rubber bands work for a while but need regular replacement. Hair scrunches last longer and don’t get caught up / break as much as rubber bands.

Lunar Concepts, the guys who make the “Split Fix” for AR braces have a sling control option but I have tried it and it costs more that the FCD options.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I went with a Savvy Sniper QUAD dual QD MS on my AR. Very quick and easy to transition from single-point to dual-point or vice-versa.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a MagPul for my duty rifle. Has worked well for me.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
We issued the Viking sling back when I was in the car and had a rifle. Pretty sure it's still the issue. It was great for the purpose. Need your hands? Drop the rifle and it rests across your chest. Need to climb a fence? Sling the rifle over your shoulder and it rests muzzle up across your back. Need some retention walking through a crowd? Drop the rifle and yank the adjustment strap and it's stowed tight against your chest. The ability to quickly tighten and loosen the sling adds a ton of usability over the old web sling.

My personal rifle has a Magpul on it. I like the Magpul just fine, but I agree with Para. It's slower to adjust than the Viking, has less adjustment than the Viking, and doesn't seem to be the same quality. I do like that with the Magpul I can put quick detach points on multiple rifles and switch the sling between them easily.

For a long time I did run an old style web sling on a carbine. I looped it around the slot in the stock and used paracord on the front sight post. I eventually added a quick detach clip in case I needed to dump the rifle quickly and then moved to the Magpul. You can make the old style work, but the new slings ARE better.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Another great thing about a quick-adjustable sling is that it's seasonal. If your sling is not quick-adjustable and it's adjusted for you wearing summer-weight clothing, what happens when you sling the rifle while wearing a heavy winter parka?

Whether you choose the VCAS or the Magpul or whichever, I think that sling quick-adjustability is a truly practical feature.
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I do like that with the Magpul I can put quick detach points on multiple rifles and switch the sling between them easily.
Yes, that's true. Points awarded to Magpul for this kind of flexibility.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most (if not all, at this point) of the better sling systems (Viking, Savysniper and Magpul included) all have different opinions for attachment points. HK, QD, Clip...
It all depends on what you want to go with on the weapon, or of the weapon is already set up quite the QD attachment points.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I will swim upstream. I build my own slings from components I get from Strapworks.com

Do you have a sewing machine to handle that?
How thick of webbing can you get through?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any adjustable two point will do the trick. VCAS, VTAC, Magpul, HSP, Ferro, Savvy, etc, etc, etc. All different pages of the same book. Personal preference will dictate which one is best for you. I like the VTAC padded, but have used most of the ones I've listed and all had their salient points.

For cop work, I would do QD attachments and would consider adding an IWC 2 to 1 triglide or doing a Magpul MS4. The ability to switch to one point for vehicle operations or CQB type work is useful. I'm not a one-point fan, but there are a couple places where they make sense.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have a VTAC that I have used for many years but I wanted a quick release so I bought one of these!. Comparable to the blue line but I liked the material better and the wider strap is part of the sling

https://haleystrategic.com/sho...accessories/d3-sling

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post