SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for a sling for my work M4
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a sling for my work M4 Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a sling for my work M4 (LEO).
We are qualifying on the new rifles later this month and will begin carrying them in the patrol car after that. What kind of sling is everybody else using? Thanks in advance.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Blue Force Gear VCAS. https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling

I have them on all my defensive long guns.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
18 years as a city cop.
21 years as a sailor in the CG where we carried M16’s.
And I was a firearms instructor for 14 years.

I’ve tried every kind of sling on an AR.
I wound up coming back to the simple two point military sling. For several reasons.

1. For long distance accurate fire, a sling is better then nothing and we didn’t normally carry around a benchrest.
2. For policing, you have to remember that you might be traversing fences and what not. The two point sling frees up your hands to tackle those obstacles. And the rifle is on you bask and not in your way.
3. Probably the most important, with a two point sling, when you are climbing that fence in the rain and at night, if you release a single point sling the rifle will smack you in the giblets. guaranteed. Every time.

I couldn’t get past the price of a Vickers sling...when a $9 OD military sling does the same thing. I liked the Vickers sling but the military one just works.

And in reality, if you have a rifle out, you are not gonna be handcuffing people, that’s for the rookie who doesn’t have a rifle.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Blue Force Gear VCAS. https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling

I have them on all my defensive long guns.

This one.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
18 years as a city cop.

I wound up coming back to the simple two point military sling. For several reasons.

1. For long distance accurate fire, a sling is better then nothing and we didn’t normally carry around a benchrest.
2. For policing, you have to remember that you might be traversing fences and what not. The two point sling frees up your hands to tackle those obstacles. And the rifle is on you bask and not in your way.
3. Probably the most important, with a two point sling, when you are climbing that fence in the rain and at night, if you release a single point sling the rifle will smack you in the giblets. guaranteed. Every time.

I couldn’t get past the price of a Vickers sling...when a $9 OD military sling does the same thing. I liked the Vickers sling but the military one just works.

And in reality, if you have a rifle out, you are not gonna be handcuffing people, that’s for the rookie who doesn’t have a rifle.

^^^ that is right on the money. The fancy slings are cool but the plain-Jane old military sling does the trick.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the situations I use my rifles for defensive and LE work, I won't need to (or have the opportunity to) fully "sling up" on my bicep with a traditional shooting sling, like in competition, long range hunting, or on the range.

And an adjustable 2 point sling like the VCAS still allows you to use it as a "hasty sling" to provide some extra tension and help steady your rifle.

quote:

An adjustable 2 point sling like the VCAS does all this and more. It allows you to have your hands free without the rifle swinging around and tagging your nuts. And if you want, the rifle can be swapped to hang on your back easily.

But in addition, it's much quicker to transition from slung to usable, and back, than a traditional 2 point sling. It allows you to instantly transition from rifle to pistol, or from rifle to empty hands, by simply dropping the rifle to allow it to fall to its neutral slung position out of the way across your body. It's not a series of actions to sling the rifle, like with a traditional 2 point sling... Instead, it's one step: Let go. (Almost a non-action.) Getting the rifle back into action is just as easy: Pick it up.

And when it's in that slung position, it can be rapidly adjusted to keep the rifle held snug to your body, so it doesn't flop around or require keeping a hand on the sling or the rifle when moving around a lot, like a traditional 2 point sling does when slung on the shoulder/back.

It's also significantly more comfortable when carrying a rifle for an extended amount of time, especially on the move, because you can use the adjustable 2 point sling to support the rifle in a "patrol ready" position, and instantly transition to a shooting position. With a traditional 2 point sling, your options are having the rifle be in either an unusable slung position on your shoulder or otherwise fully held in your arms, with a not insignificant transition required between the two.

quote:
I couldn’t get past the price of a Vickers sling...when a $9 OD military sling does the same thing.

That's the only real category in which the traditional 2 point sling wins.

In addition to the extra money on the VCAS sling itself, you often also have to invest in alternate sling attachment hardware, since it's designed to be attached on the rifle of the rifle, not the bottom of the rifle like a traditional 2 point sling.

But the extra functionality is well worth the extra money and setup in my book. Hence why I have them on all my serious use rifles.

quote:

Not true. But even if you're not cuffing, you could be climbing, hopping fences, crawling, manipulating objects, applying first aid, dragging a casualty, etc.

All good reasons to need to rapidly and securely sling your rifle to have both hands free, and rapidly transition back to having the rifle at the ready. Which is what the VCAS excels at.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by depusm12:
Looking for a sling for my work M4 (LEO).
We are qualifying on the new rifles later this month and will begin carrying them in the patrol car after that. What kind of sling is everybody else using? Thanks in advance.

James

A good quick adjust 2 point sling.

Lots of options.

The Blueforce gear VCAS is good as is the Viking tactics sling which is issued by many federal agencies.

Other options are the Ferro Concepts slingster and the Centerfuge Training sling. What I like about the centerfuge sling is the hook set up for sling control ie keeping the sling out of the way when not in use, getting in and out if vehicles etc.

Blueforce gear and forward control designs have some good and inexpensive sling control options. This is something often overlooked by .MIL users who wear the sling most of the time and casual users who aren’t worried about getting caught up trying to unass a vehicle.

FCD Sling Keep A

FCD Sling Keep B

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good point on the potential need for sling control, HCM. I keep my slings wrangled when stowed by using Blue Force Gear Sling Sleeves, but something as simple as a rubber band or piece of bike innertube will do the trick.

posted Hide Post
A properly mounted military 2pt web sling would work well...but I agree a quick adjust 2pt is the best IMHO.

I have Blue Force Gear, padded VTAC, and a Gear Sector on different long guns, like them all.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Twenty-three years active duty service in the Army.. about half that time I had the additional duty of unit armorer.

I was never happy with the standard issue two point slings. Before Blue Force Gear was up and running, I was introduced to Tactical Tailor's slings. These were leaps and bounds ahead of the issue two point sling.

In recent years, I've been equipping my rifles and shotguns with BFG slings. I love the simplicity and durability of them.

Ask the Marine Corps what they think about BFG slings. Wink

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VCAS or VTAC. The quick adjust is good if you are throwing on rifle plates, also a quick adjustment on the sling can help you steady the rifle when a rest isn't available. Plus, you can snug it up quickly if you need to climb or navigate unusual terrain.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I really like my Savy Sniper Sling.
https://savvysniper.com/slings

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
For home rifles I have the savvysniper quad slings. At work I installed most of ours with BFGs except my work rifle is a 1pt since it’s the only short barrel. I couldn’t get a 2 pt working well with it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:

Yep. I’ve used Blue Force Gear and tried MagPuls when it came out but only use SS now.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
18 years as a city cop.

^^^ that is right on the money. The fancy slings are cool but the plain-Jane old military sling does the trick.

And with the old issue sling you could use it IDF style....just use an old 203 front sling clip, that's what we used before the HSLD slings came out

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:

Yep. I’ve used Blue Force Gear and tried MagPuls when it came out but only use SS now.

Same here.
I have the good fortune to have a gun & police supply salesman as my neighbor. (It IS really expensive to have a dealer of fine goods living so damn close!) So I get to try out a lot of cool shit. I've tried the Blue Force and the Magpul, both are well built, comfortable and work well.

That Savysniper has them beat! Lightweight, comfortable, quick adjustment. I have the QD mounts on a single point sling, but can quickly make it into a 2 point.

I use a good old department issued rubber band as a sling keeper. If it breaks, I just grab another one out of the front desk. The rubber band I'm currently using has lasted about 9 months.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
4 years USMC
20+ year LE
18 years Firearms Instructor

Wink

I put Viking Tactics padded slings on my two AR's. While I've certainly used the old reliable GI sling, I prefer to have one that is adjustable. Quick and simple to use.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All my ARs and my SCAR 17 wear Blue Force VCAS and they are worth every penny. High quality webbing and hardware, properly sewn. Very rapid adjustment of the sling. One great use of this ease of adjustment is if you're slinging the rifle at times while wearing body armor, and at other times without body armor. Once you have the sling properly adjusted a quick pull on the adjustment strap gives you the correct length of sling for your rifle to hang at the desired height on your chest.

On top of that, the good people at Blue Force Gear are some of the politest and most helpful people I've encountered in the gun industry, and if you have any sort of issue with one of their products, they will take care of you. I can attest to this personally. I ordered an incorrect sling configuration. This was my mistake, not theirs, but when I called to return the sling, they said "Keep it and we'll send you another." Mind you, this wasn't a defective product or an oddball configuration. They could have sold that sling as new in no time at all, but instead made a gift of it to me. Really outstanding customer service.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have Magpul slings on most of my rifles and am happy with them.
With that said I will buy a Blue Force sling the next time I need one due to support I've seen on this forum. Y'all haven't steered me wrong yet.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Magpul MS1 is a solid sling but not as nice as the VCAS. For example, the adjustment slider on the Magpul sling doesn't have the hanging strap attached to it like the VCAS. Adjustment of the sling is slower because you have to firmly grasp the slider to move it. If you're wearing gloves and/or trying quickly to make an adjustment, the VCAS is superior to the MS1. Also, the quality of the webbing doesn't seem to be quite up to that of the VCAS. However, if a man told me he was on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the MS1.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post