SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question re bolt knobs for the bolt action rifle shooters.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question re bolt knobs for the bolt action rifle shooters. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
This new release from MDT has finally piqued my interest in the subject enough to post the question here:
How important is the size, shape, and texture of the bolt knob of your rifle(s)?

I have long been tempted by the neat-looking replacement bolt knobs available for my Tikka rifles with their ridges, grooves, and grenade-like textures. Ultimately, however, I keep deciding that the smooth round factory knobs work just fine for me. Always looking for ways to make me think I’m improving things, though, I keep circling back to the idea.

So, your opinions: Do “improved” bolt knobs help with fast, positive manipulation of the bolt, or are they nothing more than psychological at best?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the Springfield era, a smooth bolt knob was an advantage. You would be taught to get the knob in the hollow of the hand and rotate, draw, return, and lock the bolt with the knob swiveling in kind of a ball and socket action. You would NOT grasp the bolt handle with the fingers.

I don't know what the Cool Guys are doing now, the few that find a need for rapid fire with a bolt action.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
In the Springfield era, a smooth bolt knob was an advantage. You would be taught to get the knob in the hollow of the hand and rotate, draw, return, and lock the bolt with the knob swiveling in kind of a ball and socket action. You would NOT grasp the bolt handle with the fingers.

I don't know what the Cool Guys are doing now, the few that find a need for rapid fire with a bolt action.

ditto the Enfield,

I'm not a modern bolt gunner either, but in today's tactical world, I would imagine it provides a better or more positive grip when speed is not really needed,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
For me I keep my hands soft and smooth ,I protect them with gloves doing work.
The method like Jim Watson uses is mine.
The knurled frugally ones I have shot on friends rifles don't work in the palm not for me.
The o3a3 is perfect and older remingtons.
Naganut are too damn long and need a slight curve

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

So, your opinions: Do “improved” bolt knobs help with fast, positive manipulation of the bolt

No!

A bolt knob has very little to do with fast and efficient bolt manipulation. Other then it could be too big in diameter. I'm pretty fast on a bolt, I make very little contact with the bolt knob itself. If one is grabbing, holding, pinching the bolt knob in any fashion like a gear shift, doing it wrong if fast and efficient is the goal.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.
What everyone has described thus far is pretty much how I operate a bolt and it always seem that a highly textured bolt knob would be more of a handicap than advantage. I was/am curious, though, in case I missed something along the way.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot a bolt gun a long time and don’t see the appeal, more of a bling thing.
I can run a bolt very fast, and use everything from a stock enfield modern factory savage and even the steyr scout butter knife handle equally well.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
the steyr scout butter knife handle

I have long wondered what the purpose of that bolt handle was as compared with the more traditional and far more common ball design.

According to some online discussion, it provides a lower profile for carrying/scabbarding, but anything else?

6.4/93.6

— Plato

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm very partial to this style which I added to this 1998 10FP rifle. Plenty of "meat" to handle.
(Pun intended.)
No round ball end or butter knife for me. Big Grin Jim Watson mechanics of operation here as well. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I started shooting high power in the late 1980's. I shot an AR, but there were plenty of bolt gunners on the line back then. If 'improved' bolt handles were that good, I think more shooters would have been using them back in the day. They have caught on with the glove wearing tactical operator crowd and their action matches.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post