SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR triggers and stocks and optics, oh my!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR triggers and stocks and optics, oh my!!! Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
So the parts are starting to slowly arrive and the build is taking shape. All my ARs in the past 5 years or so have been pretty much the same...

Anderson Arms receivers
ALG ACT trigger
BCM barrel/gas block
Magpul furniture (ACS or CTR)
SLR Rifleworks handguards

There has been small differences here and there. This time I have Aero Precision receivers, Criterion barrel (Badger Ordnance gas block), maybe some slightly "better" lower parts. I'm sticking with my MOE+ grip and while I picked a different handguard, it's still SLR.

I AM debating a "better" trigger, though I have literally zero experience. Timney I have heard of, as well as Geissele. Both offer a single-stage trigger that is supposed to be good. There is an Elftmann(?) as well. I don't shoot matches and this is going in a 14.5" carbine....any real pros/cons to getting a fancy drop-in?

I am a huge Magpul fanboi and had a MOE SL at one time. I liked the feel of it, it just looked too....dainty?...on the rifle I put it on. I was looking at the BCM Gunfighter as it's a little chunkier, but not real sure about how it'd feel. The B5 SOPMOD looks kinda cartoony IMHO. Yes, aesthetics shouldn't count, but still...

Lastly there is the optic. Original thought was an ACOG M150, but then I saw the ACSS reticle. And the VCOG. Tempting.

Decisions, decisions....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllenInAR,

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Magpul's STR for a carbine with a collapsible stock.

I use the BCM Gunfighter grip because it fits my hand well and mimics the grip angle of my precision rifles.

Wilson Combat's single stage trigger is on all my AR15s and AR10s. It has a crisp and predictable break, with a short and distinct reset.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you are building an AR, everyday is like Christmas as new parts and accessories arrive at your doorstep.

I run Geissele triggers in most of my rifles - no issues and I have been very happy with performance and reliability.

And aesthetics do count - just not as much as functionality.

Good luck.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a Larue MBT trigger instead.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The Larue MBT is worth the $80, but it's not as good as a Geissele SSA in my opinion.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I like CMC 2-stage triggers, Magpul furniture, single point slings, and ambi controls since my wife is left handed (I want her to be able to use them).

Building an AR is like a small block Chevy. The possibilities are nearly limitless.

Going to build another AR-15 this year and will likely build an AR-10 as well.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Get a Larue MBT trigger instead.

I've heard really good things about those triggers. I'm going to pick one up to try. The CMCs I have were around $150-170.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
ALG is the entry level Geissele trigger.
Amy Lynn Geissele

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
ALG is the entry level Geissele trigger.
Amy Lynn Geissele

I like my ALG ACT with purple 4.5 lb spring. Seems like a good trigger but I've never tried her husband's triggers. I might splurge some extra bucks to try a Geissele one day.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the current trigger dosen't slow you down or negatively impact you, why change it. Barring a manufacturing defect, he have a safe decent quality trigger to start with.

On stocks, magpul makes a good stock I've got their older MOE on a carbine and it works fine. I wouldn't butt stroke Russians with it, but its good enough for range work. The one thing I didn't like about it was that I had to buy the sling swivel socket separately and that it was not rotation limited. The stock you mentioned appears to have addressed that. I use the B5 bravo stock as my default. Similar price and quality. I don't care for the BCM because it's too chunky for my tastes. But, if you already are comfortable with whay works for you, it's probably not worth it to change. There is no real game changer IMHO.

For pistol grips I like the BCM for the angle and the bottom hatch. I had a MOE grip drop it's core insert at a carbine class once and think the BCM hatch is better at staying shut. YMMV

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just added a B5 Bravo stock to the lower that will get use with a "simple" upper I just built with a fixed FSB mid length barrel. I was planning to use Moe SL handguards on this upper and was told the barrel would have a round end cap but it's triangular like most mids and a started looking at other options. B5 makes super slim M-lok handguards (or keymod) that are no bigger than the current generation of super slim free float rails.

I'll probably grab a B5 Sopmod for the better check weld when using an upper with magnified optics.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Common to all of my AR builds are Gibbz Arms handguards because I like the mounting design, Timney Triggers because they are very clean breaking and easy to install, KNS trigger pins because they look cool, and MAGPUL ACS-L butt stocks because the cheek rest is absolutely 100% PERFECTION.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5645 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m getting in few days late but wanted to recommend the Wilson Combat TTU for a really nice single stage combat trigger. I have three lowers equipped with them and love shooting an AR that has one in it!

I will say in my experience the TTU won’t work with the CMMG 22lr bolt kit. I put a Geissele SSP in my 22 dedicated upper and it runs great.

The TTU also did not work well with my 9mm AR so stick to .223 with it.I haven’t had a chance to test the SSP with the 9mm but I hope it works well with the SSP since I think it retains the mil spec hammer design and geometry.

Pull weight is slightly less with the SSP but it doesn’t match the precision feel of the Wilson trigger pack. You can really work the Wilson trigger if you like shooting to reset it has such a great feel to it. All the moving parts in the Wilson pivot on hardened steel bushings inside the trigger pack so you don’t have to worry about the pins wearing against your aluminum receiver.

People will say you don’t need those expensive triggers. Just get the eighty dollar Larue or whatever but the TTU and SSP have ruined me on cheaper slicked up versions of whatever comes in a standard AR.

Get the debit card out and put a Wilson or Geissele in there and enjoy your shooting more. Every round will be more enjoyable and that makes it worth it to me. I’ll warn you though, you will want one in all your lowers once you shoot with one!

Edited to add: there has never been another forum I’ve cared to stick with for ten years. Thanks for teaching me and letting me throw a word or two in, Para and the rest of you guys.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
A new dilemma.....non-adjustable has blocks. Razz

Barrel came with a Badger Ordnance, in stainless steel. I also have an SLR Rifleworks one coming that is black. LOL

And I think I got it wrong, all my triggers are ALG QMS.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post