SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG/SAN 553 pair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG/SAN 553 pair Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
I picked up a spare diopter upper a few weeks ago and ordered a steel lower and M4 adapter for it. I put a spare Shockwave blade on a KAK tube on it for now. Last year, I bought a Sig SRD-556 suppressor (direct thread) for my 553 SBR and have been meaning to get around to taking the 3-prong flash hider off....honestly, I've been a bit scared to after having issues on my old 551-A1.

SO....I figured the new upper would be the guinea pig since there's no tax stamp on it (in case things went horribly wrong). Using a butane torch and monitoring temps with a laser thermometer, I saw the loctite flash over right around 500F. I stripped the upper down and put it in a vise, using some strips from an old leather belt right on barrel flats. A firm *snap* with a wrench on the flats of the flash hider and she came loose.

Some pics with the SBR and with the can mounted. Both have the 4-position gas regulator on them so hopefully, it'll work out nicely. I'm guessing the 0.9 setting is for suppressed fire since the stock regulator has the same 1.2/1.3 settings.

On to some pics...

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Thats interesting yours had any sort of thread locker on it, mine was just torqued on. Let us know how the Sig suppressor performs!
The .9 setting is definitely the one you want. I went with the Griffin Recce 5 on mine using their 3 prong.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Wow - looks great Dan!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Nice

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles, everyone!

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles all around!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoshNC,

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Sure are purdy rifles.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
just got my stamp today for my 553, any suggestions on best spot for engraving?? thanks

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Which model did you get?

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
553p mine is a few serial#'s down from yours on the bottom

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
yeah, so Diopter? I think I'm going to put mine on the top strap or even on the leading edge of the rear sight mount if we can make it work