SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope Suggestions for AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Suggestions for AR Login/Join 
posted
I am finally putting together my .300 blk SBR and will be moving my EOTech + magnifier to that setup. This leaves my 18” 5.56 Bushmaster in need of a scope. I love the idea of an ACOG, but just don’t want to spend that kind of money right now. Thinking a fixed 4 or 5 times would be nice. This is mostly used for plinking, have used it coyote hunting.

I have been buying all kinds of stuff for my other build from a Primary Arms. They have good deals and quick service. Anyone every buy their scopes? I was eyeing this one but didn’t know if it was junk.

Primary Arms SLx5

Other suggestions welcome, looking to keep it under $500.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have two Nikon P223 scopes, they have a ballistic drop marks out to 600 yards, but are ammo specific.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I prefer a variable power better than a fixed power scope like the OP linked.

My 18" 5.56 has a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x scope on it. My 20" 6.5 Grendel has a 1-8x Vortex Strike Eagle. My middle aged eyes prefer the 8x.

Primary Arms also makes 1-6x scopes. Theirs are $290 for Second Focal Plane and $399 for First Focal Plane. PA also makes a 1-8x scope.

In general, PA and Vortex Strike Eagle will be within $10 of each other.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A red dot with magnifier would work, so would a 1-4x, or 1-6. SWFA SS scopes are very good, as well as many, many others.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I have one of these, and for the money it can't be beat. It's a Primary Arms 1-4x, and I have mine on a 450 Bushmaster deer rifle. Serves the purpose extremely well.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...ted-riflescope-pa14x

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've got a PA optic that I like for the money.

I just got one of these in. It's REALY nice for the money. They are super discounted right now.
Vortex Optics Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32

It's a heck of a lot of scope for $400. Not far off what you would pay for a PA 1-6.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
I have both of the Vortex Strike Eagles, the 1-8 is on my PTR91. They are great scopes for the $$ but heavy.

The 1-6x is listed as 17.6 ounces and the 1-8x is listed as 16.5 ounces on Vortex's site. Those are not heavy scopes in my book.

hunter62 -- I recommend a variable power scope in the 1-5x to 1-8x ballpark. Vortex, Nikon, and Leupold have options that you may like.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
If you don't need a true 1x the Leupold VX-R Patrols @ 1.25-4 are great lightweight scopes.

I have a VX-R hog which is the same thing but with the BDC firedot Pigplex reticle and LO PRO capped turrets.
It, with the AERO Precision LW mount is about 15 oz combined.

Really handy and crisp clear glass.
VXR Patrol Hog

VXR 1.25-4

VXR Patrol 1.25-4

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I use a PA 1x6 ACSS on my AR15 and a PA 1x8 ACSS on my SR-762.
No complaints for either of them.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if you'd like a fixed then Leupold has a few options that are pretty hard to beat. OTOH, I've been really happy with a Steiner 1-4.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Steiner P4xi

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Primary Arms ACSS 1x6 with the preditor reticle. That is what I've been looking at for my 10.5 pistol.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve enjoyed the results from my Leupold mark AR mod 1.5-4x20mm

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking I wanted a fixed scope, but now I am on the fence. I have never had a fixed scope and just thought I would add one to my collection. I do have a Leupold 2-7 scope on my Ruger 10/22 that I like a lot.

Decisions, decisions...

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking I wanted a fixed scope, but now I am on the fence. I have never had a fixed scope and just thought I would add one to my collection. I do have a Leupold 2-7 scope on my Ruger 10/22 that I like a lot.

One way to test the concept of a fixed-power scope is to set your 10/22 on a given power -- say 5x -- then go through the paces of shooting multiple targets at multiple distances. And never change the magnification.

I have never subscribed to the concept of "adding something to my collection -- just because I don't have one". Additions work better with a plan and with some experience. Variety for the sake of variety doesn't often work as hoped.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve been following this post closely. Tons of great info as always but you guys often leave me feeling like the kid who’s mom told him to pick one piece of candy at the store. O_o

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I don't think you need to spend a grand to get a good one.

The Steiner P4Xi and can be found for under $500 if you shop around or look for a sale.

posted Hide Post
Its not that a fixed power optic is per se bad, heck the issued ACOG's had a very good reputation as versatile, durable and usable over a good range of distances. But the new 1-x optics are so much better its ridiculous IMO.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I don't think you need to spend a grand to get a good one.

The Steiner P4Xi and can be found for under $500 if you shop around or look for a sale.

It all depends on your definition of 'good' and what you are using it for.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post