SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    22MAG semi-autos; looking for options
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22MAG semi-autos; looking for options Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
Was asked by a customer regarding various options and choices for a semi-auto rimfire chambered for 22 magnum. Off the top of my head I could only "thunk up" the CZ 512, Kel-Tech CMR-30 and Savage A22 Magnum, all rifles that our shop has sold previously. Later thanks to Google I came up with the Magnum Research Barracuda and Hogue Overmold models, and an Excel Arms Accelerator line, all of which I confess that I'm unfamiliar with.

Anyone have further suggestions on other 22WMR semi-auto rifles out in the wild? This customer wants NIB new production (it's a gift), so I'm afraid that older rifles like an unfired 10/22 Magnum (assuming that I could even find one for him to buy) can't be considered.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think Volquartsen(sp) may make one.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
HK 300 comes to mind, but it doesn't meet the NIB, new production criteria of your customer. Personally, I would be very pleased to receive a used HK 300 as a gift over anything that's been mentioned so far.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Volquartsen suggestion; they actually make eleven different models, though it looks like ten of those are built off of the same action. I will pass this info along.

I didn't know anything about the HK 300; had to read up on it on HKPro. Found a lone one on GB; a spendy bugger if that one is indicative of the current value. Priced higher than a pre-ban HK-91 currently on that auction site. It does sound like a neat rifle, but this customer is one who likes to be the first one to dirty up his guns, and I think he wants his son (the intended recipient) to carry on the tradition.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a CZ 512 American .22 WMR today at a local shop. Very impressive fit and finish and light weight. Trigger wasn't too bad either - much better than a stock 10/22, but not nearly as good as a tuned aftermarket trigger.

I have left handed CZ 452's bolt actions in .22LR and .17HMR (only 2 available calibers in left hand 452's), and a TacSol 10/22 .22LR build (nothing Ruger except the magazines), but nothing in .22 WMR. Might be worth a try...

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
Remington 597 in .22wmr in a variety of optional build specs. I will caution that the 8 round magazines will generally only hold 5 rounds, unless they have addressed that of late. The trigger is greatly improved with a Volquartsen hammer.

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post