SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What to do with a plain 16" AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with a plain 16" AR Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
So with my Tavor, I have a bullpup, a 14.5" pinned/welded AR with good parts, two SBRs, and an AR pistol.

I also have this 16" build that was sorta pillaged for bits when the Tavor came in. It lost its ACOG and the fancy Magpul Pro BUIS. It DOES have a decent BCM barrel and SLR handguard, but other than that, just sorta "ho hum". DSG Arms BCG, ACS stock, MOE grip. I was thinking about selling it but now I'm kinda thinking I might dress it up a little.

Suggestions?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Never hurts to have a backup. Streamlight, BFG Vickers sling, and a new rear sight.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Stick a variable power scope on it, like a 1-6x or 1-8x, for use at longer ranges than your other shorter rifles.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Stick a variable power scope on it, like a 1-6x or 1-8x, for use at longer ranges than your other shorter rifles.

This what I would do. Kind of a DMR sort of thing.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They don't eat much.

Oil it well and stick it in the attic.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I’m with the “stick it back” crowd.
Put it and three loaded magazines in a cheap soft case.
It turns into the “buddy gun”

IOW; Something big happens (societal collapse, zombies, alien attack, digging squirrel uprising, whatever), your buddy shows up at your house w/o a weapon. He is now armed.

Posts: 6297 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, you might find some good deals on 1-4 LPVOs, even these days. You certainly will find some good deals on them after the panic subsides.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If you’re convinced the basis for so-called “panic” will end on 4 November, or soon thereafter because of the election results across the nation and that all the members of ANTIFA and kindred groups will wake up that morning with the sudden recognition of the errors of their ways, then I’d try to make a windfall killing on it now before it’s too late and the demand for such rifles evaporates like the morning dew in the warmth of bright sunshine of universal harmony.

If, however, you have any doubts about all, or any of that, I’d oil it up and put it away while monitoring future developments.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on how deep you want to go into a rifle that is not your go-to gun.

If it was your only rifle, I would suggest a LPVO, and a white light of some type.

However, if there was ever a time in the last 6 years to sell a used AR and not lose your ass, now would be that time.

There's no rush in the immediate future: nothing in the next two weeks is likely to reduce demand for an AR.

But I've been talking with a lot of folks who expect demand to be there for ARs, regardless of the outcome of the election. And due to the players involved, the sun rising on November 4th is not likely to produce any sort of peace-inducing stability.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd put a sling and a budget-priced red dot (Primary Arms, Vortex, etc.) and keep it as a back-up.

Posts: 2475 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
They don't eat much.

This needs a "LIKE" button.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
They don't eat much.

Yup spares are a good thing

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Four is a good even number.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d probably never shoot it over the others so I’d oil it and stash it.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
They don't eat much.

Yup spares are a good thing

agree

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They don't eat much.

But before you do that send Jow Bidumb a pic of it with the caption "can't have this".

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scalarworks Peak Sights and be done with it

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zero1911:
Scalarworks Peak Sights and be done with it

Yup. (but then I'm an iron sight guy...)

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post