SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PRS shooters and others: Shooting a left hand bolt action right handed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PRS shooters and others: Shooting a left hand bolt action right handed? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Or lefties shooting conventional right handed bolt actions.

I was watching a video of a rifle match that required engaging multiple long range targets very quickly, and noted at least one right-handed shooter used a rifle with left side ejection. It seemed that might be an advantage in that it’s not necessary to remove one’s shooting hand from the grip. Except for left-handed shooters using right hand actions, though, switch-side shooting is obviously not a common practice, so I’m curious what the group says here: Good idea or not? Pros/cons?

Note that I’m referring to shooting the rifle with a bipod or other good artificial forend support. Without that support it would be very difficult to hold most rifles up with one’s hand on the firing grip.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot "weak side" countless times in rifle matches. Right handed shooter/rifle shooting left handed, pulling the trigger left handed. We've been doing this for several years in local matches. Enough so that I've shot many weak side dot drills to practice. Also shot a lot off of tripod standing, going back and forth quickly, weak side/ strong side... It was a challenge at first to quickly get a good sight picture. A couple common stages. Roof top weak side/strong side/weak side. 22LR match VTAC wall all weak side. The Steel Safari matches with having to shoot from a set spot it's sometimes better to shoot weak side instead of contorting my body, tree in the way strong side for a couple targets.

Developing the skill set to shoot weak side could be useful in law enforcement, hunting...

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Developing the skill set to shoot weak side could be useful in law enforcement, hunting...

Without a doubt, and that’s something I have little experience with. Your point makes me realize I should work on that skill—at least for the opportunity of an old dog to learn something new. Smile

What I’m asking is about the mechanics of a right-hander shooting from his right shoulder and using his right hand to operate the trigger as normal for most of us, but using a rifle with the bolt handle and loading port on the left side of the receiver. The presumed advantage of that would be avoiding the need to move one’s trigger hand while operating the bolt. As I say, though, from a practical standpoint that would require using a firm artificial support like a bipod because it wouldn’t be possible to hold the rifle up off the ground just by using one’s trigger hand.

But would there be any other considerations for a right-handed shooter using left side bolt operation besides the need for artificial support?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post