SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    UPDATE IN OP: Recommend 7mm-08 commercial deer hunting round
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE IN OP: Recommend 7mm-08 commercial deer hunting round Login/Join 
Picture of sjames
posted
A buddy has a Browning in 7mm-08 that has been giving him a hard time grouping well and has asked for my help. Checked all the normal things but I believe it’s his choice of ammo. He’s not much of a gun guy and has the mind that more money equals better performance AND, when something says super performance, it has to be incredible, right?

So the first ammo he sent to me to test the gun with was Hornady Super Performance, doing like 3200fps! I don’t think that’s this gun’s sweet spot.

This is the first 7mm-08 I’ve dealt with.

What rounds have you had success with?

I like Barnes monolithic bullets, I’m guessing at a 140 grain-ish weight range, and somewhere around 2700-2800 FPS.

UPDATE:

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Got the troublesome rifle to the range today. I found Fusion 140 Grains at Academy along with some reduced recoil Hornady 120 SSTs.

Pleased to say that the Fusions were the perfect choice and the rifle is now zeroed, dead-on. The rifle did not like this Hornady load either.

Gave the targets and the rifle to my friend and he’s happy.

All in all, a great day at the range!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjames,

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine swears by the 140 grain Federal Fusion. They also offer a 120 grain load, if your rifle prefers lighter/faster bullets. You might buy a box of each, and see which one shoots better in your particular rifle.

I don't have a 7mm-08, but I've used Fusion rounds in several other calibers (.308, .30-06, 7.62x39, and .223) with good effect.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rogue.

I’ll order a box of each to give a shot in his rifle.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also recommend Fusion ammo. My 270 and 308 bolt actions are a touch more accurate with the lighter bullet weights offered per caliber.

Posts: 7872 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using Fusions also in .308 with good results.

Only real way to be sure is buy a few box of commercially available rounds and see what works best.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
For me, terminal bullet performance takes precedence over dead on balls accuracy in a hunting gun.

I like Federal ammo and I like Nosler Partition, Sierra Game King, and Barnes copper bullets. Any combination of those should be more than accurate for killing deer.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Remington's 140gr Cor-Lokt load has produced many one-shot kills on deer for both me and my wife for over 20 years.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
No offense intended, but deer in general just don't require anything fancy when it comes to bullets.

Don't let your buddy feel bad about it, we all go through a phase like that, but it just isn't necessary.

Buy two or three different makes of flat base spitzers in the 140-160ish weight range and see which ones group best. Then use those.

I've had great luck with Federal, Hornady, and even Remington over the years in lots of different calibers.

Wisdom of the Ages....So many OVERTHINK this stuff. Deer are NOT hard to kill. ANY standard old cup and core bullet will work in that 7mm-08. My wife has used 160 Speers on two mature cow elk...BANG....DEAD.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Remington's 140gr Cor-Lokt load has produced many one-shot kills on deer for both me and my wife for over 20 years.

That's what I use in my 7mm-08

Posts: 33799 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. For those who gave info pertaining to my question, thanks for the data.

I swear some of you guys never read the OP.

Yeah, I know deer aren't hard to kill...I've killed more than my fair share. Will hunt with a 6.5 Grendel suppressed SBR this year.

This guy's rifle should be capable of more accuracy than it has demonstrated when I have shot it with the Hornady ammunition he had.

Additionally, the rifle was an anniversary gift from his wife and he wants to use it to validate her gift to him but doesn't feel confident with it.

Every rifle has a load that it likes and the guy wanted to find his rifle's pet load. Plus, it's chance for me to get him to the range and show him some other firearms that might help him realize guns are more than tools to harvest animals but might, just might, save his life some day.

Consider this:
The guy isn't a gun guy. He takes his rifle out once to sight it in before deer season, kills a deer, and puts it away for next season.

Wouldn't you think that a round capable of better/more repeatable groupings would grant a marginal hunter a better chance of making a clean kill?

Sorry for the vent...but dang...I know what will kill a deer, but that's not what I asked.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
So the first ammo he sent to me to test the gun with was Hornady Super Performance, doing like 3200fps! I don’t think that’s this gun’s sweet spot.

I should have commented earlier -- Hornady SuperFormance ammo has not been a hit with my rifles.

I believe its predecessor was the Light Magnum line. It grouped like dog doo in the pre-'64 Winchester model 70 .270 Dad gave me.

In cold weather, SuperFormance shot nicely in my 308. In hot weather it blew primers and made bolt lifting really hard. Way too hot for a tightly chambered rifle, and I suspect the powder is pretty temperature sensitive.

In my ARs, I rarely found a pattern on which Superformance would shoot accurately in a given gun. The only exception is my best match rifle, which shot lights out the last box of 75 grain ammo I had.

I think SuperFormance is built first and foremost for high muzzle velocity. I suspect accuracy is Hornady's second priority with this ammo line.

The reasons I recommended Fusion:
- It's pretty easy to find, even in most hunting seasons.
- It was generally available during that lovely "8-year period".
- The bullets I dug out of dirt berms expanded well and held together. I defer to those who have hunted with the bullets, but I say that's a good start.
- Ammo prices are generally reasonable. The bullet isn't an uber-special alloy, or made in some new-fangled CNC machine.

Posts: 7872 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are the groups at what distance and what ammunition?
Believe it or not 2-3 " groups at 100 yds can be the norm for some shooters AND will take deer.-Richard
BTW I use 140 gr Nosler 7mm-08.-Richard

Posts: 223 | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by budrichard:
What are the groups at what distance and what ammunition?
Believe it or not 2-3 " groups at 100 yds can be the norm for some shooters AND will take deer.-Richard
BTW I use 140 gr Nosler 7mm-08.-Richard

4-5 inches at 100 yards with me shooting the rifle. I'm not the best shooter but can shoot 1 MOA groups with my rifles and did so on the same day I shot his rifle.

Read the OP for the rest of the info

Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

I think SuperFormance is built first and foremost for high muzzle velocity. I suspect accuracy is Hornady's second priority with this ammo line.

This is why I sought the wisdom of the forum. I believe the Hornady to be going way too fast and, as a result, has a bit more recoil than necessary, especially in a light hunting rifle.

posted Hide Post
Norma sells a few loads in 7-08 that are a little heavier (longer). Might help sort out that barrel. I've had good luck with their ammo in 6.5 Swede. Good luck, sounds like a nice project.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
FWIW: I've been shooting Barnes (solid copper HPs) TTX and TTSX bullets out of cartridges loaded by Double Tap for several years now. The bullets work perfectly and I'm extremely happy with the consistent accuracy provided by Double Tap. I've shot mule deer, wild pigs, elk, and moose with their loads and I really think you'll like them. Note that these 140 grain TTSX rounds are rated at a very reasonable 2845fps from a 22" barrel.

http://www.doubletapammo.net/i...3_368&product_id=426

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with HSM and Nosler

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Try some heavier bullets. My Model 7, 7mm 08 only get feed handloads. Mine shoots the 160 gr Sierra SBT much better than 140 gr bullets. FWIW my 7mm rem mag and 7mm STW also really like the Sierra 160 SBT. Something like Federal Power Shok Ammunition 7mm-08 Remington 150 Grain Speer Hot-Cor Soft Point may be worth a try if you don't handload.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...soft-point-box-of-20

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Check to see if the scope mount screws are tight.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I've shot 20-30 deer with the Hornady Light Magnum and later Superformance 139 grain SST out of a Remington 700 in 7mm-08.

It never grouped very well for me but it sure did a number on the deer. I never recovered so much as a fragment of a bullet and the contents of the chest cavity would be practically liquefied.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maladat,

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post