SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Experience with noveske pig or Kak mini flash can?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with noveske pig or Kak mini flash can? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
Looking for something to mitigate the blast and noise of an AR in the house without dealing with a suppressor.

Do these help at all? Pros, cons....

Anything else work better?

Help At all on an SBR?

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I have a KX3 on my 11.5" AR pistol.

Initially, I had a DD Gen 2 muzzle climb mitigator installed on it. I knew the muzzle blast would be impressive, but it functioned as intended. Recoil was almost nonexistent. The muzzle stayed put.

I figured I'd give the Pig a try since we had a couple at my LGS. It eliminated the ferocious muzzle blast. I have been looking around for something lighter though.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing will help mitigate noise or flash when indoors except a silencer, full stop. The noise,concussion, and flash all become amplified in a confined space.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a practical matter if it actually mitigated noise it wouldn't be legal without a stamp. That said I put a KAK on a gun temp till I solve a handguard length issue and it does nothing that I could tell. Now I didn't go shooting in a shoot house for testing, but I doubt you will get anything.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do as well. It doesn't mitigate any noise but it does force the blast forward instead of up & sideways like a birdcage FH keeping it farther away from the shooter. It does virtually eliminate all flash. Even from my 11.5" barrel.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
quote:

I do as well. It doesn't mitigate any noise but it does force the blast forward instead of up & sideways like a birdcage FH keeping it farther away from the shooter. It does virtually eliminate all flash. Even from my 11.5" barrel.

Ditto ... I've got a Pig and a $30 knock-off that does the same but it is twice the weight (made of thicker steel and probably weighs 8-10oz), which does help subdue the muzzle rise a tad ... or maybe its all in my head, I've not done any scientific testing

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pigs and similar devices direct the blast forward. That's fine for shooting in an open field, and there is a noticeable reduction in blast back at the shooter.

But inside an enclosed space is completely different -- the blast noise reflects back to the shooter, off walls and ceilings.

Even shooting a suppressed AR15 inside an enclosure is an eye opener. One finds out that suppressors don't suppress everything.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i have a KAK mini flash can and the SiCo blast shield. without the blast shield, the AR is concussive to everyone around. Even 5' behind the shooter, it rocks your bones quite a bit, being an AR Pistol. But with the ASR blast shield on it, even at the indoor range, it definitely reduces that concussive impulse. the sound still bounces off the walls, but that concussion isn't the same level of intensity. of course in small rooms or hallways, it'll probably suck still, but there ya go.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
But inside an enclosed space is completely different -- the blast noise reflects back to the shooter, off walls and ceilings.

This is true.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
<snip>

<snip>

So, what if you carpeted everything ...

I know, I deserve it

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post