SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I went and ordered a CMP Special M1 Garand... what do I need to know?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I went and ordered a CMP Special M1 Garand... what do I need to know? Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted
The title rather says it all. I've ordered one of the CMP Special rebuilt m1 Garands. I've got a couple cases of PPU "Garand Safe" ball ammo, and some en bloc clips. I've also got an adjustable gas plug on hand.

I've been watching and reading up on the proper assembly/disassembly, and cleaning and lubing for the weapon. And I'm aware of the methods to avoid giving myself "Garand thumb."

So, SigForum, what else do I need to know, if you please?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget a good quality leather sling. I prefer the ones that are made by Turners. Also, all of Garand collector/shooter friends swear by Lubriplate grease for the action.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sw4566:
Don’t forget a good quality leather sling. I prefer the ones that are made by Turners. Also, all of Garand collector/shooter friends swear by Lubriplate grease for the action.

And "sling" goes on the shopping list!

How does Lubriplate compate to Lucas gun grease?

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lubriplate was state of the art in the 1930s, and is the white grease in the little yellow containers issued to GIs. Works as well then as now. Modern lubes with moly, and/or PTFE, are probably slightly better from a long term perspective. You will clean yours after every range session, and can re-grease as needed. So, it shouldn't matter.

Posts: 1637 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Just use a grease.

Lubriplate is great. I use White Lithium brand X from the auto parts store. Lucas Oils grease will also do the job.

Off the bat I'd say just put new springs in it. Then you know it's gtg.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:

And "sling" goes on the shopping list!

How does Lubriplate compate to Lucas gun grease?

Lubriplate 130-A Mil-Spec grease was selected by the US Army as the choice lubricant for maintaining the M1 (and M14) rifle. Don't know if the Armed Forces ever tried any Lucas products on any thing.

However any good quality grease ought to work fine.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Lubriplate made the original mil-spec grease for the M1 Garland (and the M1 Carbine?)....The stuff just works! Per CMP, "It is the correct lubrication for the M1 Garand and absolutely critical for its proper operation."

The mil-spec designation is MIL-g-46003, but the actual product is Lubriplate 130-A. Obviously there have been numerous advancements in firearm lubrication since WW II, but many 'purists' swear it! YMMV Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Good gun grease - check. Smile

-ShneaSIG

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Lubraplate is available from Brownells. A pint will last you several lifetimes.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any grease will work but you can find Lubriplate or other white lithium grease at just about any auto parts store.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember, the original white Lubriplate was WWII issue and the collectors will pay good money for it. After a while it separated and needed to be stirred. Post war stuff is brown and I think it works better. Remember to grab a bunch of En-Blocs too. You will not need to use the adjustable gas plug with the PPU Garand stuff. Modern hunting ammo you will thought I be on the safe side.

I have a case (lasts forever)of the little jars of Lubriplate that fit in your trap door. Email your address and I will mail you some. I use it in my AR’s and it works great.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Remember, the original white Lubriplate was WWII issue and the collectors will pay good money for it. After a while it separated and needed to be stirred. Post war stuff is brown and I think it works better. Remember to grab a bunch of En-Blocs too. You will not need to use the adjustable gas plug with the PPU Garand stuff. Modern hunting ammo you will thought I be on the safe side.

I have a case (lasts forever)of the little jars of Lubriplate that fit in your trap door. Email your address and I will mail you some. I use it in my AR’s and it works great.

You're too kind! Email inbound! Thank you!

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
With m2 ball or equivalent reloads you won’t need the gas plug. You need a set of 30/06 reloading dies ( I like small base dies) and appropriate powder and bullets. Most reloading manuals have garand specific load data

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I just received my CMP order - I didn't know what I wanted, but I got two great shooters, for sure. You've got great advice here, so I've got nothing to add other than have fun!!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
With m2 ball or equivalent reloads you won’t need the gas plug. You need a set of 30/06 reloading dies ( I like small base dies) and appropriate powder and bullets. Most reloading manuals have garand specific load data

Sounds like I need a reloading press, first.
Wink

quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I just received my CMP order - I didn't know what I wanted, but I got two great shooters, for sure. You've got great advice here, so I've got nothing to add other than have fun!!

2? That's awesome! Thanks and glad you're enjoying!

-ShneaSIG

Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
In warm climates I will only use Lubriplate white gear grease ( Marine Grade ). My brother was in the Marine Corp in 1957 and that was what they used at that time because of the salt. Iv'e used since 1972 and never have a problem with rust.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy more clips !

Posts: 229 | Registered: December 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagamore-One:
Buy more clips !

Do the en bloc clips wear out?

-ShneaSIG

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
They can, with enough use. They can also get bent if they get dropped and stepped on, or rust if exposed to the elements.

But I wouldn't worry too much about wearing them out. As long as you have a small pile, you'll be fine, and you're unlikely to wear them out. You don't need to hoard hundreds/thousands of them.

The main benefit of having plenty of clips is that you can have all your ammo preloaded on clips before heading to the range.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Rogue said:

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
They can, with enough use. They can also get bent if they get dropped and stepped on, or rust if exposed to the elements.

But I wouldn't worry too much about wearing them out. As long as you have a small pile, you'll be fine, and you're unlikely to wear them out. You don't need to hoard hundreds/thousands of them.

The main benefit of having plenty of clips is that you can have all your ammo preloaded on clips before heading to the range.

I heard:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

You need to hoard hundreds/thousands of them.

Gotcha, Rogue! Thanks! Gonna order a whole bunch more today.

-ShneaSIG