SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Decisions decisions (ar related)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decisions decisions (ar related) Login/Join 
posted
Trying to decide what do do and could use input ( I have always found sigforum more helpful and insightful than other forums!)
Currently my only AR is a “ban era” configuration bushmaster 20” hbar.
I also have a very nice 16” barrel complete noveske built upper ( back when I lived in a commie state I special ordered this with a 16” crowned muzzle barrel) this at the time (2009) cost me around $1300.
I now live in a free state and am trying to decide how to proceed.
The 20” hbar is only useful for the couple times a year I shoot cmp type highpower matches,and I have other rifles (M1) I could use instead if I got rifle of it.
The noveske upper is pretty close to mint ( under 500 rounds fired) but in this soft market doubt I could get anywhere close to the thousand bucks I would want if I sold it.
I can pick up a good quality complete lower to put the noveske on for about $250.
My other options:
Try to get the grand out of the noveske upper and get a Colt 6720 ( the noveske upper is a touch heavy and have always liked the lighter carbines)
Pick up a used Colt and keep everything else
Try to sell the bushmaster ( undoubtedly at a loss in this market)
Keep the bushmaster lower sell the upper and put the noveske upper on the bush lower.
I figure the only markets for the ban style uppers are ban states. Pretty limited. I did try some time ago to sell the noveske upper but had no takers at 1200.
Any input is appreciated!

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You already know what we think, right?

Pick up a new Colt 6720 and keep everything else.

You can pick up one in the range of $850. That is like getting a new one for less than a used price.

And you had to ask? Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd try to avoid selling into the current market. Maybe just buy a lightweight upper if that's the direction you want to go.

No sense selling your quality upper at 50% discount.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...for fairly minimal cost, you could buy a lower for the Noveske and get both barrels threaded for a muzzle device, then have 2 solid ARs for less than the price of buying something or selling and buying.

Or keep the Bushy as-is and have ADCO turn down the Noveske barrel to a LW profile and thread it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You didn't really put a budget on this. But if it were me (and my priorities and money) I'd first get a lower for the Noveske, second I'd do a barrel swap on the BM and get a 16" with a profile I like and muzzle threads, third I'd send the Noveske to ADCO and have them thread it (if I thought it was too heavy you could go 14.5 pinned or fluted (if barrel type is one they can do). And then I'd just go buy the Colt. 'cause 2 is not enough.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
forget about the ban features, and enjoy the bushmaster at the Service Rifle shoots,

buy a lower and complete the noveske, (any lower will do, stock it the way you want and put a good trigger in it,

no need to get either threaded performance wise unless it really bothers you

find and buy a new or used Colt if you feel the need for a lighter gun,

then you have 3, (provided the above does not break the bank) and when/if the market improves, sell one or 2,

FWIW, lowers bring a premium in ban states, uppers are just used uppers (since you can still buy them just about anywhere)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
buy what you need.

as you mentioned - not a seller's market currently.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the responses and I think Lyman has my answer.i do not feel a need to “un-ban” my current tune and am keeping an eye out for a potential deal on a lightweight colt

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post