SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let's see you rifles with bayonets mounted
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's see you rifles with bayonets mounted Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
I have mentioned several times that I am a big believer in the bayonet. Nothing says don't invade my personal space/get off my lawn like a bayonet being held by someone willing to use it.

Here some old school with a modern example.

note on the USMC bayonet, to me it is one of the best examples of a modern bayonet....very useful and practical. Something the M7 was not...we used to can it the MRE opener....as that is all it was useful for, the M9 was much better but still not what the USMC bayonet is. I got this one used for $90 and it was obviously carried but never left the sheath...and is razor sharp.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't have photos of most of my bayonets mounted, but here are a few on some of my Brits:

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
And some rifles have no choice but for the bayonets to remain mounted (although not necessarily deployed). Big Grin

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue...hoped you would pop in....really regretting that I sold my M44....great rifles

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Okay, here's a couple more:

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
That Garand is gorgeous.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It's certainly prettier than my other, more worn and "plain jane" Garand.

Both are CMP Service Grades, but the tiger striped HRA is definitely in better condition than the Springfield.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My social distancing tools:

1917 PTG Mosin M91:

Czech Mauser 98/22 (Only the bolt handle is Turked):

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Not a rifle but I use them to repel "boarders".

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
A 12ga with a bayonet is maybe the ultimate " hey friend you're a bit too close " remedy

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Okay, here's a couple more:

I like that cut down on your M1.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:

Thanks! It's a Springfield Armory dated 1917, which started out as a 16" M1905 and then was refurbished and shortened during WW2 to its current 10" M1905E1 "Bowie point" configuration.

I'm still on the hunt for a reasonably priced unaltered 16" M1905 or M1942 bayonet to go with my M1903, but those are getting pricey and hard to find.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks! It's a Springfield Armory dated 1917, which started out as a 16" M1905 and then was refurbished and shortened during WW2 to its current 10" M1905E1 "Bowie point" configuration.

I'm still on the hunt for a reasonably priced unaltered 16" M1905 or M1942 bayonet to go with my M1903, but those are getting pricey and hard to find.

Yes they are. I have two cut downs however, neither one were cut into the Bowie style.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Spear points are primarily seen on WW2-era M1942 bayonets that were converted. Bowie points are more commonly seen on WW1-era M1905 bayonets that were converted, although some early conversions of M1905s also had spear points before they discovered that this had a major downside and switch to "bowie" points.

The issue was that these WW1-era M1905 bayonets had a deep and square-cut fuller down the blade, which when ground down to a centered spear point, put the point of the blade at an overly thin part of the bayonet and it could easily be damaged. So they eventually switched to an offset "bowie" point to allow for a point at the thickest part of the converted blade.

The later WW2-era production 16" M1942 bayonets had a shallower and rounded fuller, which still allowed plenty of meat in the middle of the blade when ground down to a centered spear point.

So if you want a bowie profile, keep an eye out for earlier (WW1) dated bayonets that have been cut down, and they'll be more likely to have one.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just a heads up and I have no interest in or am a part of the sale for
you Rogue. A nice uncut M1905 S.A. 1906 dated Bayo popped up in the the CMP forum Bolt Action sales section. It seems to have the WWII era plastic/Bakelite/plastic infused with fibers scabbard not the original WWI scabbard if that matters to you.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but $320 is more than I'm wanting to spend.

I know they're selling for that now, but I'm not desperate for one, and am willing to be patient for a good deal.

posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing but, I didn’t know how much you were willing to spend.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Always wanted a bayo for my M39, but they are pricey (last one sold on Ebay for $981 (!). I snagged an M28 bayo for $135. Might not be correct, but it fits & looks the part.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post