SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finally picked up an ar now what sights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally picked up an ar now what sights Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mettlepig:
I just picked up one of these:
https://www.brownells.com/opti...zzClearance%7cRebate

With the 30% rebate, I think it was a good value.

Would this be a good optic for an AK? If so, what mount is recommended? I have a rail that replaces the rear sight on mine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
I'm in the process of putting together a BCM upper and lower for my first AR. I chose the Trijicon MRO with an SLR co-witness mount, I got it off Amazon for $360 shipped, the mount was $70.

I have only been able to play with it mounted on the upper, I pick up the lower on Wednesday. I hope I can follow up with an update in a few days. So far I am really impressed with it. I have the updated 89XXX+ serial number version.

My second choice was the Aimpoint Pro, they are comparable price and performance. The Aimpoint has a built in mount.

Be careful buying optics on Amazon, Ebay, etc.

Chinese fakes are out there.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Red dot vs. low powered magnified optic depends on your criteria.

Cost, distance you will be shooting, size of targets you intend to shoot, weight of the optic, etc....

I generally much prefer a good quality 1-4/5/6x over a red dot, but red dots do have a niche where they work very well.

Steiner P4Xi, is a good option.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you need the rifle to do.

Red Dots? I like the Aimpoint PRO. Battery lasts forever and you can co-witness with your BUIS.

Illuminated Reticle? - Vortex Strike Eagle gives you low light capability and 1-6x magnification.

More magnification? - There are plenty of decent 3-9x or 4-12x scopes that will give you all the glass you need to get out as far as the AR will go. A Nikon M223 is good starting spot.

All the options above have competition above and below in price. Its all about your needs and what optic meets that requirement. I've wasted a lot of time and money buying optics and later shelving them for something else. Figure out first what capability is most important and then work back to the gear.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:

Would this be a good optic for an AK? If so, what mount is recommended? I have a rail that replaces the rear sight on mine.

Not so good for an AK, unless it is a .223 cal.
Bullet drop reticle is for .223

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not so good for an AK, unless it is a .223 cal.
Bullet drop reticle is for .223

Thanks for the info. Mine's 7.62X39 so no good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Am I the only guy left who likes irons for under 200 yards?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

Irons are ok until the sun is in your eyes, or it is almost dark, or the target is quite small, or the target is almost the same color as the background terrain.....

If you are shooting high contrast targets all the time, irons can be great.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:

Irons are ok until the sun is in your eyes, or it is almost dark, or the target is quite small, or the target is almost the same color as the background terrain.....

If you are shooting high contrast targets all the time, irons can be great.

I think irons are great for short to med range shooting. Say out to 150 yards or so. As articulated above you've got a lot of things going against you at longer ranges with irons. Still, I think they fill a need a good many AR shooters are looking for. If you're going to go with irons, do something other than flip ups. I view flip ups as back ups, not the main sighting system. Then go for a solid front sight. Either an A2 or even a Picatinny mounted stationary front sight along with a stationary adjustable rear sight.

Awhile back Para posted a picture of his AR with just such an arrangement and it looked really solid. Maybe he'll wonder by and post the picture again.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint or ACOG. Wink

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
NCSTAR is headquartered in southern California, Vortex is from Where? Prefer Domestic Production. Thanks in Advance.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
NCSTAR is headquartered in southern California, Vortex is from Where? Prefer Domestic Production.

Domestic headquarters does not always equate to domestic-made parts or domestic assembly.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fritz hit the nail on the head. And I would add in 4 decades of competitive shooting and running matches, during which I've seen tens of thousands of competitors close enough to see their equipment I have never seen an NCSTAR product.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine's 7.62X39 so no good.

They make an AK-specific scope that's comparable, but reviews tend to uniformly pan it for not being as well-built as competing scopes. Any reticle that can be read in MOA or mils will work, including a 2- or 3-MOA red dot.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Think about what situation you are going to be in and how long you are going to have to line up your target. Are you going to have time to find and push an illumination button? Every AR weapon I have save one has a glass optic. I'm in the process of re thinking that.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drshame:
Aimpoint Mil=Spec: Buy once, cry once.
https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-compm4/

+1 on an Aimpoint. It ends up being cheaper to buy something good once. I'd MUCH MUCH rather have a used Aimpoint than new cheapie red dot......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s great until your eyes start getting old. Razz

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like the "feel" of shooting irons, especially USGI-style peep sights.

But shooting with a red dot is demonstrably better for a number of reasons - faster acquisition, more precise due to the smaller aiming point, easier to use, wider field of view/situational awareness, more forgiving of imperfect head position or alternative shooting positions, better visibility in various lighting conditions, etc.

Posts: 32425 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post