SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finally picked up an ar now what sights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally picked up an ar now what sights Login/Join 
Picture of lee40215
posted
So finally off the feedback in here bought a sig swat rifle. I’m a noob on rifles so most likely it will see range time not a hunter. So many choices, red dot, reflex or standard scopes. Without breaking the bank best recommendations

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sig romeo 5, is a darn good redot for the price. then just a set of irons if you want to.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a "starter" and "range toy" AR? Primary Arms and Vortex make some nice low price optics of decent quality. I am a fan of prism scope design myself but the Primary Arms 1-4x24 is a nice low priced starter optic.

http://www.primaryarms.com/pri...ted-riflescope-pa14x

Likewise, both Primary Arms and Vortex have nicely priced red dots that won’t go wrong with.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Primary Arms recommendation is a great option for the price. Have one on a 7.62x39 bolt rifle that started as a temp install, worked so well it’s permanent now.

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern Neck, Virginia | Registered: November 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sig Romeo 5 when on sale at Brownells or the Bushnell 1-4 AR for a slightly magnified option.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've got Vortex Spitfire prismatic scopes, 1X and 3X, on two of my AR rifles...the 1X reticle is a circle/dot that reminds me of an Eotech...3X is a ranging type. I like the fact that they can be used without illumination (just a black reticle) if you lose battery power (unlike a red dot)...

Unlike a red dot sight, which allows it to be placed wherever you choose on the rail, prismatic scopes don't have the unlimited eye relief of red dots, so they need to be mounted to the rear (at least for me) where the BUS would mount...being scopes they also don't work well with BUS anyway so it was not a big issue with be...especially with them still being able to function without power...

I have been pleased with both of them...

https://www.brownells.com/sear...fire&ksubmit=y&dym=y

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I just picked up one of these:
https://www.brownells.com/opti...zzClearance%7cRebate

With the 30% rebate, I think it was a good value.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
Mettlepig what 30% rebate if so that would make a great buy. Never mind already sold out

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
They still have them at 179.99 with no mount.
Here is the rebate:
https://www.brownells.com/user...ys_Promotion_MIR.pdf

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Wait for Ebay to have another 20% off coupon and get an EOTech 512 for around $250 shipped. Just ordered two new in box at this price on Friday with the coupon.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Tanner’s in PA has the Sig Romeo 5 for $129.99 and will ship for $12

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint Mil=Spec: Buy once, cry once.
https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-compm4/

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A red dot sight is the single best all-around optic IMHO.

Aimpoint and Primary Arm MD-ADS series (if budget are a concern) are my go-to's. The new Sig Romeos are interesting as well at a good price point.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If you can afford $300 do not waste your time on chicom redots. You can buy a quality used sight for $300. It will work great and retain the value of the $ spent.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not the best timing for me to mention this, but if you can hold out for sales you might do well. There's been a lot of relatively cheap glass out there over the past several months.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of putting together a BCM upper and lower for my first AR. I chose the Trijicon MRO with an SLR co-witness mount, I got it off Amazon for $360 shipped, the mount was $70.

I have only been able to play with it mounted on the upper, I pick up the lower on Wednesday. I hope I can follow up with an update in a few days. So far I am really impressed with it. I have the updated 89XXX+ serial number version.

My second choice was the Aimpoint Pro, they are comparable price and performance. The Aimpoint has a built in mount.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If it's just a range toy, get a Primary Arms red dot.

If it's going to be used as a defensive rifle, spend the extra on an Aimpoint H1 or PRO.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
Hoping it never comes to having to use as a defensive weapon but need to cover all bases. Overall glass or red dot which holds up better or has less issues. Buying a higher end used glass was mentioned pros and cons or new lessor quality

posted Hide Post
The biggest thing is seeing how your eyesight reacts to the various dots and reticles. The best optic out there is worthless to you if it appears fuzzy and out of focus. I have some friends who can't focus on Eotech at all. If you can, get some time at the store or range looking through various models to see what works for your eyes.

Posts: 10 | Registered: March 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee40215:
Hoping it never comes to having to use as a defensive weapon but need to cover all bases. Overall glass or red dot which holds up better or has less issues. Buying a higher end used glass was mentioned pros and cons or new lessor quality

If the AR will pull double duty as a defensive carbine I would probably spend a few extra dollars and go for something like an Aimpoint, Trijicon, or Steiner red dot if you don’t have astigmatism or other vision problems that would prevent you from effectively using one. The Aimpoint ACO optics can be found for less than $400 and, if you hunt around some, you should be able to find the Trijicon MRO for ~$450.

If you do have astigmatism then the Burris AR-1 1x prism scope will be a good alternative to a red dot.

My defensive carbines have Burris AR-332 3x prism scopes mounted only because I can’t afford multiple Trijicon ACOG scopes and because, until the past few years, they didn’t offer battery powered ACOGs.

Edit: Corrected mentioned Aimpoint model and Trijicon MRO price

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DrewR,

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post