SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Older Marlin 30-30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older Marlin 30-30 Login/Join 
posted
I found an older Marlin 30-30 at a gun shop and they are asking $500. Gun is in nice shape and serial # puts it at 1968. Overall condition is very nice with no apparent issues, micro groove barrel and obviously no crossbolt safety.

It seems like a fair price to me but interested in opinions.

They also had a nice JM 30-30 from 2003 for $450.

Any reason to get one over the other?

Thanks!

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My Marlin 30AW (budget 336) is from the late 90s, never had a problem out of it.

Sample size: 1

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you're located, but I'd consider that a little high around these parts unless it was in 99% condition.

But, they aren't making any more "real" Marlins, and they will continue to appreciate.

If it was a .35, $500 would be more in line

Definitely get the older one, IMHO.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a 1956 336 in .35 rem and it's a beautiful gun. Price isn't out of line for a really nice condition gun but if probably offer $425 and see what they say. $450 if it has a scope.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
Not sure where you're located, but I'd consider that a little high around these parts unless it was in 99% condition.

But, they aren't making any more "real" Marlins, and they will continue to appreciate.

If it was a .35, $500 would be more in line

Definitely get the older one, IMHO.

I follow the Marlin market failry closely. The above is true. The micro groove is more desirable but the the prices are still a bit high. Id expect to pay 350-425 for a 30-30. ID be tempted by the older Marlin for 425ish

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

I already have a .35 Rem from 1952 so I am good on that account. I thought $500 might be a bit high for 1968 but they don't seem to be around that much anymore in this nice of condition.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought $500 might be a bit high for 1968 but they don't seem to be around that much anymore in this nice of condition.
It all in what you are after. The older Marlin 30 30 in nice condition are getting few and far between. Marlin put out some decent lever guns back in those days. Now days most shops around here want $400+ for decent newer used 30 30s that are not the quality of the older lever guns. Perhaps it a regional thing but I could see where someone might want $500 for a nicer older one.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One of my biggest gun selling regrets is letting my early 1970s Marlin 336RC go. It sat in the safe for years without seeing use, and I ended up selling it to fund some milsurp purchase. Shortly thereafter, I got into hog hunting, and realized that it would have been a perfect hog hunting gun.

I plan to buy another one of these days. But folks sure are proud of their "rode hard and put away wet" older Marlins around here.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'd pay $500 and be happy about it, assuming it's clean.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
typically see them for 350-450, and cheaper sometimes on the private market.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
'68 isn't older, it's somewhere in the middle. Wink

I laugh at people jacking up the price on pre-Remington Marlins and acting like they're something really rare, because the overwhelming majority of them ever made are pre-Remington. Smile

Condition and price aside, I'd get the older over the newer. Price is a bit high IMO.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the thoughts guys, much appreciated.

I decided to go ahead and pick up the 1968. I have wasted money on sillier things than this, plus the 30-30 ammo is a good bit cheaper than the .35 so I should make up the extra money in no time.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They will never get any cheaper. As they say, you can't pay too much, just too soon. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
'68 isn't older, it's somewhere in the middle. Wink

I laugh at people jacking up the price on pre-Remington Marlins and acting like they're something really rare, because the overwhelming majority of them ever made are pre-Remington. Smile

Condition and price aside, I'd get the older over the newer. Price is a bit high IMO.

They dont bring more money because they are rare. They bring more money because for almost 10 years, Remington was putting out garbage so the only way to to get something of quality without playing roulette was to get a JM stamped Marlin.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If the bore is good, the stocks sound, and it’s mostly rust free, you could do worse. And as someone already said, they aren’t making them anymore. I’ll bet a tall cup of coffee that the action is miles slicker than any new Remlin.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
[
They dont bring more money because they are rare. They bring more money because for almost 10 years, Remington was putting out garbage so the only way to to get something of quality without playing roulette was to get a JM stamped Marlin.

The stuff Marlin was putting out for some time before that wasn't that great either. Fit an finish had slipped and quality control was awful. Basically most of the old tooling was just plain worn out.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I agree that is a bit high. $400, or a little more for
an extra nice one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Paid $287.99 for a 336A at Big 5 February 2006. Most convoluted ffl counter transaction to date (not complaining lol). Still have it - and always will.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post