SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best AR caliber for hogs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best AR caliber for hogs Login/Join 
posted
My son wants to buy an AR to kill hogs on the lease . He's looking at .308 or .300 Blackout . Maybe adding a suppressor later . Opinions ?

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
6.8cpcII is a very good Hog round.
Not a big Blackout fan but it can get pretty quiet with underwhelming loads but that might not be great for hogs albeit a good for suppressors.
308 on the other hand would be more effective but not as "quiet" suppressed as well as much heavier if that is important.
Those led me to the 6.8spcII.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I like 300 a lot and it would be adequate but I would bet .308 would give you more versatility over distance.

I will be watching to see if what the thoughts are.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At this time .308 and .300 BO are the only thing on his radar .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My thought is that there are two completely different platforms, and two completely different hunting scenarios here.

I live in central Florida, mix of fields, woods and palmetto heavy cover. Hogs will always be found near water and a wallow. For me, that means that relatively short ranges are fine, thus I'd go with a 6.8 upper on a standard AR-15 lower, or even a .300 BO. You can also go full thumper with one of the big bore offerings like 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM, or .50 Beowulf.

.308 pattern AR guns are much heavier than Ar-15 pattern guns, and they don't come cheap. I have shot the Ruger offering, and it's a fantastic gun, very accurate and comfortable to shoot, but heavy if you are stalking. Great for long range, or if working from a stand. If that is your hunting environment, it's probably the best choice, and will make a nice long range paper puncher as well.

For me, the choice comes down to what kind of hunting you are doing; i.e., what is the expected engagement range, and how big are the hogs.

For what it's worth, around here, wild hogs are of modest size and the standard gun for hog clearing action from a stand (not hunting from the ground) is a stainless Marlin .22 magnum bolt gun. A decent .223 hunting round in a standard AR will put hogs on the ground if you are patient and go for head shots.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s been an article of faith ever since I started reading about big game hunting that assuming adequate penetration, the more power the better for quick, sure kills. By that standard there’s no question that 308 would be better than 300 Blackout. If shooting supersonic loads with a suppressor, I wouldn’t consider 300 loads to be that much quieter than 308 to justify the lower power and effectiveness.

Only if absolute minimum noise shooting suppressed was the primary requirement would I consider 300 BLK over 308. In my experience subsonic 308 loads exhibit very poor precision.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Obvious difference in performance, all other factors aside, if ranges exceed say 150 yds. The BLK in a 16" can push 125-150 gr bullets with enough for the job, while the .308 will be heavier and certainly not hampered by velocity/energy concerns. I do love my 300 BLK guns, but bullet choice would be the key....308...not so much Wink

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The range and terrain where he's hunting will determine the optimal options between those two. Different calibers for different scenarios.

If he's dead-set on suppressing as quiet as possible, and knows he will only be hunting at shorter ranges, .300 has the edge.

Otherwise, if he's hunting at longer ranges, or in denser cover, or he's not sure, or he's going to be hunting in various different situations, go with .308 to be able to cover all the bases.

I typically hunt hogs with 7.62x39, but that's almost always at short ranges (<100 yards) in low to moderate scrub cover. Anything outside that and I bring a .308 or .30-06.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot them with .223, .300 blk, .308 and even .300 win mag for shits and giggles. From my view, they all worked fine. No pig lived to tell tales of his wound.

.300 win mag was an absolute hammer. It was noticeably harder hitting. I didn’t notice a huge difference between .300 and .308, but clearly .308 is harder hitting on paper, it I couldn’t really see it in the pigs.

The .223 didn’t drop them like the win mag, but it’s not like they ran for a 100 yards after being hit either. Some were DRT with the .223 and others took a couple steps and fell over.

So really, I think any bottle neck cartridge is fine. I haven’t used my 6.5 creed ore to shoot hogs yet, but I will soon. I shoot them mostly in eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania, so they aren’t as big as some down south. But, they aren’t tiny either (usually in the 200’s).

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My brother reports good results with .223 62g soft points as long as the shot placement was there.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
300 Black is a lot of fun, either subs or supers will work for less then 100yd shots in the south fl scrub. The subs are stupid quiet with a can.

I have a Sig 762qd can I switch between a ar in 300BO and 556...the 556 is not hearing safe even suppressed

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While not pigs, i took 4 deer this year with 300bk 200 grain subs, and 175grn 308 subs. All 4 deer were double lung shots. 2 through the heart. All went straight through. Deer never went more than 40yds.

Here is a 300blk out going through a does ribcage, lung, heart, sternum,lung ribcage. Solid material just shreaded. Shot was 75yds.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
If I were buying a small frame (ar15) hog gun it would be in either 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel.

large frame (ar10) opens up the discussion of 308 and 6.5 creedmoor, at the expense of cost and weight.

I think a 6.5 or 6.8 would be plenty and I wouldn't hesitate to even use my own 70 grain Barnes TSX handload on hogs out of my 5.56 AR15.

There is no doubt that something like a 300 Win Mag will smoke the shit out of them. The question is do you NEED to hit them that hard or is the 6.5/6.8 plenty for a quick clean kill.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
My first hunting AR for hogs was a .308 AR10. Got tired of carrying that heavy AR in the field. Started using a lightweight 16" 6.8 AR back in 2012. The AR10 has been a Safe Queen since the then. I've never had a hog run on me when shot with my 6.8. I've killed hogs as close as 10 yards and as far as 300 yards with my 6.8. My preferred bullets for hunting are Nosler Accubonds or Barnes 110 gr TSX bullets.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
62gr OTM 5.56 works fine as well.

I've killed 6-7 with it over the years - the properly placed shots dropped them hard typically - they may fold around for a couple seconds but that's it. Bad hits slowed them down and required follow up shots, just like with any larger caliber.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
SCREW Sub sonic. Use a silencer, by all means, but that does not mean you have to go with weak sauce subs. Super sonic rifle rounds are still orders of magnitude more comfortable to shoot suppressed.

Having said that I would use an AR-15 pattern rifle in 6.5 or 6.8, whatever is easier for him to source ammo for. Super sonic 300BLK is no slouch under 200 yds either with that pricey barnes ammo.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
AR chambered in 6.5 G or 6.8 SPC is your friend.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I’ve shot them with .223, .300 blk, .308 and even .300 win mag for shits and giggles. From my view, they all worked fine. No pig lived to tell tales of his wound.

.300 win mag was an absolute hammer. It was noticeably harder hitting. I didn’t notice a huge difference between .300 and .308, but clearly .308 is harder hitting on paper, it I couldn’t really see it in the pigs.

The .223 didn’t drop them like the win mag, but it’s not like they ran for a 100 yards after being hit either. Some were DRT with the .223 and others took a couple steps and fell over.

So really, I think any bottle neck cartridge is fine. I haven’t used my 6.5 creed ore to shoot hogs yet, but I will soon. I shoot them mostly in eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania, so they aren’t as big as some down south. But, they aren’t tiny either (usually in the 200’s).

That is my experience. I always used a 30-06. When lead ammo was banned in condor country the only copper bullets I could find were 223 . I think any difference was probably in my imagination. Any solid hit put them down, some quicker than others, 30-06 or 223

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a 308 for hogs in Texas. We have some longer shots. Federal Vital Shok with the 165 gr SGK bullet is an excellent all around hunting round. Super accurate. Never lost an animal.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions .