SIGforum
AR-10 spares kit

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6870001054

November 26, 2018, 06:48 PM
RNshooter
AR-10 spares kit
Hey all-

What spare parts do you keep around for your AR-10-style rifle?
Since there is almost zero standardization in the platform, I'm thinking that I should have a spare BCG or at least a BCG rebuild kit for my particular rifle, at minimum.

Most of the lower parts interchange with the AR-15, I believe, so a lower parts kit handles that.

What do you keep?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
November 26, 2018, 09:49 PM
RHINOWSO
I don't have an AR10, but I do have a SCAR 17 which has all the same issues as proprietary AR10s.

At a minimum I'd have a firing pin, complete Bolt, extractor, and any springs / pins etc for that assembly.
November 27, 2018, 01:07 PM
NikonUser
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Hey all-

What spare parts do you keep around for your AR-10-style rifle?
Since there is almost zero standardization in the platform, I'm thinking that I should have a spare BCG or at least a BCG rebuild kit for my particular rifle, at minimum.

Most of the lower parts interchange with the AR-15, I believe, so a lower parts kit handles that.

What do you keep?

Bruce

My AR-10B is from ArmaLite and I got a number of spare parts for it. RHINOWSO covered it nicely and I have a spare firing pin with its spring (the AR-10 FP has a spring whereas the AR-15 FP does not,) and a field repair kit with yet another firing pin and spring and another spring replacement kit.

The ARs run on springs, it's a good thing to have plenty of them.
November 27, 2018, 03:29 PM
mew
not only that but Armalite parts are quality AND affordable.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke
November 28, 2018, 09:40 AM
RNshooter
Mine is a Palmetto PA-10. PSA sure makes it hard to find the little parts on their website!
Email sent to them with a list of needs.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
November 29, 2018, 07:26 PM
RNshooter
I received a reply from PSA: they won't sell a bolt. You have to buy a BCG complete, if you want a spare.

Boo. Mad

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

November 30, 2018, 10:53 PM
c_zielsdorf
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I received a reply from PSA: they won't sell a bolt. You have to buy a BCG complete, if you want a spare.

Boo. Mad

Bruce

Stag just told me the same thing.

Disabled combat vet