SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone trijicon mro users?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone trijicon mro users? Login/Join 
posted
I have a chance to buy a green dot trijicon mro from a friend. Anyone have any input on these? It would be going on a ar15.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I have the red dot version on a 10.5" AR. I've been happy with it. The battery lasted a couple years on a low setting. I've not used it nearly to the point I have with my Aimpoint but so far, I'm pleased. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I haven't "put it through the paces" other than casual range shooting at this point. There's been discussions about it not being a true floating sight, causing hits to be off at longer distances. I've not experienced that either. I've not shot it past 50 yards though. I really like the green dot version of yours, as I've gravitated my other illuminated Trijicon glass towards the green reticle. I just see it better, especially on game while hunting.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've been using one for about 1.5 years now. Had no problems with it. Used the carbine with the MRO for one class, but it was only about a 400 round course with no shooting past about 75 yards. Worked fine for that purpose.

Although I like the smaller footprint of an Aimpoint, I think I prefer the wider field of view of the MRO. The tint of the glass doesn't bother me at all (the class I took it to ended just before a huge storm, so it was very cloudy for the last half and the tint was no detriment to target acquisition at the short ranges involved).

For the price I got mine for on sale at AIM Surplus, I'm pleased.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been buying them for competition only guns as a slightly cheaper alternative to putting an aimpoint on everything(which is what I use on anything serious). I've easily 5-6 of them at this point. No issues. I've tossed them around in matches and banged them against barricades and window slots and the ground etc. and reliability has been fine. I will say that I got one green one to try and I don't like it. I guess after so many years (decades) of picking up a red dot when I see the green one my brain takes a minute to figure out what its supposed to be doing.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one on my CZ Scorpion and love it. Not a single issue in the last year abd a half since I bought it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Had mine since they were first released years ago.
Not a single issue.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I bought an MRO within the first year that they where released during the whole EoTech debacle. I haven't had any issues with mine and have left it on consistently since the day I bought it. I have replaced the battery once, which usually I am on setting 3 or 4. I've found that it's held up well to what I've used it for and I enjoy the wide field of view. I've been able to make hits at 300 yards with my 300 blackout SBR without a magnifier while using it which is much better than I anticipated with me behind the rifle. Suffice to say I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Keep in mind that the green model has a shorter battery life so your experience will be different.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 6 so far, to say I like them is an understatement.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good report with red dot MRO, as well.

Flipping up a full co-witness small aperture behind it corrects my astigmatism induced flare, when I want a better (but slower) sight picture.

Only Now?

Trijicon is offering circle-dot reticles (darn, I want) and there's nothing wrong with my MRO.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'm running green dot MROs on most of my "tactical" long guns, including this SBR'd AR9. The MRO is very well built and I do notice a positive improvement using the green (vs red) dot.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely my go to optic for PCC guns. I have one on both of my MPXs and on my HK SP89. Love the wider FoV over the Aimpoints.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had one for about 1.5 years (red dot) on my CMMG Banshee AR pistol in 10mm. Outstanding optic.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
One of our local agencies uses them on all of their patrol carbines, and I've gotten to play with some. It's a nice optic. They haven't had any issues that I know of, and I like the form factor of the MRO better than my Aimpoint PRO. It's lighter, has a larger field of view, and feels less like you're looking through a tube.

I have to buy my own stuff out of uniform allowance, and I got a great deal on a used PRO through one of our sigforum vendors, so that's what I have on my rifle. There's nothing wrong with it...its a good optic...but if cost was not a factor, I'd be using an MRO.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is sort of the line I don't cross. I think the MRO is nice and for competition very effective. I would never give it the thumbs up for duty (or to me serious use). Aimpoint earned their reputation in this area and the MRO hasn't yet. And there are number of things on the optic itself that I suspect won't do well in real use. But only time will tell.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
This is sort of the line I don't cross. I think the MRO is nice and for competition very effective. I would never give it the thumbs up for duty (or to me serious use). Aimpoint earned their reputation in this area and the MRO hasn't yet. And there are number of things on the optic itself that I suspect won't do well in real use. But only time will tell.

Do tell what those issues are???

I have had mine on my duty rifle for 5 years or so now. We get temps from below freezing to above 100* . It’s been bounced around on a daily basis in the trunk of a Taurus and now the back of a police Tahoe which rides maybe just a touch better than a buckboard. Never have I have I had to rezero it since putting it on the rifle. I do change the battery out annually out of caution though it stays on all the time and has never been dead nor has my dot been dull. They claim 5 year life but I can afford a battery swap yearly.
The thing has been soaked in rain for hours while on perimeter, same with freezing cold snow, and heat. Bounced around drug over brick and concrete.
I have not had it in a sandy/dusty environment nor has it been submerged so maybe that is what you are referring to.

But please do tell where you “suspect” it will not hold up to real use.

————————————————

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'd be curious to hear these issues as well. The agency I'm referring to has had about 40 of them on the road for the past 4 years (including the SWAT guys), and afaik they haven't had any problems with them.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do tell what those issues are???

sounds pretty defensive there Black92LX. Certainly that was not my point. Your specific use or mine aren't really the issue that I was discussing as was specifically noted in my post. The key issue for me is there a large enough population in use and a long enough life in service to judge ultimately reliability for serious use. It's my opinion no, not yet for the MRO. 5 years ish for an MRO versus decades for the aimpoint. There are millions of aimpoints in military or severe use and not so much for the MRO. I'm happy yours has been quite good and it would be nice if that extends in the future and across millions of units. In terms of things on the optic itself from my use that matter the number one is that the NV settings sucks. Number two is that the adjustment on top has meant that I have hit it against windows in a slot and it gets jammed up. And I'm 99% sure that a solid hit on the optic will be worse than that on an aimpoint, but I haven't done that yet in a destructive way, its just an opinion. But none of that matters to concept and theme of my original post which is that aimpoint has a truly proven track record and the MRO doesn't yet.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
You came in with no examples of why it will not hold up with to real use.
I came in with everyday examples of where it does hold up to use over the last 5 years not just competitive use.
Trijicon is a top notch company and has been for decades. They are the pinnacle in a number of categories. It’s not like they are some new up and comer.
Aimpoint is a top notch product and I have used them as well and saying the Trijicon is not a good fit for you works, now that you have provided some examples, but saying the Trijicon MRO is not ready for real use across the board is kind of silly.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I have lots of trijicon stuff. And I have it because I think they are a top notch company making excellent products. But I would give you the example of the RMR type 2 to justify my caution on making sure -even trijicon- products have a sufficiently long field test to get debugged before you use them seriously. We can certainly agree to disagree when that point is. And it doesn't have to involve my specific experience or yours as its really a population over time issue. I appreciate the details of your use.