SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    After many years.....Finally a USGI M1 Carbine...pic heavy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After many years.....Finally a USGI M1 Carbine...pic heavy Login/Join 
posted
I saw this beauty on a local forum yesterday and met with the gentleman to look at it. He was asking $900 but after looking it over I decided to think it over last night and do a little research while I was thinking. We texted back and forth a few times and decided on a trade plus cash. I traded an Italian Beretta 92FS and $200 cash for the M1, 3-GI 15rd mags and ammo.

The carbine is a Quality Hardware with a Buffalo Arms 1943 barrel. From what I read, they made 6% of the carbines that were manufactured. The rear sight is a little loose, but the gun shot amazingly well at 25yds, was more that adequate at 50yds and easily hit man sized targets at 100yds. I fired close to 100rds with zero issues other than 2 rds not feeding correctly. When I got home, the mag that had the issue was all gummed up inside.

When I returned from the range, I took the gun apart and cleaned it. I also put a few coats of linseed oil on it. That made a huge difference in the look of the wood. I think I got the best part of this deal. Now to the pics.

25yd group

50yd group

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usncorpsman,

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice! M1 Carbines are awesome and it seems like you got a fair deal for sure.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a good deal you can get another 9 and did not have to lay out all that cash . I used to have a Rockola with the right parts and I cut stock but sold it a while back , then I picked up an Inland and my friend had all the parts new in the foil wrappers and match them up to my Inland .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Wow, you got a very good deal on that Carbine. Beautiful! There are actually several early features on that gun, Im not an expert, but you may have gotten an excellent deal. If you look around the barrel, is there wear or other evidence that the bayonet lug barrel strap was removed? Also, that stock is a high wood, which is very desirable. However, there is a reason the highwood stocks were modified, they tended to crack just in front of the charging handle. If you plan for this rifle to be a "shooter", I'd buy a GI stock online, and try and keep that stock pristine. If this is more of a collector, then I'd leave it just as she is.

The M1 Cabine is one of the best little rifles out there, even today. Great shooters, good looking, lots of history, but several modern features that you don't find on most guns of that era. Great pickup!

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
If you plan for this rifle to be a "shooter", I'd buy a GI stock online, and try and keep that stock pristine. If this is more of a collector, then I'd leave it just as she is.

No need to swap out for a "shooter" stock. That high wood stock has been sanded and refinished already, so I wouldn't worry about trying to keep it pristine.

Still a good deal on a nice carbine. Enjoy!

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No need to swap out for a "shooter" stock. That high wood stock has been sanded and refinished already, so I wouldn't worry about trying to keep it pristine.

Still a good deal on a nice carbine. Enjoy!

RogueJSK, if you want to make someone else happy with an M1 Carbine, yours are really nice and I don't have one. Wink

Nice Carbine, corpsman!

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice M1 Carbine! Now is that a T1 barrel band, and T2 rear sight? I'm getting rusty...

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You got a screamin' deal. Early barrel band, stock, safety and mag catch from what I can see. Damn nice score!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Every time I get over my desire for an M1 Carbine, someone has to come along and post pics of one. Looks sweet.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
You got a screamin' deal. Early barrel band, stock, safety and mag catch from what I can see. Damn nice score!

And an early milled adjustable rear sight. You sir, stole that rifle. Cool

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
And I just noticed the flat bolt. And early two hole handguard. Nice! Lots of early features on that thing. This one may not have gone through the arsenal upgrade.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Thats a keeper

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Lots of early features on that thing. This one may not have gone through the arsenal upgrade.

It does retain a lot of early features. But the rear sight, at least, was upgraded at some point. The Type 2 adjustable rear didn't show up until early/mid 1944.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great gun and a nice deal. M1 Carbines are one of my favorite rifles.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post